public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

How important is it for dance students to have training in music?
Very important 67%  67%  [ 12 ]
Important 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Somewhat important 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
What they hear in dance class is about enough 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Dance students and training in music.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:13 pm 

We are expected to dance musically. There is also an unwritten expectation that dancers have familiarity with music literature. A related question -- if you don't read music, are you disadvantaged as a teacher or choreographer?

So here's this week's poll:

Last edited by Dean Speer on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:15 pm 

Basic understanding of musical structure is absolutely essential. Especially when new works are being created on you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:34 pm 

I voted somewhat important. I have to admit, I studied some piano when I was very young, but I never really studied music seriously. I honestly don't feel that my piano lessons helped me one way or another as a dancer. I have a natural sense of musicality. This is difficult to describe...I was always considered by my directors to be very musical. My understanding is (and please correct me if I am wrong!) that Sir Frederick Ashton could not read a score. This certainly didn't hold him back from being one of the most brilliant choreographers of the last century. Lew Christensen (and, I believe, Balanchine) could conduct an orchestra in addition to being able to read a score!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 am 

Balanchine was very talented musically - I don't know about conducting, but he actually did some of the piano 'orchestrations' for his ballets.

I would agree that it is vital that young dancers know how to read music and have music training. They certainly don't need to be experts, but for instance, they should be able to count to the music - dancers must sometimes clap along with the music or play castanets (Napoli, Nutcracker etc.). And it really helps when doing folk dancers or specific styles in full-length ballets to have some understanding of the appropriate rhythm and style. It helps to know about 3/4 time when you are learning to waltz or to know what the tempo for a mazurka is....

Additionally, especially at the level when they are doing solos or pas de deuxs, a dancer needs to be competent enough music wise to be able to express cogently to the conductor or pianist any issues with the tempo.

Certainly, not every dancer is going to be hugely interested in learning music or want to play an instrument. But I don't think it's a coincidence that very musical dancers are also musically talented - the Royal Danish Ballet and the New York City Ballet, both companies with a musical history, have many dancers who play instruments at high levels.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:25 am 

They should also -- those who plan to choreograph, at least -- learn the fundamentals of lighting, costume, and set design.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:22 am 

The answer is somewhat important. When choreographing I often find that a counting dancer is not a dancing dancer. That is to say if they are so hooked up on counting they tend to focus on the connection between steps and counts to the detriment of everything else such as emotion, presentation and yes, performance.

If they can count and do everything else, fabulous, but very few can. When choreographing, I always stress to dancers that they should listen to the music, hear it and understand it. They should know when the cues are coming and hear them without actually counting. Of course there are always exceptions, but that is my general rule.

Profile E-mail