public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weiferd Watts, dance photographer, passes away 10/12/2010
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 pm 

I just heard that Weiferd Watts, reknowned San Francisco-based photographer, well known for his images of dancers taken in outdoor settings, passed away earlier this week. I don't have details about his passing yet but if further information comes, I will post it here.

I first met Weiferd in the early 90s when he would come watch classes at the Academy of Ballet and at Lines' Studios in San Francisco. As was the case with many other dancers, I worked with him in the photo studio and outdoors --his favorite Presidio bunkers -- for several photo shoots. Since the 90s Weiferd branched out from purely dance photographs to themed shoots -- in bodies of water, or wet clothing, in forests, in city settings, from dancers and athletes to body builders and other sorts of models. His work was always infused with a strong artistry, intense focus, detailed understanding of light, color, placement, and composition. He was immensely talented, and immensely kind-hearted. I know that I join hundreds, if not thousands of dancers in the area and in the nation who worked with him over the years in sharing my grief over this great loss. Weiferd, you are sorely missed.