public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mariinsky 2012-2013 (230th) season
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am 

raisssasss wrote:
Is there any possibility to watch the documentary online? I'd really like to watch it!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

http://rt.com/shows/documentary/ballet- ... insky-628/

I see that it was originally produced for RIA Novosti in Russia...so maybe there is a longer version in Russian? It is definitely a recent film, as it shows the kids who danced in the Dec 2012/Jan 2013 Nutcrackers.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm 

PenneallaNorma wrote:
I saw a video on YouTube that I can no longer find. It contrasted Martynyuk and Skorik in the same variation as Kitri, and even though Skorik has definitely improved, you see a huge difference between these two dancers. It is night and day. I can't find the video anymore, but initially when I saw clips of Skorik's Kitri, I actually thought, "Wow! She has improved." But then I saw the video mentioned above and Martynyuk looks like a dancer from the old Kirov videos. She literally blows you away and you realize what is missing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp3i1Izy38k
It's of course user russian ballet video.
Yes, I also think that the difference is huge. Martynyk doesn't have as good body as Skorik does, but her expression is amazing. The best thing about Oxana are her legs and ideal body.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 am 

Side note: a photo of Elizaveta Cherpasova in the leading role of "Giselle" at the National Ballet of Ukraine in January led me to do some research and it seems she's off the Mariinsky roster and presumably dancing in Kiev now...? She was a favorite of the casting directors of late so the move somewhat surprises me...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 am 

Victory Day Performance
Young Girl and the Hooligan, Ballet Imperial, Leningrad Symphony
Mariinsky Theatre
Saint Petersburg, Russia
9 May 2013
by Catherine Pawlick

Victory Day -- celebrations of the victory over Fascism and the final end to the grueling, barbaric Second World War -- is celebrated each year in Russia on May 9. Parades in Moscow and Saint Petersburg begin in the morning, preceded by a Presidential address, followed by various daytime celebrations, and concluded with fireworks at 10 p.m. In accordance with the celebrations, the Mariinsky Theatre also does its part each year to commemorate the veterans who fought to protect Russia from the German invaders by presenting a program of two historical ballets: The Young Girl and the Hooligan, and Leningrad Symphony. This year the two works were punctuated by the inclusion of Ballet Imperial into the program, perhaps a commentary on the theatre's Imperial traditions. A packed house and numerous curtain calls attested to the glory of the evening.

The 1962 production of Hooligan is set in the USSR with sparse abstract sets by Vyacheslav Okunev. Costumes - white leotard dresses and classic white hair ribbons for the girls, and factory worker overalls, or sleek pant suits for the boys - easily depict the times of structured Soviet happiness. The usual heroine in Hooligan is danced by Svetlana Ivanova, sidelined by an injury three months ago, and as a result the administration has been wary to grant her any of her previous roles. So while she appeared in Ballet Imperial, Hooligan was led by Elena Evseyeva alongside the rough and tumble Ilya Kuznetsov as the Hooligan. Kuznetsov is an old hand in this role and perfectly depicts the uncultured brashness of a street boy who has deep feelings he can't quite express appropriately. Instead of tenderness, he uses fear tactics and macho acts to attempt to win over The Girl. Evseyeva danced the girl with full technical accuracy, and her expressions of joy at the end of the tragic ballet were palpable. But missing was the sense of fragility, the high-strung nature of the heroine who doesn't understand this street urchin's repeat proclamations of love - until it is too late.

Ballet Imperial then cleansed the palette with a dose of abstract neoclassicism that somehow nicely contrasted with the two story-based ballets that bookended the program. Oksana Skorik made her debut as the lead alongside Timur Askerov. Skorik didn't crack a smile until the coda section at which point warmth and relaxation infused not only her expression but the dancing itself, which suddenly seemed filled with more ease and less tension. Askerov's petit allegro was briskly brilliant as usual. Valeria Martinouk danced the soloist in pale blue with sharp attack, flanked by Alexei Timofeyev and Maxim Zuizin who both proved attentive partners.

The crowning glory of the evening, however, was Leningrad Symphony. This dance tribute to the history of Russia's participation in World War II is a poignant, dramatic work set to Shostakovich's powerful Seventh Symphony, performed with such gusto during this evening that the floorboards in the first level baignoires were vibrating from the sound. Andrey Ermakov appeared first in the role that Yuri Soloviev inaugurated on this very stage. Ermakov -- tall, sleek and handsome -- depicted the innocence and beauty of youth, and seemed a perfect fit for the lady of the hour, Uliana Lopatkina. From the initial section, "Tranquil Happiness", where joy and optimism reigned on the faces of young men and women, to the invasion of horned-helmet Nazis in brown uniforms and black boots, the ballet covers the full spectrum of emotion incited by war. Konstantin Ivkin stood out among the Russian male corps dancers--the bright young men dressed in pale greys and blues defending their countrymen-- with soaring powerful jumps. Lopatkina's final solo perfectly depicted the grief, angst, wonder and exhaustion incurred by the women of Russia during the war. And when the curtain fell, numerous curtain calls expressed the audience's appreciation of this milestone production that truly should be performed more than once per year.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:23 pm 

The ballet Leningrad Symphony is indeed terrific! It is so moving and powerful and depicts various horrors of war. Very important subject matter. They really should release it on dvd. I think it is an important work, but probably it would not sell many copies, because people do not know about it. A commercial dvd of Young Lady and the Hooligan and Leningrad Symphony would be nice, so that more people are exposed to these two works.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:21 am 

PN I could not agree more and have been saying this since I first saw these 2 ballets (2004)... They are such Russian classics, and no one ever sees them (I wondered about writing the review, bc it will go over heads since no one who reads -- or i should say few who read -- have ever seen these ballets). They are never toured and there are no recordings, not even Youtube...some of Russia's best kept secrets I guess... I think they would receive great attendance in the US if they *were* toured and the sets are not complicated for either. A DVD in high quality would sell a lot of copies! Also: these ballets are never filmed and I think it's an issue of rights or political statements (the Nazi scene...) I just note that in 9 years of watching this every May 9, there are never cameras in the hall that night (i mean official recording cameras from local TV stations, as there usually are when Lopatkina dances).

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm 

Accidentally sent before I finished and then finished and posted below.

Last edited by PenneallaNorma on Sat May 11, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 pm 

I think there are excerpts now on YouTube from the latest performance of Young Lady and the Hooligan. I also found the latest LS. I suspect more and more people will become curious and as more people know a little about them, they will want to see the entire ballet and then maybe a dvd or including it in a tour might become more likely. I hope so. I would love for them to tour the two ballets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:30 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
PN I could not agree more and have been saying this since I first saw these 2 ballets (2004)... They are such Russian classics, and no one ever sees them (I wondered about writing the review, bc it will go over heads since no one who reads -- or i should say few who read -- have ever seen these ballets). They are never toured and there are no recordings, not even Youtube...some of Russia's best kept secrets I guess... I think they would receive great attendance in the US if they *were* toured and the sets are not complicated for either. A DVD in high quality would sell a lot of copies! Also: these ballets are never filmed and I think it's an issue of rights or political statements (the Nazi scene...) I just note that in 9 years of watching this every May 9, there are never cameras in the hall that night (i mean official recording cameras from local TV stations, as there usually are when Lopatkina dances).

They are both indeed wonderful ballets, and contain great dramatic roles. Ilya Kuznetsov's Hooligan is one of his greatest interpretations (although to be honest, every role he dances is superb) and moves audiences to tears. I also saw Shklyarov's debut in the role, which was a good attempt as far as characterization goes, but could not compare with the sheer intensity of Kuznetsov's performance. And Leningrad Symphony is a great vehicle for Lopatkina, whose performance in it is so moving, full of integrity and beautifully danced. These ballets do both deserve to be seen, and would be far more worthy of being seen worldwide than the ridiculous Ratmansky ballets that are toured. I too wish for a great film to be produced of these great ballets so that more people could see them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:16 am 

Thanks, Catherine, for the review and everyone for your comments.

Maria Shirinkina

I've been watching a series of internet video clips of Maria Shirinkina. Since I first saw her in New York City a few years ago I've associated her strongly with Evgenia Obraztsova (formerly Mariinsky).

Maria Shirinkina continues to amaze me and the comparisons with Evgenia Obraztsova are still fascinating. Both these artists fall into the not-tall group and unlike some other not-tall ballerinas such as Ekaterina Osmolkina and Svetlana Ivanova, I wouldn't call their expression particularly linear, a quality that I like very much. Maria Shirinkina, being so thin and using fine emphasis, does have this perhaps more than Evgenia Obraztsova, yet they have something else that makes them so special. They have a less physically expansive loveliness.

For the moment I see Evgenia Obraztsova as being more mature and articulated. Maria Shirinkina's beauty is perhaps in the understatement. I've seen her almost disappear in the jet steam of others and yet the absolute loveliness of what she did can remain in my memory stronger than anything else. She has a contained airiness that threads its way through everything. I sometimes think that we will awaken someday and find that of all the 'obviously' amazing talent at the Mariinsky, this 'unassuming' little bundle of loveliness may have walked away with the entire show.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:33 pm 

There's a segmented video on the internet from the beginning of the year that I've been watching. It's "Carmen Suite" with Oxana Skorik and Ilya Kuznetsov.

This is not the type of plot that I usually focus on, but I was very curious how Oxana Skorik would handle it. Of the few different performances of this work that I've seen this is by far the most sensitive and poetic. There's also a contemporary and believable feel to it. It's not over the top dramatic, but it is compelling. Ilya Kuznetsov as the suitor is almost heart touching in his feeling of confusion, then betrayal. But as stated by the lady who posted the video, Oxana Skorik, because of the near innocence of her 'frivolity', in the end leaves the viewer with a strong feeling of compassion.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm 

Olga Smirnova

(Bolshoi, Vaganova graduate) has just made her debut as Odette-Odile (Swan Lake) and videos have been posted at other forums. The general consensus, including my own, is that she's --

Spectacular !

Oxana Skorik

I continue more than ever to compare the two. Olga Smirnova for the moment seems to be a stupendous mixture of expression (perhaps Bolshoi) and a wonder of refined dreaminess in her motion (perhaps Vaganova (Mariinsky)) and a magnificence of articulation (perhaps Vaganova (Mariinsky) and Bolshoi).

Oxana Skorik is pure ethereal-refinement in essence (Mariinsky). She can show exceptional subtlety and sensitivity. And she has an ability to add an excitement and expression that can be genius.

I greatly look forward to comparing the long and remarkable parallel development of these two amazing artists.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:20 am 

Catherine, I've been watching lots of video clips of Oxana Skorik, not having the wonderful chance to see her live as you can. I just think, more and more, that she is absolutely lovely ! And on and on….

I noticed some very complimentary comments about her from Yuri Fateev (Mariinksy Ballet Artistic Director) that you briefly translated elsewhere. One stands out in particular.

"In addition, she has depth, she has an internal world."

This is one of her many exceptional qualities that I've felt but really never thought of so emphatically. I totally agree.

http://vppress.ru/stories/V-to-chto-pre ... erte-16311

Added later:

Also he says:

"....to not use her would be a crime...."

"She is a born Odette. You can't escape that."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:59 am 

Today is the dress rehearsal of the 3-D filming of Swan Lake with Kondaurova, followed by an 8 p.m. Swan Lake with Lopatkina...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 am 

I've been watching an internet video of the entire performance, May 5, of Don Q with Oxana Skorik as Kitri and Ekaterina Kondaurova as the Driad Queen. In the dream scene there is a beautiful comparison to be made, Ekaterina Kondaurova with her marvelous long lines (some great attitudes) and Oxana Skorik's remarkable fineness. Also there is a 'delightful little creature' dancing 'Cupid'. Even Oxana Skorik, performing alongside her, seemed to be enjoying her presence. Does anyone know who she is ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next