public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:26 pm 

Just a quick note for those of YouTube inclination. There are several video clips from the Dec. 17 performance of "Giselle" in which Lopatkina danced the leading role. This is not a ballet she performs frequently by any means. Of this particular date, Grigory Popov debuted in the peasant pas, a *long* overdue opportunity, along with Elena Evseeva, whose fluid grace reminded me again of how mature she appears on stage. (She came over from the Maly a year ago)

Popov's double tours were precise and faultless, and his triple cabrioles in the 3rd section are noteworthy. You can see some of the clips on Youtube.

Here is one link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgIS26T294&feature=sub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:34 pm 

Another note - this year's Vaganova Grand Prix included the placement of Kristina Shapran (NataliaN, I know you would want to hear this!) as a silver medalist. Soon we will hopefully see her as a regular on the MT stage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:45 am 

On May 1, 2010, the Mariinsky Ballet will premiere Alexei Ratmansky's three-act "Anna Karenina" ballet, set to music by Rodion Schedrin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:17 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
On May 1, 2010, the Mariinsky Ballet will premiere Alexei Ratmansky's three-act "Anna Karenina" ballet, set to music by Rodion Schedrin.

I had heard it was to be premiered at the 2010 Festival (ie. April 25).
Change of plans?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:03 pm 

It seems I had heard that too, JPC, but the *announcement* (in the press release) was for May. It could very well be both. The April casting/schedule isn't up yet for the festival though, so I just am not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 pm 

Of note also in February, as part of the annual Maslenitsa festival, Yuri Smekalov's latest work will premiere on 10 Feb. 2010 at the MT3 (Concert Hall).

The ballet is called "Предчувствие весны," (Presentiment of Spring or Foreboding of Spring), a one-act work set to music by Anatoly Lyadov.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:07 pm 

Alina Somova

A lot has been written here about Alina Somova, so I would really like to add a few more words. For me, like all 'ballerinas', she first of all represents an ideal of womankind in general. I could probably just as easily be writing about Veronika Part, Gillian Murphy, Maria Alexandrova, Ekaterina Kondaurova or any number of other 'ballerinas' that have touched my heart deeply in the last year or so. They each have a different artistic approach but to me they are all beautiful.

Alina Somova is somewhat of a phenomenon. Like any artist she has her own identity. In her case it can be viewed as a very distinct one. She can not be easily categorized for one thing. Having seen her perform maybe ten times in the last four or five years I think that I have had a chance to see many different aspects of her dancing.

She definitely can have a 'freeform' nature. She just seems to take off and do it sometimes and it's not always what folks are expecting. She has switched gears on me a few times, leaving me to reformulate my entire perception of her each time. One night she can be the epitome of ethereal grace--and I mean this sincerely ! The next night she is flying all over the place in 'high wow mode'. I have somewhat stopped structuring my expectations and decided to sit back and enjoy whatever direction she is going in at a particular moment. I have been highly rewarded for doing this.

As for her freeformishness, some folks think that it is part of her youthful development and others like myself sort of welcome it as a bit of freshness.

My overall feeling is that I that I really like her. Not too surprising. She is a woman after all, a woman trying to present herself in the most physically attractive manner possible. This is probably the essence of what brings me to the ballet in the first place.

At the moment my overall definition of Alina Somova is rather simple.

She has a definite abandon and looseness and a definite Wow factor.

She also has a definite

Underpinning of Ethereal Grace.

This is possibly the most important factor in the world of ballet or 'lyrical dance'. I have seen her perform with such Statuesque Airy Beauty that at those times I would put her in a class with Uliana Lopatkina, Svetlana Zakharova and others who I feel excel at this particular display of beauty. Their long limbs just sing with airy enchantment !

When I watch her I am more and more aware of this marvelous 'underpinning' of exceptional grace that I see showing through in all the manners of her dancing style.

Not so easy to define is that Spark that she seems to have that gives the refined grace that she possesses that extra something, that makes her a very distinct, compelling and exceptional performing artist.

I like this young star very much. I do believe that she will someday be 'universally' accepted as a great artist, at least based on what I have seen. But then I will probably have to admit to admiring and loving them all !

[typo corrections made]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm 

For those of us who couldn't be there, here's a gift: a 90-minute high-definition video of New Year's Eve at the Mariinsky with wonderful performances by Tereshkina, Sarafanov, (Bayadere) and Kondaurova (Paquita). Great shots of the corps de ballet in Kingdom of the Shades.

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Reveill ... _imperial/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 pm 

Thank you, bcx, for posting the video of "Kingdom of the Shades" from "La Bayadere" and "Paquita." They brightened an otherwise dull Saturday morning for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:08 am 

I just saw that video and WOW!!, it really is quite good, with excellent picture quality for online streaming. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 pm 

It was very high quality. And such a gift to have the full-length Paquita which is almost never danced here. In fact they haven't danced that on home turf between 2004 and now either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm 

bcx wrote:
For those of us who couldn't be there, here's a gift:.....

Thank you bcx for posting this truly phenomenal gift!
What a pleasure it was with HD. The corps de ballet simply dazzled in both works and looked spectacular, as well as Tereshkina in the top rank, and Vasnetsova, Martinyuk, Selina (in both works), Kondaurova, Timofeyev in various solos.

The 'fouettes' sequence of the female principal in Paquita was the only low point in the whole presentation.
The casting bizarreness continues (at least in my view).

Last edited by jpc on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:17 am 

Not just in your view JPC :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
It was very high quality. And such a gift to have the full-length Paquita which is almost never danced here. In fact they haven't danced that on home turf between 2004 and now either.

You mean this is the first time we've seen the Paquita "Grand Pas classique" at the Mariinsky Theatre since 2004? In that case, the video REALLY is a treat! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 am 

Quote:
You mean this is the first time we've seen the Paquita "Grand Pas classique" at the Mariinsky Theatre since 2004? In that case, the video REALLY is a treat!

Yes, I can vouch for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next