There’s nothing more irritating than reading a very positive review of a show, deciding you'd like to see it, but then realising that it ended the night before.
The NBoC would love for the above to be true. I’m sure there are some people who decide to see a ballet based only on a critic's view. My guess is this is a very low number in Toronto. I am willing to bet cold hard cash that 90% of ballet review readers are subscribers, employees of the NBoC, or related to the dancers. That leaves 10%. For me the review serves as a free advertisement for the NBoC and also gauges how the company is doing.
Alas, I highly doubt tradition will be broken. Sadly, I doubt many members of the NBoC or media read CD. Overall, the media coverage in Toronto is pathetic. Most of the writers have in my opinion lost their edge, juice, zeal, whatever you want to call it, they’re just showing up to work and punching a clock.