public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:39 am 

Buddy wrote:
...I will go with the name that Natalia provided us, Kutepova, for identifying the dancer who replaced Yulia Bolshakova in both Raymonda and Chopiniana. I saw her perform at the Mariinsky Festival but didn't see her name. .....

Sorry, Buddy, but I never said that Kutepova is in NY. Rather, I said that she danced in place of Bolshakova in the Bayadere Grand Pas Classique (Gamzatti & Solor's betrothal) in January at the Kennedy Center. The Kirov (or Kennedy Center?) never bothered to correct the playbill or announce the replacement.

Kutepova is most definitely not in NY. Bolshakova was not in DC (unless she was hidden somewhere in the corps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:42 pm 

A gentle reminder that as much as Somova's performances pain us, we need to stay within the courtesy guidelines.

That said, can anyone edify me about the difference between Chopinana and Les Sylphides. Contrary to what Macaulay said in his review today, I though the latter referred to the older version which is done in romantic tutus & sylphide wings. And the former is the more modern version done in leotards - which, I might point out, SAB did at a recent workshop. I seem to remember that ABT had the rights for Les Sylphides, but then didn't do the ballet. And this is why it's not been done by US companies recently.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:44 pm 

this post deleted to include nysusan's quote in the next post.

Last edited by Buddy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:50 pm 

nysusan wrote:

Yes, I’ve been noticing that dancer, too - ever since the first night. She & Svetlana Ivanova were the 2 lead corps girls in Chopianiana. She’s brunette, about Ivanova’s height with a very pretty, innocent face that’s positively radiant. She’s also been prominent in the demi roles in Paquita & Raymonda, I’d love to know who she is.

Sitting in the Cafe Mozart, a nice place for folks from Julliard or thinking about Julliard, I was trying to remember why I called a young girl at the Vaganova Graduating Exam last year "a young Natalia Osipova-Evgenia Obraztsova". Both these dancers have vibrant personalities and they're about the same size. But just having seen the Bolshoi's Natalia Osipova 'rock the hall' at last year's Mariinsky Festival, where was her extended connection? Our young lady must have been doing some very impressive moves. I do remember her very graceful dancing and the way that she really stood out. Could this be our young lady? Am I correct in assuming that the Vaganova didn't graduate any students last year because it's extended program? Or could this be our mystery dancer? If she isn't then we really have one more amazing talent to look forward to.

Drifting for a moment I remember a similar young dancer (definitely not the same person, but from Russia) who was performing a few years ago at the Lausanne dance competition. She was dancing away in her own little dream world. I thought she was wonderful. I could see her on her way to a Vaganova scholarship. She seemed to get the steps right and everything. I loved her. I think she was eliminated in the first or second round. I was heart-broken! I'm not sure how they chose the winners. All these dancers were so good. She definitely had Osipova-Obraztsova dreamlike tendencies. I won't ever forget her and I hope to see that she made it somewhere someday.

So there are no Kirov performances tonight and I am looking through a local magazine. There seems to be five or six impressive dance events a night here. So I'm sure I'll find something. As for jumping ship and missing a Kirov performance, I don't think so. Not this year anyway.

ksneds, I haven't read what Macaulay wrote, but I was under the impression that Diaghilev changed the name from Chopiniana to Les Sylphides simply to win over the Paris audience with a reference to the beloved French La Sylphide. The ballet is the same. I could be missing your question, though. As for not appreciating Alina Somova, I plead Absolutely--Not Guilty !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:36 am 

nysusan wrote:
Buddy wrote:

...During the final waltz the corps de ballet Sylphs formed kneeling circles around several of their group and did absolutely exquisite backbends. One very young looking lady whose face resembles Evgenia Obraztsova and danced at the front of the Sylphs with Svetlana Ivanova has always been catching my eye because of her beautiful dancing and lovely Obraztsova-esque radiance. Does anyone know who she might be, Catherine, Natalia....?

.....!

Ah, this is Elizaveta Cheprassova - absolutely gorgeous, doll-like face...refined manner of dancing...golden-brown hair. She graduated in '05 or '06. Was one of the prize winners at the last Vaganova Prix competition (along with classmate Marina Chugai, who is also in NYC with the corps). Cheprassova made a big impact as one of four 'Little Bayaderes' in Wash, DC earlier this year. I am so happy that you are noticing her, buddy & nysusan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:03 am 

Ah, Cherpasova! (Still, her face to me doesn't look a thing like Zhenya's...)
You know she only came out of the woodwork during this festival in several of the First Act pas de trois (thankfully). I agree she's a beautiful girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Ah, Cherpasova! (Still, her face to me doesn't look a thing like Zhenya's...)....

Very different but (to me) both are "cutesy-doll" types...a-la Vera Trefilova...the sort of ultra-feminine ladies who would have been the toast of Czarist Petersburg, with a few Grand Dukes in tow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:57 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Ah, this is Elizaveta Cheprassova - absolutely gorgeous, doll-like face...refined manner of dancing...golden-brown hair. She graduated in '05 or '06. .

Thanks Natalia and Catherine. So she isn't the young lady I saw at the Vaganova exams last year. I think that we are all going to have another real treat in store for us. Unlike the young lady that I was hoping for in Lausanne, this young lady was placed front and center in the exam performances. I would guess that we will be seeing more of her.

Could one of you please tell us what Marina Chugai looks like. I, for one, only have a few days left in New York to try and appreciate everyone as much as possible and to enjoy these beautiful performances.

By the way last night I wound up going to a Works In Progress program at the Guggenheim Museum which featured the dance and general stage lighting work (for over forty years) of Jennifer Tipton. I never realized how much is involved. There can be lights coming from all directions that must establish the environments for the artists and the audience. In dance it can become a very dynamic process. It can be a choreography of it's own and Jennifer Tipton considers it far more an art form than a technical pursuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 pm 

Dear Buddy - It's not the most flattering pic of her but here is a link to Maria Chugai -- in Raymonda variation in Jan '08 -- courtesy of "Mme. Poduchka" who is our angel-heroine in the loge.

http://photofile.name/users/poduchka/11 ... nImageLink

...and here is Elizaveta Cheprasova (in SL pas de 3 recently):

http://photofile.name/users/poduchka/11 ... nImageLink

Buddy, did your 'mystery dancer' perform in the Paquita portion of last year's Vaganova Gala? If so, it may have been the young lady who many consider the 'star' of the 2008 graduation class, Daria Elmakova:

http://photofile.name/users/poduchka/27 ... nImageLink

There are several other good classicists in the group, including two ladies who copped major prizes at the last (2006) Vaganova Prix competition, Anastasia Nikitina and Viktoria Krasnokutskaya. The latter also has a bit of the 'Osipova-Obraztsova' twinkle, so it may be she? The Class of 2008 promises to be a bumper crop, at least for the ladies. Time will tell for the guys (Safin, Leontiev, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:33 pm 

Thanks so much Natalia for the information. I am in a rush to get out the door, but I will try an study your descriptions as carefully as possible as soon as I get a chance. I saw the young lady at an exam, not the Gala.

Prelude

Central Park is alive this sunshiny day with little children playing all over. I could imagine them being charmed and delighted by Leonid Sarafanov performing his Spectre De La Rose in front of them.

A little girl was jitterbugging away as her school let out. A teenage, golden-bushy-haired girl went sailing past me on roller skates outside the park attempting an assortment of dance steps. I remember a lady briskly walking through the park extending her arms out every now and then in ever so graceful dance-intended gestures. Dance it seems is everywhere.

"Old friends sit on a park bench...." (Paul Simon)

Strollers walk by just being themselves and the children pass by always being themselves.

Several nights ago the parkside upper story of John Lennon-Yoko Ono apartments was lit up as bright as could be. And as usual in a little while the lights will go on again all over the city.

So as the lights go on the stage is being set for the Kirov dancers to take their microscopic part of this immense cityscape and turn it once again into an Entire Universe of Luminous Grace and Wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:28 am 

Buddy, according to another forum, the two "demi-solo girls" in Chopiniana during this run of the Kirov are Svetlana Ivanova & Maria Shirinkina (dark brunette)....not Cheprasova (strawberry blonde/golden brunette). Shirinkina danced Diana in the 2nd cast of Flora's Awakening at the Mariinsky Festival last year...so the "Two Dianas of Flora" are the two demi-soloists of Chopiniana here!

I have not had a chance to see Chopiniana at the NYCityCenter yet but will do so this coming weekend on two occasions, so I'll get to confirm the above info with my own two eyes.

In the meantime, I am doing another of my overnight Delta Shuttle trips to NY today to see the 2nd classical program -- with particular interest in observing Lopatkina's Medora and Novikova's Nikiya, although all offerings are of great interest. So I'm off to the airport around 1pm this afternoon...flying back to Washington on tomorrow's 6:30am Shuttle and right into the office at 8am...all for our beloved Kirov-Mariinsky Ballet and nothing else!

p.s. Edited to add: Maria Shirinkina was 'acquired' from some other ballet company two or three seasons ago...around the same time that the Kirov acquired the tall soloist Anastasia Kolegova (who is also a Principal with the Maly). I don't know the provenance of Shirinkina or if she attended the Vaganova Academy in St. Petersburg. I seem to vaguely recall that she comes from Perm or Ufa but I may be mixing her up with another recent 'acquisition' in that regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:27 am 

In the Boston Phoenix, Marcia Siegel writes about her experiences sampling dance in NYC, including the Kirov performing "three all-dance excerpts from the Petipa repertory ":
Scenes from the city

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:12 am 

Thanks Natalia, for all of that information! I wish you a good visit to NYC and will be very curious to hear about what you see.

I'm trying to picture Shirinkina at the moment, but can't seem to pull up her face in my mind. She hasn't been cast prominently of late here, that's for sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:20 am 

Here is Shirinkina at about the time when she joined the Kirov-Mariinsky (fall '06...along with Kolegova):

http://photofile.name/users/poduchka/22 ... nImageLink

She has dark-brown hair which can't be seen here because of the 'Amour' wig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm 

Hi Catherine! Please check your PMs. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next