public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:41 am 

Quote:
Zhelonkina - Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks but, I could swear, I saw Zhelonkina dancing in the front row of the corps during the Garland Dance of 'Sleeping Beauty,' last week. Or perhaps it was her 'twin'? To think that Zhelonkina danced Aurora once or twice in the early '90s, before settling into second-soloist roles, such as Florine and Fairy Violente.

Natalia, what you tell me breaks my heart. I've never understood her neglect and know that there are still people in the Kirov administration who recognize that she is possessed of pure Kirov style. In fact her name was mentioned to me alongside Ayupova's as "the only two left". So you see there are people in the Kirov that acknowledge the sad state of affairs that currently exists. But I am overjoyed that Ayupova has returned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 pm 

Well I guess the Jewels thing was the last straw for Vishneva: she has now signed as principal guest artist with the Bolshoi, and will be dancing with them much more than with the Kirov for the next three years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:36 pm 

Last edited by fedora on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:52 pm 

No star of Vishneva's magnitude should be treated as she has been by the Kirov ballet administration.

Last edited by ripowam on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:59 pm 

Last edited by fedora on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:24 pm 

Hold it, folks! Nobody said that Vishneva is leaving the Kirov; only that she is now a principal guest with the Bolshoi, just as she is a permanent guest with Berlin and ABT.

Just like Assylmuratova was a long-time permanent guest with Ballet de Marseille in the late 1990s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:35 pm 
Fedora, don't hold your breath waiting to see Vishneva's Giselle at the Kennedy Center in June. She's already stated (on her website)that she will not be part of that engagement due to her prior commmitment to ABT. She'll be dancing Giselle & Manon in NY right around the time that the Kirov is n DC...
Those of us lucky enough to be in that area can catch her Giselle in NY and then head to DC for the Kirov's, then back to NY for her Manon, then back to DC for the Royal Ballet. My, it's going to be a busy month here!

nysusan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:42 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:09 pm 

I believe I am correct about Vishneva's diminished appearances with the Kirov over the next three years. It's a terrible loss for the company, and as I've said earlier, their touring in the West may/will be affected.
I could be wrong.

I need clarification here: as with other posters, much of my information comes from talking to people, so if this is not considered a legit source of information, "the board" will let me know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:15 pm 

NYSusan,

Yes, middle of June is going to be very busy, and presents a great dilemma for us West Coasters. Knowing who is going to dance the various Auroras for the Royal Ballet's Sleeping Beauty at KC, I must go and see at least three of them, if not all. But then the Kirov is also doing their Forsythe program the previous week. I don't think I can stay for the whole two weeks, but I'm seriously considering flying twice to see both companies.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:42 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 am 

hi Ripowam and others,

Ripowam raised a good question, and for those who were curious:

Announcing casting or other internal company info before it has been officially announced by a company representative or by the press office is considered a violation of the courtesy/gossip policy, which can be found here in its entirety:
http://www.ballet-dance.com/courtesy/

"Gossip can be hurtful to artists and those associated with them or be an embarrassment at a time of contract negotiation. To move beyond gossip, a story must be substantiated by official word from a Press Dept. or directly from the artist (not at secondhand) with their permission for release. ... If you have heard or read a story that suggests that something posted here is incorrect or unsubstantiated, please e-mail admin@criticaldance.com and we will take the matter forward.

Examples of unsubstantiated stories which fall under the category of gossip:

- promotions, exits and recruitments
- relationships forming or breaking. I know of two dancers who regularly walk together holding hands. However, they are close friends and their relationships are with other people.
- pregnancies"

We do consider information posted on company web sites "official", despite the understood unreliability of such information (eg. casting plans) with various companies, even up until performance time.

In the case of Vishneva's info, you're in the clear, as the Bolshoi has a press release out on the subject, so it's open for discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:01 am 

Last edited by fedora on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:44 am 

Whether as a guest or a new company member, Diana Vishneva is scheduled to dance the lead in Swan Lake opposite Denis Matvienko on 29th April. Those with better Russian than me might care to see if there is any further information here.

http://bolshoi.ru/ru/season/ballet/repertoire/detail.php?act26=info&id26=36

And by the way, having met Ms Vishneva socially, I would like to state that I found her anything but a 'primadonna'.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:23 am 

I do read Russian but the site is not designed very intuitively (I'm looking at the site map for more info now)...

There is a section on "invited artists" and it lists Zelensky, Vishneva, and others. Her name links BACK to the Mariinsky Theatre web site, her own profile page. There aren't details about the Odette/Odile debut that I can see, yet, aside from the date and the fact she's dancing w/Denis Matvienko.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next