public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your help-Female lifts!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:44 pm 

Recently I have seen a trend for female lifting,supporting male dancers.After witnessing a truely remarkable show by Brazilian dance troupe Cena 11,in which the female dancer quite easily lifted her male partner on a number of occasions.
I also recall a ballet lift occuring at the very end of a performance,where the female held in her arms the male dancer and then proceeded to walk with him,carrying him up the stairs of a castle tower.
Please if anyone can inform me of the name of the ballet in question, and of any other scenes or dance performances that have female lifting male in then i would truely be very greatful.
Links to video's or clips would also be very welcoming.
Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:45 pm 

Not really dance... But this is the speciality of the french skaters Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:43 am 

I seem to remember a few other dance teams doing 'woman holding man' lifts during the most recently Olympics. I think one of the Italian teams does such a lift.

And I'm sure there are other dance examples...

Kate

Post subject: Re: Your help-Female lifts!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:15 pm 

Sarah Olsen wrote:
I also recall a ballet lift occuring at the very end of a performance,where the female held in her arms the male dancer and then proceeded to walk with him,carrying him up the stairs of a castle tower.
Please if anyone can inform me of the name of the ballet in question, and of any other scenes or dance performances that have female lifting male in then i would truely be very greatful.

In Balanchine's La Sonnambula, the sleepwalker carries the dead poet offstage in her arms at the end of the ballet. Maybe in some production she carried him upstairs. Here's a link to a review of La Sonnambula from Dance Insider that describes the action.

Quote:
When the Sleepwalker suddenly appears again, now in the midst of the anguished revelers, we know something very strange is about to happen. But can anyone ever be prepared for the sight of the Sleepwalker, who had seemed to be as light as the moon, bearing the Poet's body in her arms back through her archway? She simply takes him. We know not where, or for what.]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:19 pm 

And, by the way, it was never easy for the sleepwalker to lift that man...remember, she has pointe shoes on! :wink: You see the candle winding it's way up the stairs after the dancers' exit upstage into the tower...a lighting special effect! Visually to the audience, it appears as though the sleepwalker is carrying the poet to her chambers aloft in the tower.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:04 pm 

Thank you for the replies on this topic. If anyone knows of a link to a video or a clip of the final scene in La Sonnambula,(where the sleepwalker carries the poet), then i would be very greatful.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:50 am 

I saw Australian Dance Theatre recently, and I believe there were several times where a woman lifted a man.

There are definately examples in contemporary ballet, but they escape me now. Perhaps someone else can provide more details.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:51 am 

This NYTimes Review of a contemporary piece mentions a woman lifting a man.

Reviews of Rafael Bonachela's "Linear Remains", danced the Rambert Dance Company, mentioned several instances of men being lifted by women. In addtion I found an article that suggested ballets by Nacho Duato and Christopher Bruce might include women lifting men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:30 am 

Hi,
now and then there will be scenes of women lifting men, but it is not going to be the normality. #

1.Men are usually too heavy for most women

2.To rehearse and get these lifts to work takes a lot of time, and that is normally not avaliable in a creation process. Do not forget, many cohoreoghraphers have less than two months to create a full evening ballet.

3.Many factors have to come together: you need a very strong woman, a lighter man and of course a very good lifting technique.

But like I said it will happen now and then.

What I see more often than before though is lifts where women lifts woman. I believe this comes from a more diversed education within contemporary schools at the moment, where women are being thought good lifting techniques.

Profile E-mail