public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: International Ballet Festival Mariinsky 2012
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:40 pm 

The dates for the ballet festival in Saint Petersburg 2012 are March 22-April 1. This thread is for information about the festival and the casting and program, once it becomes available.

Post subject: Re: International Ballet Festival Mariinsky 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:42 pm 

The only currently 'solid' news that I've found so far about the Festival is that Svetlana Zakharova will perform "La Bayadere," March 25, according to her site.

http://www.svetlana-zakharova.com/Calendar.html

(referred here by a post by Olga K at the Mariinka forum)
http://www.mariinka.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3145

In addition, BalletAndOpera, a large(?) ticket service in Russia, has seats for George Balanchine's "Jewels," March 28, for sale, but offers no other Festival information at this time.

http://www.balletandopera.com/festival/ ... r-2012#an1

Also from an old Sept. 30 Mariinsky press release.

"The International Ballet Festival MARIINSKY (22 March – 1 April 2012) will see the premiere of George Balanchine’s ballet A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The festival will open with a gala concert of ballet stars who were trained by the legendary teacher Gennady Naumovich Selyutsky. Among those taking part will be Igor Zelensky, Farukh Ruzimatov, Leonid Sarafanov, Yevgeny Ivanchenko and Danila Korsuntsev."

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/pressa ... 011_09_30/
(referred here by a post by Щелкунчик at the Mariinka forum)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 am 

Thanks Buddy. I will post any updates to the program as I hear them as well. Are you attending Kennedy Center this week?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:14 pm 

Hi Catherine. As I mentioned at the Mariinsky general topic, I won't be at the Kennedy Center performances, but really hope to be at the Festival.

Daria Pavlenko will be dancing tonight at the Kennedy Center. I wish her and everyone else much success and enjoyment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:59 pm 

And the festival program is now live on the Mariinsky site!

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festivale/fest_2011_2012/ballet_fest_229/

The opening night with "Jeune Homme..." and the two evenings of Bejart should prove very interesting. It seems they have pulled a lot of past performances out for this run, including Le Parc and Ratmansky's Anna Karenina, which were premiered during previous festivals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 am 

Thanks, Catherine. Good grief, what is this...."Modern Week Festival" + 3 full-evening traditional classics, with only two Petipas, the backbone of this company? And a rehash of Ardani/Vishneva-Dialogues was predictable, similar the Ardani/Vishneva Beauty in Motion from '09. Big yawn. The biggest disappointment of all: no Balanchine Midsummer Dream. Wasn't that supposed to be the 'big draw' for the 2011 Festival, postponed one year to 2012?

Perhaps 'modern' is the 'chi-chi thing' to do nowadays if you run a ballet company in St Petersburg? Keeping up with the Nachos.

Another good year to stay home, at least for this Festival.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:47 pm 

I wonder which Bejart works will be presented? Bejart's ballets' emphases are predominantly on the male ensemble and male stars. At this time, the Mariinsky doesn't have a deep well of male stars, nor is the next generation (that's there) being developed or cultivated. Moreover, the Balanchine Trustees must have vetoed "A Midsummer Night's Dream," otherwise I can't think why it's not being presented as announced last season. That in itself is (a little) embarrassing for the brand and the management having to back-peddle what was trumpeted last season. They may also be looking at
the current level of dancing, and the people who have been featured in central roles in his works as opposed to anything else. The Trust has been known to be reluctant to grant permission for Balanchine's works, and/or change their minds and rescind their permission because of dissatisfaction with management's casting decisions.

IMO I think this year's Festival program is the Mariinsky management's attempt to "keep up" with what's been going on cross-town at the Mikhailovsky Theatre under Kehkman and Nacho Duato, since the emphasis seems to be on modern dance works, and less on the bread and butter tried and true Petipa classics. Petipa's legacy has always been the raison d'etre of the Mariinsky company. This new modern slant is unknown territory for them. This is also a showcase for Vishneva's newest revue "Dialogues," dominated by a work which isn't new in any sense: Martha Graham's "Errand into the Maze."

I remember when the Festival was first initiated. The original purpose was to invite international stars to the Mariinsky Theatre and present them in the classics, as well as encourage and present brand new works (world premieres) by new and established choreographers. The latter purpose has fallen by the wasteside in recent years. A few years ago, in lieu of new works, (or even revivals), Makhar Vaziev, during the last year he was Ballet Director, gave the public a "Swan Lake" marathon for the Festival. This year's festival program, (besides the unknown Bejarts) is basically a
re-tread of former seasons and better festival programs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 pm 

NN, I'm sorry not to see Midsummer Night's Dream either. My bet is they're pushing it out to the White Nights Festival (or have cancelled it altogether). I should be there then and if it is performed, I will report.

Cygne and Natalia, agreed, there is a heavy focus on modern now. I too am curious which Bejart works will be performed. I will post again when I hear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm 

So far....

Ulyana Lopatkina -- "Ann Karenina"
Diana Vishneva -- "Dialogues"
Svetlana Zakharova -- "La Bayadere"

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/fes ... _fest_229/

Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg -- "La Sylphide"
Matthew Golding -- "Swan Lake"
Vladimir Shklyarov -- "Le Jeune homme et la mort".
Jose Manuel Carreno at the Gala.

http://www.timeout.r.../feature/26281/
(thanks to sophia at dansomanie for this information)
http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/v ... start=1515

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 am 

Add to Buddy's information:

There will be two complete nights (Mar 27 & 28) devoted to Bejart works, danced by the Bejart troupe (not set on Mariinsky dancers, as many had originally throught/hoped).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:38 pm 

Very strange... this is the first year another company other than the Mariinsky has had the floor for a full evening, to say nothing of two evenings. NN as you note, it would have been so exciting to see the Mariinsky dancers perform the full Bejart
programs!

The new site format is confusing: the casting at the top, but in the right hand box under "casting" it still says to be announced.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Very strange... this is the first year another company other than the Mariinsky has had the floor for a full evening, to say nothing of two evenings...The new site format is confusing: the casting at the top, but in the right hand box under "casting" it still says to be announced.
The Bejart company's appearance at this year's Festival probably happened for two reasons: a) The management had to scramble to compensate for the second loss in two seasons of the announced "A Midsummer Night's Dream," and b) there was little time for the company to sufficiently prepare the Balanchine or any Bejart work in time for the Festival. My guess is that Fateev felt that the best way to save time (and the company's "face"), would be to invite the Bejart company tout suite. This is a win-win for the Bejart Ballet Lausanne. They get prestige and more exposure.

The site format is indeed confusing; and the management's casting and internal policies remain inexplicable. I've never liked the "TBA" label and it's being used more and more. Kondaurova remains a 1st Soloist, and yet, for a little over 2 years she has been given Principal Dancer "billing," in performances. Here's the most recent example of this: http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... /3/1_1130/. This occurs for other ballets she leads and excels in, whether they're debuts (in this case for "Diamonds,") or routine performances in Principal roles. I wonder if her salary is commensurate with her billing and comparatively frequent casting. My guess is that is isn't. IMO at this stage of her career that's exploitative to say the least. This is just one of the reasons why the Mariinsky (especially under this regime), hemorrhages it's most gifted and talented dancers. It's not just the pros who leave (most recent example being Obraztsova being snapped up by the Bolshoi and others, Lobhukin, Merkuriev and even Zakharova); the three most outstanding 2011 Vaganova graduates (Smirnova, at the Bolshoi, Strelkov at the Mikhailovsky and Shapran at the Stanislavsky) each declined employment under Fateev.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 am 

More names.

Alina Somova and Matthew Golding
"Swan Lake"

Viktoria Tereshkina and Alexander Sergeyev
"Le Parc"

Alexander Volchkov will be Svetlana Zakharova's partner in "La Bayadere".

Last edited by Buddy on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:25 am 

Evgenia Obraztsova (Brava!) will be at the Festival in Divertissement along with a long list of Stars.

(Ulyana Lopatkina, Svetlana Zakharova , Viktoria Tereshkina, Olga Yesina, Yevgenia Obraztsova , Alina Somova, Vera Arbuzova, Igor Kolb, Danila Korsuntsev, Alexei Timofeyev, Alexander Sergeyev, Andrey Kasyanenko, Andrei Yermakov and Béjart Ballet Lausanne’s soloists.)

This Thursday night performance might turn out to be a prelude to the following Sunday's Festival Gala, where the list of dancers has not be announced.

Alina Somova

She will be dancing in all the performances on Thursday, "An evening with Gennady Selyutsky" -- "In The Night" (Jerome Robbins), Divertissement and "Symphony in C" (George Balanchine).

Lots of new cast information.

(click on the names of individual ballets for more dancers' names)

Added comment:

Olga Yesina

Glad to see her name (Vaganova Academy graduate, Vienna State Opera Ballet, Principal) in Divertissement.
I didn't recall her at all, but she appeareared at the " Dance Gala -- Tsunami Relief Benefit -- May 31 -- Paris " and was quite lovely !

("Olga Yesina graduated from the Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet. Has performed at the Mariinsky Theatre in roles including Odette-Odile in Petipa and Ivanov’s Swan Lake, Calliope in George Balanchine’s Apollo, the Queen of the Dryads in Alexander Gorsky’s Don Quixote and the Lilac Fairy in Marius Petipa’s The Sleeping Beauty. Since 2006 Olga Yesina has been a Prima Ballerina with the Wiener Staatsoper. The dancer’s repertoire includes lead roles in the classical repertoire as well as ballets by Kenneth MacMillan, William Forsythe, Jorma Elo, Patrick de Bana, Peter Wright, John Neumeier, Jerome Robbins and Maurice Béjart.")

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ball ... 12/yesina/

and

Vera Arbuzova

"Born in Krasnoyarsk in 1974. In 1992, graduated from the Krasnoyarsk Ballet School. In 1992 joined St.Petersburg Theatre of Ballet of Boris Eifman. In 2008, joined the Mikhailovsky Theatre."

http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/description/77/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am 

XII Mariinsky International Ballet Festival -- 2012

March 22

Prodigal Son

The Siren: Teresa Reichlen (New York City Ballet)
The Prodigal Son: Daniel Ulbricht (New York City Ballet)

Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (premiere)

Vladimir Shklyarov (not officially confirmed) 

Ballet Imperial

Viktoria Tereshkina, Olesya Novikova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko

March 23

Swan Lake

Odette-Odile: Alina Somova
Siegfried: Matthew Golding (The Het National Ballet)
Rothbart: Konstantin Zverev
The Prince’s friends: Yana Selina, Olesya Novikova, Filipp Stepin
Joker: Vasily Tkachenko

March 24

La Bayadere

Nikia: Svetlana Zakharova
Gamzatti: Anastasia Matvienko
Solor: Alexander Volchkov

March 25

La Sylphide

Sylphide: Alina Cojocaru (London Royal Ballet)
James: Johan Kobborg (London Royal Ballet)
Effie: Nadezhda Batoeva
Medge: Elena Bazenova
Gurn: Dmitry Pykhachov

March 26

Le Parc

Viktoria Tereshkina, Alexander Sergeyev

March 27 and 28

Béjart Ballet Lausanne
Ce que l’Amour me dit. Cantate 51. Là où sont les oiseaux. Boléro

No official casting announced. My understanding it that this will all be performed by the Béjart Ballet.

Second Night: Bolero
Julien Favreau (according to Kevin's post)

March 29

In the Night

Maria Shirinkina, Viktor Baranov,
Alina Somova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko,
Yekaterina Kondaurova, Danila Korsuntsev

Divertissement

Ulyana Lopatkina, Svetlana Zakharova , Viktoria Tereshkina, Olga Yesina, Yevgenia Obraztsova , Alina Somova, Vera Arbuzova, Igor Kolb, Danila Korsuntsev, Alexei Timofeyev, Alexander Sergeyev, Andrey Kasyanenko, Andrei Yermakov and Béjart Ballet Lausanne’s soloists

Symphony in C

Alina Somova, Alexander Sergeyev,
Yekaterina Kondaurova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko,
Olesya Novikova, Alexei Popov,
Maria Shirinkina, Alexei Timofeyev

March 30

This is essentially Diana Vishneva's evening.

Errand into the Maze

Diana Vishneva and Ilya Kuznetsov

Pierrot Lunaire

Diana Vishneva, Igor Kolb, Alexander Sergeyev, Konstantin Zverev

Subject to Change

Diana Vishneva, Andrei Merkuriev, Alexei Nedviga, Anton Pimonov, Ilya Petrov

March 31

Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina: Ulyana Lopatkina
Alexei Karenin: Islom Baimuradov
Count Vronsky: Andrei Yermakov
Princess Shcherbatskaya (Kitty): Maria Shirinkina
Stepan Oblonsky (Steve): Dmitry Pykhachov
Daria Oblonskaya (Dolly): Xenia Ostreikovskaya
Konstantin Levin: Alexei Timofeyev
Princess Betsy: Sofia Gumerova

April 1

Carmen Suite

Carmen: Diana Vishneva
Jose: tba
Torero: Konstantin Zverev

Divertissement

Ulyana Lopatkina, Yekaterina Kondaurova Viktoria Tereshkina, Irina Golub, Oxana Skorik
Matthew Golding (The Het National Ballet), Timur Askerov, Kim Kimin, Danila Korsuntsev, Vladimir Shklyarov

Symphony in C

Alina Somova, Maxim Zyuzin,
Yekaterina Kondaurova, Yevgeny Ivanchenko,
Olesya Novikova, Filipp Stepin,
Maria Shirinkina, Alexei Timofeyev