public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:42 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
(to an OVERLY sold out house -- yes, Lopatkina was dancing in "Diamonds", which explains it)

I remember seeing just very recently on the English side of the MT website the announcement of her recent O/O performance and much to my amusement, her name was listed before the name of the ballet! :o I'm hoping Lopatkina dances Raymonda some time next season (and cause a run on tickets as usual ;) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:48 am 

THe next few weeks prove to offer some exciting performances. In addition to her appearance in the gala on the 26th, Lopatkina will also dance "In the Night' on the 22nd, following Kondaurova as the lead in "Leningrad Symphony", a role I have not yet seen her perform here.

Additionally, the Vaganova Academy will hold its annual graduation performances at the Mariinsky Theatre, three three-hour displays of their latest graduates.

And all this before we hit "Shourale" at month's end. Stay tuned :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:10 am 

Correction: Laurencia has been shifted to part of the program on the 22nd, not the 26th. Still looking forward to it!

Tomorrow and Sunday we have the marathon 4-hour graduation performances...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:13 am 

Good news for Mariinsky dancers at the just-completed Moscow Int'l Ballet Competition:

http://www.moscow-ibc.ru/

Vladimir Schklyarov wins Sr Solo Men's Gold Medal. Also, Alexei Timofeev and Ekaterina Ivannikova won citations of honor ("diploma"). Alas, no award for Nikitina, who was expected to make a splash; better luck next time for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 am 

Thanks for posting that NN. I've been running ragged and just didn't get to it. And yes, congratulations to Mr. Schklyarov for his well deserved award!

Another well-deserved award: Yuri Smekalov just won first place in the 11th International Moscow Ballet Competition for his choreography. This was a surprise to Mr. Smekalov himself, but a welcome one! Two of his ballets were presented (Shklyarov, in fact, dancing one of them). Congratulations to Yuri as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:02 am 

Although this is technically part of the Vaganova Academy, since the graduation performances take place in the Mariinsky Theatre, and since tickets are sold to these performances as part of the regular season offerings, I will keep this in the same thread.

Saturday, June 20, 2009
First of Three Vaganova Graduation Performances.

Part One
Prologue from The Sleeping Beauty

Fairy of Tenderness - Margarita Frolova (9th year = graduating)
Fairy of Jelaousy - Ekaterina Devichinskaya (8th year)
Fairy of Generosity - Kampa Kinan (USA, intern, 8th year)
Fairy of Boldness - Viktoria Brileva (8th year)
Fairy of (Canary) - Oksana Marchuk (8th year)
Lilac Fairy - Yulia Stepanova (9th year = graduating)
Karaboss - Evgenia Kiseleva (9th year = graduating)

Highlights included:

Frolova and Brileva especially. Brileva caught my attention in class at the Vaganova Academy yesterday. Although she has a year left of school, this tall, slender girl, with sleek dark hair and a beautiful face, long lines, has grace and, what's more, good taste and CONTROL. Because of her lines she would have been perfect for Lilac, but alas has one year left to go. She is the epitomy of Vaganova style at its best. I cannot wait to see her next year.

Frolova is adorable - a petite girl with very tight technique, beautiful lines and the ability to dance with her eyes. She easily wins your attention above the others on stage. In some ways impressed me even more than the Lilac Fairy, Stepanova, who was clearly given the "better" role.

Stepanova is very beautiful too - a powerful dancer with a good command of the stage. It will be interesting to see these 8th year dancers one year from now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 am 

Part Two
Mixed Divertissements

In this section, of the graduating students, Alina Kliueva danced Larioinova's "Disappointments" to the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff. A highly emotive, completely modern piece, done in soft shoes, with her hair loose around her shoulders, it offered the opportunity to both emote and demonstrate the modern dance lexicon. Kliueva has mastered both -- she clearly can *emote* and as fully absorbed modern movements, for her they seem second nature. Not of the uber reed-thin look, she is nonetheless eye-catching. I don't know if the MT accepted her, but they should, this girl can move.

Among other graduates in Part Two, Ekaterina Krasiuk danced the pas de deux from "The Stream" (Delibes/Sergeyev) with 8th year student Mikhail Degtryarev.

The Grand Pas from "Coppelia" was danced by Nadezhda Batoeva and Alexei Popov (8th year). Batoeva, a small, curvy brunette, has a winning stage presence, strong jump, innate sense of how to flirt with the audience, and wonderful, almost unbelievable insteps. Popov however nearly outshone her -- with split cabrioles of the like that even the premiere danseurs in the company do not execute. He is one to watch closely.

Finally we saw a unique and extremely promising performance from two very young students who are not even near graduation:

To the music of Liszt came "Consolation", a touching romantic pas with beautiful choreography by Goleizovsky. Olga Smirnova, a student of the second course (7th year) danced this with Denis Zainetdinov (8th year). Smirnova is 17 years old, but she appears, and dances as if she is a mature ballerina with decades of stage experience behind her. Blessed also with beautufl feet, slender arms, a gorgeous face, and a fair complexion, Smirnova has only success ahead of her. It almost seems a shame we must wait 2 more years to see her permanently onstage -- she seems ready *now*.

Last edited by Catherine Pawlick on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:21 am 

Part Three
Divertissements (Continued)

Here one couple took the cake: Tatiana Tiliguzova danced the Adagio from the Second Act of Giselle with 8th year student Alexander Saveliev. Polished, mature and emotive this couple managed to set the mood of the ballet's entire act in just this short excerpt, which is a serious accomplishment.

Tiliguzova is fair, small-boned, but long of line and limb, with beautiful, strong feet. Academically correct, her entrechat quatre en diagonale were tight taps at the ankle, but she hung in the air. And she still added her own sense of longing and desperation as the wili in love with Albrecht.

Saveliev is gorgeous, with super clean cabrioles, (credit goes to Nikita Sheglov, his pedagog) and an innate talent for turning and jumping. He is also blessed with nice lines and feet, which is rare in some of today's male dancers. Some of his tour (landings) came off wobbly, but it was apparent that this was not an issue of talent or training, just nerves. (I wanted to say "but we SEE you have it all"!) ANd he does have everything going for him -- including an evident good work ethic.

The last section was taken from the little-performed (and never in the West) ballet "Gayane", based on a love story in Armenia. This was entirely character dance, but Ekaterina Duganova as Aisha demonstrated power and aggression in her leading role. Likewise, the jumps and expansive gestures of both Grigory Pyatetsky and Aslan Karginov (both 8th year) proved that the MT has an influx of strong character dancers coming its way as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:18 pm 

Thanks for the wonderful 'ARB - imeni Vaganova' reports, Catherine!

Did last year's wonderful female lead of Zaklinsky's 'Classical Symphony' piece, Kristina Shopran, appear this year? She was in the 6th year then...so should have appeared with the 7th-year girls in 2009.

Any word on graduates who may have made it into the Mariinsky troupe this year? There probably are very few vacancies in the corps after the 25 (or so) new dancers were taken in one year ago! They normally invite only a handful of graduates to the main troupe every year. Perhaps Tiliguzanova and/or Stepanova?

Olga Smirnova sounds like a winner, from what you describe. To think that she still has an entire year of schooling to go!

Happy to read that Nikita Scheglov is a coach of next year's graduating boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:38 pm 

Thanks Catherine for the graduation reports! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 am 

Hi NN and Cygne - good to "hear" you :-).

Yes, Smirnova should be in the company yesterday. I can't imagine keeping her in school two more years!

As for those accepted, I've heard rumors but we will have to wait til the fall to know for sure. I think that Stepanova and Tiliguzanova were both accepted, but again, that's not confirmed yet.

I did not see Shopran at all. One thing that was different this year is that they removed the lower level performers. The performance used to be nearly 4 hours long. This time it was only 2 and a half. (A welcome change!) They really were focusing on the 7th, 8th, 9th year students and not those in the lower levels. Only the usual "Scherzo" by Larionova was danced (and I think it was an abbreviated version) in each performance, and Shopran wasn't there. Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova danced the lead with Nikita Lyashenko on Sunday morning and Arina Varentseva and Daniil Lopatin danced it on Saturday morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:11 am 

Thanks again, Catherine. Ah...Danil' Lopatin -- another highlight of last year's performances were the appearances of this lad, who stole the show among the younger boys in Classical Symphony. Glad to read that he is still 'active.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 am 

Indeed! Yes, not everyone has disappeared! :-)

I received confirmation today that Frolova made it into the MT. I spoke to her myself at the Academy so I have it from the horse's mouth. I'm so pleased! She was a darling, sweetheart and very humble. So adorable.

Also, Nadezhda Batoeva is accepted. I dont know for sure about other names.

I did in fact (speak of the devil) SEE Shopran also at the Academy today. So she is around and live and well and beautiful.

Wednesday's performance is the nearly the same as the first two performances (Sleeping B. Prologue followed by divertissements and then some Balanchine) but her name again isn't listed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:15 pm 

Thanks again, Catherine. All good news. I now remember Frolova as dancing a variation from Paquita Grand Pas a couple of years ago (the non-graduation year). She IS a real beauty of face, a-la Obraztsova and Cheprassova...in addition to beauty of dance, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:13 pm 

The French word "precoçité" came to mind when I saw her. She is stunning and intriguingly cute at the same time. If the shorter girls weren't automatically relegated to non-principal status in recent years, (Obratsova in a recent interview with me discussed how you had to dance "Swan Lake" to be considered for principal ranking, and short girls were no longer cast in that role), I would see no reason to assume she would not rise straight to the top. Especially in the pas from Harlequinade, she *was* the adorable Columbine, she didn't act, she became the role. For an 18 year old, that says a great deal. I simply can't sing enough of her praises!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next