public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:28 pm 

Buddy, Tatiana Kuznetsova is now a journalist. She is (or was) employed by KOMMERSANT newspaper and has done some p.r. for Ananiashvili.

http://www.friendsofnina.org/georgia/ko ... 072404.htm

Perhaps she will be doing p.r. for ABT...or maybe there are two Tatiana Kuznetsovas out there (an older and a younger)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:15 pm 

Thanks much, again, Natalia. Mystery solved. It is Tatiana Kuznetsova interviewing Natalia Osipova.

http://forum.balletfriends.ru/viewtopic ... c&start=15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
guessing:

Novikova with Sarafanov for cast 1

Somova with Shklyarov for cast 2

Kevin Ng on another forum has confirmed that Vladimir Shklyarov is now practicing for the role of Ivan in the new production of Konyok Gorbunok. Not surprising considering he looks very much like the Ivan from the illustrations of the 1964 Russian-language book of the poem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:07 am 

Quote:
Vladimir Shklyarov is now practicing for the role of Ivan in the new production of Konyok Gorbunok. Not surprising considering he looks very much like the Ivan from the illustrations of the 1964 Russian-language book of the poem.

Before or after his magic makeover?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:01 am 

Cygne wrote:
Natalia, is this a company that routinely gives opportunities to Maryinsky rank and file....

Thanks, Cygne, for initiating the Hermitage discussion.

I, for one, was not really aware of the nature of the Hermitage Ballet.

Now we know that we have sort of a Mariinsky annex to enjoy as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:27 am 

[quote="Sacto7654..... another forum has confirmed that Vladimir Shklyarov is now practicing for the role of Ivan in the new production of Konyok Gorbunok. ......[/quote]

Bingo! That's one down - three to go. I wonder if the other Ivan will be Sarafanov and if the two Tsar-Maidens will be Somova and Novikova? I believe that the Mariinsky is trying to dole-out premiere assignments in a way that will allow all of its younger ballerinas to eventually earn Golden Mask awards...and now Novikova and Somova are 'due.' Osmolkina, Obraztsova &, I think, Tereshkina have already earned their awards...Osmolkina for FLORA, Obraztsova for ONDINE and (I think) Tereshkina for FOUR TEMPERAMENTS or some other Balanchine 4 yrs ago.

Somova was originally scheduled to dance first-cast of last year's major premiere, GLASS HEART, then pulled out at the last minute and 2nd-cast Kondaurova ended up dancing both nights. The big irony is that the "secondary premiere" -- CARNAVAL -- ended up garnering all of the Golden Mask nominations for 2009 and Obraztsova now has a chance to earn a 2nd Golden Mask. Ha-ha! This was supposed to have been Somova's year to earn a Golden Mask, via GLASS HEART. So I think that she is again "in line" for the Golden Mask of 2010 via HUMPBACKED HORSE. But, of course, first she has to perform it well and be a 'hit.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 am 

Natalia, are you seriously suggesting that Ratmansky won't have any say in who dances in his new production? I find that very difficult to believe, just as I find it difficult to believe that the man who promoted the talents of such dancers as Alexandrova and Osipova, would for one moment contemplate using somova when (presumably) the entire Kirov Ballet is at his disposal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:47 am 

Somova to do a role potentially up for a Golden Mask? Given the reception among the balletomanes in Saint Petersburg (and on this forum!) to her dancing style, I think h*** would have frozen over if that happens. :roll:

I wonder if one Ulyana Lopatkina could play the role of the Tsar Maiden, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 am 

Cassandra wrote:
Natalia, are you seriously suggesting that Ratmansky won't have any say in who dances in his new production? .....

I would hope that he does. However, if you ever read the experiences of other great choreographers or stagers of the recent past who have worked at the Mariinsky, you will see that certain 'management favorites' are thrust upon them..."Use my favorite or else..." I would hope that Ratmansky has enough spine to resist the inevitable pressures. This is not to say that Ratmansky might not, of his own free will, consider Somova or anyone else as the perfect Tsar Maiden or Ivan or Humpbacked Horse.

If it were up to Ratmansky alone, I would add the name of Diana Vishneva to the list of potential Tsar Maidens...DV having been his Cinderella in 2002, a ballerina who he invited to the Bolshoi, etc. Given that Vishneva makes NO mention of HUMPBACKED on her calendar of upcoming performances tells me that she is definitely not in the running for Tsar Maiden.

Lopatkina? Why not? How old was Plisetskaya when she created the Tsar Maidenin the first staging of this ballet, to score by her husband, Schedrin? However, the tendency of late has been to give the 'big premieres' to the up-and-coming ballerinas who are itching for a Golden Mask or similar recognition.

p.s. - I would not be surprised in the least if Ratmansky is creating a 'cameo' of sorts for Plisetskaya. She will show up on the stage, I bet, in some form or another. (wink)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:28 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
Natalia, are you seriously suggesting that Ratmansky won't have any say in who dances in his new production? .....

I would hope that he does. However, if you ever read the experiences of other great choreographers or stagers of the recent past who have worked at the Mariinsky, you will see that certain 'management favorites' are thrust upon them..."Use my favorite or else..." I would hope that Ratmansky has enough spine to resist the inevitable pressures. This is not to say that Ratmansky might not, of his own free will, consider Somova or anyone else as the perfect Tsar Maiden or Ivan or Humpbacked Horse.

If it were up to Ratmansky alone, I would add the name of Diana Vishneva to the list of potential Tsar Maidens...DV having been his Cinderella in 2002, a ballerina who he invited to the Bolshoi, etc. Given that Vishneva makes NO mention of HUMPBACKED on her calendar of upcoming performances tells me that she is definitely not in the running for Tsar Maiden.

Lopatkina? Why not? How old was Plisetskaya when she created the Tsar Maidenin the first staging of this ballet, to score by her husband, Schedrin? However, the tendency of late has been to give the 'big premieres' to the up-and-coming ballerinas who are itching for a Golden Mask or similar recognition.

p.s. - I would not be surprised in the least if Ratmansky is creating a 'cameo' of sorts for Plisetskaya. She will show up on the stage, I bet, in some form or another. (wink)

We should all know in due time who Ratmansky's choices are for the 1st and 2nd cast Tsar Maiden. It will be great if Maya makes a special guest appearance! One thing I've discerned is that Alexei is a smart man: He will not do anything to jeopardize his reputation or this important production. Let's hope that the management defers to his judgement, and doesn't interfere with his creative juices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 pm 

NataliaN wrote:

The Alexander Radunsky version of Konyok Gorbunok was first performed on the Bolshoi Theatre stage in 1960, with (I believe!) Maya Plisetskaya as the Tsar Maiden. She was 34 at the time this version premiered.

If Plisetskaya gets a "cameo" role in the Mariinsky Theatre production, I would be very surprised indeed. It would be a pleasant surprise to Western balletomanes, but I'm not sure if the balletomanes in Saint Petersburg would take to this, given that Plisetskaya's career has pretty much been with the Bolshoi troupe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:19 pm 

Vishneva is slated to dance at ABT in April May and June, based on her own website's calendar. She was just in San Francisco rehearsing a new piece with Yuri Possokhov here and I had the chance to interview her. She was going straight to Berlin from SF. So if she is going to be involved in HHorse, it will be on very little rehearsal time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:58 am 

re. Plisetskaya and the Kirov-mariinsky - I am a great admirer of the fabulous ballerina. However, like many of you, I am surprised that she -- that the Schedrins -- are suddenly spending their "autumn years" connected NOT with the Bolshoi but the Mariinsky! Gergiev has welcomed them with open arms...not just this Humpbacked Horse but the opera-oratorio Enchanted Wanderer that was recently premiered and is a big part of the current opera season. Not to forget Lopatkina's recent debut in the Maya-Schedrin Carmen Suite in Moscow...which, I bet, will show up in the Festival, in either the Lopatkina Night or the Gala (or both). Also, the recent British-TV 'Mariinsky Theater' documentary (shown in December '08, with PAL DVD now on sale) features the Schedrins waxing on about the wonders of the Mariinsky Theater, as if they are the long-time experts. Huh??? Am I in some surreal Kafka play?

Whatever...Welcome to St. Petersburg, Mr & Mrs Schedrin! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Vishneva is slated to dance at ABT in April May and June, based on her own website's calendar. She was just in San Francisco rehearsing a new piece with Yuri Possokhov here and I had the chance to interview her. She was going straight to Berlin from SF. So if she is going to be involved in HHorse, it will be on very little rehearsal time...

I'd like to know why is Diana Vishneva ending up in San Francisco, of all places, rehearsing a new piece? Is there a lack of decent choreographers in Saint Petersburg? :?:

Methinks that it's getting more and more likely that one Ulyana Lopatkina could be one of the two female Principal dancers to play the Tsar Maiden.

As for the Shchedrins favoring the Mariinsky Theatre, is it possible that they had a falling out with the Bolshoi management some years ago? Made worse by the fact Alexei Ratmansky was more or less "pushed out" of his position as Artistic Director of the Boshoi Ballet? If Ratmansky was still with the Bolshoi I'll almost bet even money that the new version of Konyok Gorbunok would have premiered on the Bolshoi New Stage, NOT at the Mariinsky Theatre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:38 am 

Can I possibly change the subject for a moment and describe some of the world that embraces me and I hope others here as we look forward to the next Festival.

To get in the spirit of the Festival I have been turning once again to my videos. It is the Lyrical Beauty of the Mariinsky dancers that so touches me at the moment.

So it is to the "Les Sylphides" video that I have gravitated along with "Swan Lake". It is the lyrical, dreamlike scenes of ballets that generally captivates me--'the Shades' in "La Bayadere", Act II "Giselle", the vision in "Don Quixote"....

"Les Sylphides" ("Chopiniana") seems like such a beautiful, encompassing statement of the Lyrical Beauty of the Mariinsky dancers. They are like no one else. I'm not saying, 'better', just very, very Special. So much of the Essence of the art form seems to be contained in this remarkable dance company. In this ballet it is a lovely balance of lead dancers and group dancers, relating directly to the music and overall poetic atmosphere, that is so compelling to me.

Altynai Asylmuratova is probably the star. I can't imagine a better person at this time to be heading the artistic development of the young Vaganova dance students. She has such an encompassing depth. She is literally one of those dancers that I do not want to take my eyes off of for a moment. There is probably as much Poetic Interest packed into a second of her dancing as I have ever seen.

Yelena Pankova is a marvelous example of airiness and balance. Anna Polikarpova seems to be heart and soul into this one, actually Living every minute of her solo. It is this ability to Live a performance that so elevates a presentation of this kind. Konstantin Zaklinsky is a wonderful support for Altynai Asylmuratova as well as being a poetic focus of the ballet's theme. The Corps de Ballet is like a beautiful dream from which the solo dancing can take flight.

Again the reason for discussing all this is that it seems so typical of what to expect and long for at a Mariinsky Festival.

Of the "Swan Lake" videos that I possess, the one with Svetlana Zakharova (with the La Scala Ballet) is possibly the most Lyrically Beautiful because of her performance. I have to consider her very representative of the Mariinsky, where she studied (Vaganova School) and began her career. I don't have the video yet of Uliana Lopatkina, perhaps because I am still treasuring the imagery from her state of the art "Swan Lake" performance at the Festival from several years ago. Svetlana Zakharova is probably the closest dancer to Uliana Lopatkina in overall basic refinement of beauty on the stage today, that I have seen.

Another related dancer from the Mariinsky is Veronika Part (now at ABT), who is perhaps the most 'Inherently Beautiful' dancer that I have ever seen. I will venture outside the Mariinsky to mention two other Lyrically Beautiful dancers, that continue to absolutely charm me on video, in an effort to present a broader picture. One is Louise Nadeau from the Pacific Northwest Ballet in her Divertissement Pas de Deux (duet) from George Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". The other is Marina Rzhannikova (Moscow Classical Ballet "Swan Lake"). I would charge the "Don Quixote" windmills any day for this lady's Odette, based on what I have seen in her video.

So it is in an atmosphere of Lyrical Rapture and in the company of the above mentioned performances and artists that I presently prepare my mind and my heart for the next Mariinsky Festival.

[corrections made--spelling, Anna Polikarpova's name and Marina Rzhannikova dances with the Moscow "Classical" Ballet]

Last edited by Buddy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next