public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fokine Program at the Kennedy Center (January 17-22, 2012)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 pm 

The Mariinski tours an all-Fokine program to Washington, D.C.'s Kennedy Center, January 17-22, 2012. Sarah Kaufman previews the program, which includes "Chopiniana," "The Firebird" and "Scheherazade" for the Washington Post.

Washington Post

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fokine Program at the Kennedy Center (January 17-22, 2012)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 am 

Daria Pavlenko made a welcome return to the USA and to major touring last night, dancing leads in TWO ballets - Chopiniana (Prelude) and Zobeide in Scheherazade. Igor Kolb -- another MT principal rarely seen in the USA nowadays -- was the male lead in both works. The Pavlenko/Kolb "flesh-and-blood" style resulted in an ultra-HOT pas de deux for Zobeide and her Golden Slave. Wowee!

Like Sarah Kauffman, I too was impressed by Ostreikovskaya's Chopiniana Prelude at the opener -- in which poor Maria Shirinkina oddly missed the entrance to her solo, appearing 16 bars of music later! -- but Pavlenko's Prelude was even more stunning last night. Pavlenko is one with the music. Another highlight of last night's "perfect" Chopiniana: Svetlana Ivanova's solo Waltz. Finally, how can we mention Chopiniana and not commend the corps de ballet?

Ekaterina Kondaurova is THE Firebird of her generation, a role essayed in the opener on Tuesday. However, I also loved the big-and-bold (not to say "risky") movements of Anastasia Petushkova, who has been an up-and-coming fave of mine for the past couple of years.

Two performances down - five to go!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm 

Sarah Kaufman reviews the Tuesday, January 17, 2012 performance of the "Russian Seasons" triple bill of Fokine works for the Washington Post.

Washington Post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:50 pm 

Thanks, Francis, for the article.

Thanks, Natalia, for your comments about the performances. I'm glad to hear that you thought that Daria and Ekaterina did so well. I don't recall Xenia Ostreikovskaya for the moment, but I'll certainly watch for her. I'm surprised and glad to hear that a favorite of yours, Anastasia Petushkova, a red hot character dancer, is being given more 'refined' parts and even a lead (The Firebird). Good to hear Igor Kolb's name as well. Among other things, I've seen him keep both Daria Pavlenko and Diana Vishneva 'afloat' when I thought that they both might 'go flying off the stage' at times, they took such chances !

I've only seen Daria Pavlenko perform once since her two Remarkable(!) Giselles at, yes, The Kennedy Center (2006). I really look forward to seeing her again on stage as soon as possible. I hope that you continue to see more great Mariinsky performances in DC.

(Just found something that I wrote about Xeniya Ostreikovskaya at last year's Mariinsky Festival. -- Monna (Giselle) -- Absolutely Beautiful, statuesquely magnificent dancing.

This is what Sarah Kauffman wrote -- "There was suppleness and breath in her dancing, and great delicacy. And, a sense of the body harmonizing with the Chopin, and with its candlelight mood.")

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 am 

Indeed, Buddy. Last night brought mostly delights -- the glorious Zobeide of Kondaurova in SCHEHERAZADE, for starters! I also admired Alexandra Iosifidi's 'soft touch' approach to FIREBIRD, even though it's certainly outside thenorm. Her Ivan was a gent who I hope to see more of at the Mariinsky: Alexander Romanchikov. The role of Ivan is usually a 'throw-away' to a tall, bulky man who is capable of lifting tall-and-big Firebirds. Romanchikov is much more than that; he has enormous charisma and engagement. I thought that he was new...then I remember having admired him as one of the two demi-solo men in the BAYADERE Grand Pas Classique (the Solor/Gamzatti scene) in Ottawa last year.

On the other hand....young Oksana Skorik seemed to be having an off-night, totally out of step with the Romantic style and poetry of CHOPINIANA. She not only made tech glitches in her solo moments but, more disturbingly, perfromed with an angry face. Maybe she thought that she was dancing Myrtha in GISELLE last night? I'll willing to give her a 2nd chance, as she repeats the role tomorrow night (Saturday evening). Sometimes folks just have off-performances. We're all human.

The corps de ballet, of course, was impeccable in all three ballets. Even the minor opening-night glitches with the monsters in FIREBIRD have been fixed.

It's always a joy to have the troupe as guests in my "home theater" in DC!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 pm 

Voice of Russia is now reporting that the current agreement between the Mariinsky and the Kennedy Center is being extended for an additional 10 years. What wonderful news for us Washingtonians who love this company!

Link to story...with typo on title ('Met' instead of KennCen): http://english.ruvr.ru/2012/01/19/64142867.html

Company A.D., Yuri Fateev, has unofficially announced this to Russian media and there will be some sort of big announcement made on-stage after one of this weekend's Diaghilev shows about this , as well as other news about a young American dancer, Ms Keenan Kampa, who will join the Mariinsky ballet inJune (presumably as corps de ballet but...who knows?).

Link to story re. Keenan Kampa annoucement at the Kennedy Center this weekend: http://english.ruvr.ru/2012/01/20/64226719.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm 

The KennCen season ended today without any of the anticipated 'on-stage' announcements promised in a recent 'Voice of Russia' article and VESTI televised report. Regardless, it was a felicitious season, with Anastasia Petushkova drawing a volley of 'bravos' and instant-standing-ovation after today's final Firebird. Today also saw a delectable Chopiniana, with Daria Pavlenko hitting a new high with the most floaty and gossamer Prelude imaginable. The great Uliana Lopatkina closed the season doing her very best to act through a Scheherazade with a leaden, bored-looking Evgeni Ivanchenko as a last-minute substitution for Danil' Korsuntsev, who had been surprisingly passionate on Saturday afternoon, bringing the best out of Lopatkina. All of us who witnessed the 'Korsuntsev Miracle' on Saturday were so looking forward to witnessing a repeat today, only to have a symbolic bucket of water thrown in our collective faces. Ah...the mysteries of Mariinsky last-minute substitute casting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
....it was a felicitious season, with Anastasia Petushkova drawing a volley of 'bravos' and instant-standing-ovation after today's final Firebird. Today also saw a delectable Chopiniana, with Daria Pavlenko hitting a new high with the most floaty and gossamer Prelude imaginable.

Good, Good, Good, Good !

Great to hear this about Daria (Pavlenko) !

I look forward to seeing your very exciting Anastasia Petushkova again as soon as possible since she is getting a chance to expand her horizons and apparently succeeding beautifully.

Thanks for your reports, Natalia.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:49 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews the Fokine program for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 pm 

Natalia, I too thank you for the reports. So glad that someone was on site to report back on the Kennedy Center run. Since those posts, Keenan Kampa's admission to the Mariinsky has been confirmed; she joins this June. I will place that in the general season thread as well.