CriticalDance Forum
http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/

Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season
http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33702
Page 10 of 10

Author:  Cassandra [ Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Little Humpbacked Horse in Paris

Although strictly speaking this item concerns the 2010/11 season, I've just seen the advance programme of the Chatelet Theatre in Paris and it seems the Kirov Ballet performs for one night only in Little Humpbacked Horse on 1st November.

Now here is a dilemma: just one performance, so should I go and see a ballet by a choreographer I admire or should I avoid on the basis that it is almost certain to feature simpering Somova.

I've a horrible suspicion it will be Somova as with current management thinking she is probably the only dancer they would contemplate a 'one night stand' so far away for.

Author:  Cygne [ Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Little Humpbacked Horse in Paris

Cassandra wrote:

Now here is a dilemma: just one performance, so should I go and see a ballet by a choreographer I admire or should I avoid on the basis that it is almost certain to feature simpering Somova.

I've a horrible suspicion it will be Somova as with current management thinking she is probably the only dancer they would contemplate a 'one night stand' so far away for.

Cassandra, follow your instincts :D.

Author:  Catherine Pawlick [ Wed May 12, 2010 10:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

Am seconding that. First instinct is always right :-). On the other hand, the counterargument is this: Tereshkina, as you know, was first cast. She is also a titled Artist of Russia. It would make more sense to send her if indeed it's just for one night. In *Paris*. Depends on how the administration judges the Parisian public... This one is a coin toss bc logic dictates one thing but practice seems to prove another.

Author:  Cygne [ Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

Quote:
Am seconding that. First instinct is always right :-). On the other hand, the counterargument is this: Tereshkina, as you know, was first cast. She is also a titled Artist of Russia. It would make more sense to send her if indeed it's just for one night. In *Paris*.
Of course it would make sense to send Vicky. However, the Mariinsky management believes that Alina Somova trumps titled Artists of Russia. She opened the last Theatre du Chatelet engagement as O/O. That "trumped" Uliana Lopatkina.
Quote:
Depends on how the administration judges the Parisian public. This one is a coin toss bc logic dictates one thing but practice seems to prove another.
With the Somova Campaign, it's never been 'heads - you win,' 'tails - she loses.' Fateev & Associates misjudged London in general and Covent Garden in particular. It's Paris' turn to share the joy.

Author:  sophia [ Thu May 13, 2010 7:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

Quote:
She [Alina Somova] opened the last Theatre du Chatelet engagement as O/O.


No, she didn't. Lopatkina did.

Author:  Cygne [ Thu May 13, 2010 10:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

sophia wrote:
Quote:
She [Alina Somova] opened the last Theatre du Chatelet engagement as O/O.


No, she didn't. Lopatkina did.


Thanks for that Sophia; my mistake :D.

Author:  Catherine Pawlick [ Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

Just a note for Kirov fans who might be in Petersburg in early June. Leonid Sarafanov will be performing in his own gala on
June 3. Typically such galas mark 10 years on the stage. The program is as follows:

ETUDES
Viktoria Tereshkina, Leonid Sarafanov, Denis Marvienko

PRODIGAL SON
The Prodigal Son: Leonid Sarafanov
The Siren: Yekaterina Kondaurova

ACT IV from DON Q
Kitri: Olesya Novikova
Basil: Leonid Sarafanov

Author:  Madigan [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

Victoria Tereshkina (as far as i know) is debuting as Giselle.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 12/1_2100/

Tatiana Tkachenko will be dancing in Leningrad Symphony:
http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 22/1_2000/

Author:  Cassandra [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Little Humpbacked Horse in Paris

Casting is now official and backed up by Dansomanie.

http://www.alinasomova.ru/content/?page=8

How happy I am that I made the decision not to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  Cygne [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Little Humpbacked Horse in Paris

Cassandra wrote:
Casting is now official and backed up by Dansomanie.
How happy I am that I made the decision not to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cassandra, I'm very happy for you too. It's no surprise.
Quote:
http://www.alinasomova.ru/content/?page=8
Ballerinabotsky Avatarova is in 3D. Watch out for the full rotation; that rather says it all. A friend should let her know to have her website designer use the spell check to fix that "shedule" typo on the homepage. The site had some photo-shopping going on during construction. Obviously, for those of us who, on a few occaisions, have had the misfortune of seeing her live, those aren't "her" legs, feet or arches. The real life pics testify to that fact.

Author:  Buddy [ Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season

I mistakenly put a post here that I have now moved to the 2011 Season discussion.

Page 10 of 10 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/