public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kirov in the SF Bay Area, 2003 - Preview
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:07 am 

I agree about the corps in Chopiniana. I especially enjoyed both Lopatkina and Zelensky in Scheherezade, and Tatiana Amosova as the Firebird.

Anyone who left before the last curtain calls (and you know who you are) missed an embarrassing event that shows that you can't send just anyone out to deliver a bouquet. The first person to walk out gave a bouquet to the Firebird. The second person came out, seemed to be confused by seeing the Firebird already holding a bouquet, and then couldn't figure out who she was supposed to deliver her bouquet to. She even tried to give it to Gergiev, the conductor, then to Ivan Tsarevich, who was standing right next to the princess, who was supposed to get the bouquet. Finally she got it right. It made me cringe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:57 am 

Yes, djb, I too cringed. That sort of thing would never happen on the Mariinsky stage itself! I think those (i'll refrain from saying ignorant) shouldn't be given such tasks. For what those artists go through...(for what any dancer goes through), well, it made me cringe too, and I felt badly for her. Not fair.

But: what a performance. They never cease to impress and amaze me. They're seriously the only troupe that stifles my ability to describe them in words. I'll just say it borders on otherworldly the way they hold so much beauty, grace, fire, ephemerality all within the same three hours.

(edited to add: and no less than 48 hrs into their deeply jet-lagged tour!)

<small>[ 08 October 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Catherine Pawlick ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:44 am 

Wow, I can't wait to see them(on Thursday.) Is accurate casting posted anywhere?

DGH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:10 am 

Hi David -- Yes, go go go! ;-)

As for accurate casting availabile...no -- and in fact even the programs aren't quite up to date, unfortunately.

I don't blame them however, as I'm sure those were printed long before they all hopped on the plane.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:10 am 

By the way, I have to compliment the Kirov on their choice of the Fokine program: there is something for everyone here. From the classical Chopiniana to the racy, sultry sultan-y Scheherezade, and the fairytale/Russian cultural Firebird, I think the melange was well-chosen for their tour opening.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:36 pm 

EXTRA TICKET TO KIROV!! Due to a cancellation, I am selling 1 ticket to the Thursday, 10/9, 8:00 pm performance (in Berkeley, CA). It's in the orchestra rear, about in the middle of the right-hand section, and costs $62.

Please reply to me at:

dbrooks@hrice.com

and NOT at dancing_giraffe@msn.com.
I can only access the giraffe address at home, and I won't be home until late tonight.

Thursday's performance is Program 1: Chopiniana, Scheherezade and Firebird. Ruzimatov is scheduled to dance the Golden Slave in Scheherezade, but he didn't make Tuesday's performance, so who knows?

Here's who's listed in the program:

Chopiniana
Mazurka & both waltzes: Irina Zhelonkina
(seems like rather a lot)
Prelude: (Daria Sukhorukova)
Young Man: Anton Korsakov

Scheherezade
Zobeide: Irma Nioradze
Golden Slave: Farukh Ruzimatov (I assume it'll be Igor Zelensky again, if Ruzimatov is out)

Firebird
Firebird: Tatiana Amosova
Ivan Tsarevich: Andrey Yakovlev
Princess: Yana Serebriakova

<small>[ 08 October 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:11 pm 

Ooh, tempting!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:26 pm 

I'm beginning to feel like I am the only one going to only one show...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:10 pm 

Quote:
The second person came out, seemed to be confused by seeing the Firebird already holding a bouquet, and then couldn't figure out who she was supposed to deliver her bouquet to.
That wasn't the only incident. Didn't the curtain open to a scrambling corps after they thought the curtain calls were over after the first piece?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:30 pm 

Yes.

I would bet big cash that the Zellerbach curtain person was not part of the touring company> or that some interpretation/communication/technical problem wasn't giving that same individual clear enough cues as to when to raise/lower/sit/stay etc. As they say, it's not rocket science.

(and azlan, I hate to say it but you may just *be* the only person only going to one show! ;-) still, we know you're a busy guy, so you're forgiven!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:36 pm 

EXTRA TICKET FOR KIROV THURSDAY -- still available. (See several posts before this for details). Don't everyone grab for it at once...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:38 pm 

Has anyone heard why Ruzimatov and Vishneva didn't perform opening night, or why Ayupova isn't with the company in Berkeley?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:04 am 

The Kirov seems to strictly ration the appearances of both Vishneva and Ruzimatov these days as they both danced only one performance each in London. We didn't get to see Ayupova, the company's best all-rounder or the divine Lopatkina at all.

I’m getting an uncomfortable feeling that internal Kirov politics increasingly influence the choice of dancers we get to see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:54 am 

I wish I knew too, I'll try to find out through my sources what happened. I agree Cassandra. We don't even get to see them but once a generation out here and I know it was just the first show but I REALLY REALLY wanted to see Diana Vishneva. Amosova was good, and Zelensky was terrific in Schehereazade, but there again... we were supposed to see Ruzimatov....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:14 am 

I'm getting discouraged about selling my ticket for tonight -- no bites at work, either. (And if anyone's interested in buying it, email me at dbrooks@hrice.com).

It is frustrating when you decide which nights you're going, to try to see as many dancers as possible, and then end up seeing the same performers twice. (They're all worth seeing twice, of course, but I could have gone some other night and seen someone different.)

<small>[ 09 October 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail