public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:25 am 

It's a question of cultural policy.

And of policy, as a wider whole.

Where dance technique degrades the artist to the status of a rapidly-broken Christmas toy (shake-it-and-break-it!), this does tend to reveal the disdain in which a certain elite holds its population.

The "technique", if that is the word, deployed by unfortunates like Alina Somova, is shake-it-and-break-it.

Were Russia's political elites to look at such aberrations as a philosophical, rather than an "artistic"' complaint, as such, the appropriate course of action would become much clearer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:59 am 

[quote="Cygne...As far as Obratzova's concerned, "Tchaikovsky Pas De Deux" may be, too uh, "Balanchine" for her artistic temperament. .....[/quote]

Ah -- but it was the TCHAI PDD solo that clinched the Moscow IBC gold medal for her, leaving more touted ballerina in the dust...including Osipova with 'only' a bronze. Obraztsova definitely does the girly-perky Balanchines -- the roles of girly-perky Violette Verdy -- magnificently, IMO. I would love to see Obraztsova/Shklyarov tackle Balanchine's LA SOURCE, for example. EO would be perfect in that or as Columbine or Pierette in HARLEQUINADE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Ah -- but it was the TCHAI PDD solo that clinched the Moscow IBC gold medal for her, leaving more touted ballerina in the dust...including Osipova with 'only' a bronze. Obraztsova definitely does the girly-perky Balanchines -- the roles of girly-perky Violette Verdy -- magnificently, IMO. I would love to see Obraztsova/Shklyarov tackle Balanchine's LA SOURCE, for example. EO would be perfect in that or as Columbine or Pierette in HARLEQUINADE.

Obraztsova/Shklyarov may just get the chance with the Rome Opera Ballet to dance these roles you mentioned. :)

By the way, why I am starting to see Shklyarov and Obraztsova as the successor to the legendary pairing of Vladimir Vasiliev and Ekaterina Maximova at the Bolshoi Theatre? 8) Vasiliev and Maximova literally enthralled an entire generation of ballet fans during their artistic peak in the 1970's, and I can see Shklyarov and Obraztsova do the same within the next 3-4 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Ah -- but it was the TCHAI PDD solo that clinched the Moscow IBC gold medal for her, leaving more touted ballerina in the dust...including Osipova with 'only' a bronze.

I agree with you on Obratzova and Balanchine choreography: I saw her Tchai pdd solo at the Moscow IBC and she was as …..balanchinean as Verdy or McBride, including(in her Tchai solo) a wonderfully articulated gargouillade that I can’t think of another performer of recent vintage approach in execution and style.

Osipova and the bronze, in my opinion, had nothing to do with her dancing per se, which was glorious, but with the double work her non-competing partners offered her. The double work was dismal.
Krysanova, in the senior division, faced the same problem, at least in my view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 pm 

Just a note, back to Kondaurova's debut. My review is out and for anyone interested, is in the December issue of Dance Europe magazine, available online at http://www.danceeurope.net/site/current.shtml or to see the table of contents with images, http://www.danceeurope.net/site/issues/124.pdf.

That same issue also offers my review of Oleg Vinogradov's Romeo and Juliet, performed at the Mikhailovsky Theatre in early November.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:55 pm 

Catherine,

Speaking of Oleg Vinogradov, is his version of Lebedinoye Ozero from 1988 the version that MT uses now? Or are they still using the 1950 Konstantin Sergeyev version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 am 

hi Sacto,
The Mariinsky doesn't use Vinogradov's version...(or perform any of his works since he left his post, to the best of my knowledge.) They dance Sergeyev's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:22 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
hi Sacto,
The Mariinsky doesn't use Vinogradov's version...(or perform any of his works since he left his post, to the best of my knowledge.) They dance Sergeyev's.

The fact MT still uses the Sergeyev 1950 version even now is the reason why I've already thought that this version is the closest thing to a "modern reference version" of the ballet.

(Which does remind me: does anyone know what's the difference between the Sergeyev version and the Vinogradov version of Swan Lake?)

(EDIT) By the way, Catherine, did you see Ulyana Lopatkina as Medora in Le Corsaire back on the 11th?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 am 

Sacto7654 wrote:
....(Which does remind me: does anyone know what's the difference between the Sergeyev version and the Vinogradov version of Swan Lake?)

I saw that version ca 1995 when it was being rehearsed for the US tour. I was living in Russia at the time. The changes were ENORMOUS and controversial, particularly in the final scene, in which 50% of the swans were black and 50% were white. For example, the Valse Bluette was danced in a single row, a-la-Radio City Music Hall Rockettes! The black girls all on the left and the white girls on the right. The Blacks performed a move; the whites would mimick it. Back-and-forth, back-and-forth. Very odd!

I also recall that the costumes were extra-luxurious...very shiny and sparkly. In general, the production was poorly received by critics. It marked the beginning-of-the-end of Mr. V. He lasted only a year or so in real power, after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:48 pm 

NataliaN wrote:

I saw that version ca 1995 when it was being rehearsed for the US tour. I was living in Russia at the time. The changes were ENORMOUS and controversial, particularly in the final scene, in which 50% of the swans were black and 50% were white. For example, the Valse Bluette was danced in a single row, a-la-Radio City Music Hall Rockettes! The black girls all on the left and the white girls on the right. The Blacks performed a move; the whites would mimick it. Back-and-forth, back-and-forth. Very odd!

Ah, er--are you sure you're aren't describing the average large-scale Las Vegas production? :roll: Small wonder why the Russian balletomanes so used to the more "classic" Sergeyev version hated it. One has to wonder did one Ulyana Lopatkina ever perform in a Vinogradov version of Swan Lake or did she refused to do it until the Sergeyev version was brought back (after all, Lopatkina's instructor at the Vaganova Academy was the legendary Natalia Dudinskaya, the wife of Konstantin Sergeyev).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:18 pm 

Sacto7654 wrote:
..... One has to wonder did one Ulyana Lopatkina ever perform in a Vinogradov version of Swan Lake or did she refused to do it until the Sergeyev version was brought back (after all, Lopatkina's instructor at the Vaganova Academy was the legendary Natalia Dudinskaya, the wife of Konstantin Sergeyev).

UL was younger and more obedient back then. I am pretty sure that Lopatkina danced the OV version at the Met, during the June '95 US tour. That was the tour when New York truly caught wind of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:56 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
Sacto7654 wrote:
UL was younger and more obedient back then. I am pretty sure that Lopatkina danced the OV version at the Met, during the June '95 US tour. That was the tour when New York truly caught wind of her.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Lopatkina named to Principal status in 1995? Even before then, I'm sure serious balletomanes knew about her, given that she was very well-liked even at the time she graduated from the Vaganova Academy in 1991. I see one Ekaterina Kondaurova heading in that same direction within a few years, given how well Kondaurova has performed the same classical roles Lopatkina does. :)

Anyway, Natalia, given your descriptions of the Vinogradov version of Swan Lake, I'm glad it got dropped post haste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:02 am 

Speaking of Swan Lake, I just saw on Mariinka.org the pictures of Ulyana Lopatkina from her latest performance as O/O just a few days ago. Beautiful as ever, but she seems to have a much more "mature" look compared to the performances I've seen on online videos from about eleven years ago or the 2006 performance that is now available on DVD.

Post subject: Shirinkina Photo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:48 pm 

From my limited perspective in Irvine, California, isn't that Maria Shirinkina in the Apollo photo, Dec 2008 issue?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:19 pm 

Speaking of Swan Lake, you can see a video of snippets from Ekaterina Kondaurova's triumphant debut as Odette/Odile back in 30 October 2008 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXY-qpz ... annel_page

Cygne's right--she is stunning looking, especially as Odile. And her level of refinement and performance is flat-out superb, too. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next