public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nikita Dolgushin passes away
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:06 am 

I just received the news that Nikita Dolgushin passed away, today June 10th. Although he worked at the Mikhailovsky most recently, his roots stem from the Kirov and (later) Novosibirsk, so I am including this post under the Kirov thread.

My deepest sympathies to his remaining family members and to the ballet community for this great loss.

Post subject: Re: Nikita Dolgushin passes away
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 pm 

Catherine, I just saw the news via a Tweet from the Mikhailovsky. Very sad news indeed.

After his unofficial 'exile' from the Kirov, he went to Novosibirsk, where he created the role of Romeo in Vinogradov's R&J. He returned to Leningrad in the late 60s/early 70s and was, in fact, the male star of the then-Maly Theater for many years, overlapping with Vinogradov's own period as the AD of Leningrad's 2nd theater. Dolgushin was one of the shining lights of the Maly before it became the 'Kekhman Mikhailovsky.'

I remember Dolgushin dancing Albrecht on his 60th birthday in '98 opposite Natalia Bashkirtseva of the Yakobsen troupe; at 60 he was still amazingly good and dapper. Also, he was one of the first 'reconstructionists' of Tsarist-era ballets, as soon as the USSR ceased to be. His Pavillon d'Armide at the St-P Conservatory was a real revelation. He truly loved pure, unadulterated Vaganova classical style and was not-too-thrilled with recent changes. (We'll leave it at that.)

May he rest in peace.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:50 am 

Dapper is a good adjective Natalia. I interviewed him just about 18 months ago, and he recounted his whole life story to me, which was fascinating. He had more exuberance than anyone I"ve met, and at the time, more energy than I had! You would never have guessed his age -- I would have pegged him at 45 (only for his hair color) but with the energy of a teenage boy. What struck me most of all is his noble manner, and his enunciation. He spoke as if a gentleman from Olde Sankt Peterburg -- he was one of a kind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm 

What a treat to have interviewed him, Catherine! I also happen to know -- and you may have witnessed -- that he had one of the most AMAZING ballet-film and book collections in humanity. He totally loved the history of the art - not just the art. Passion personified.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:26 am 

Yes, passion and knowledge. He was very well educated, well informed, and it sure showed...