public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theatres that can't cope with a production
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:06 pm 

Last night I went to see Random Dance's 'Ataxia' for the 3rd time, so obviously I knew what to expect. However, as anyone who has seen this work will know, towards the middle and end of the piece, transparent screens, then half blurred screens descend to the stage, reflecting and blurring the dancers. In this performance there were no screens at all, instead there were some rather weak dry ice machines attempting to create a similar effect, but they failed miserably. I'm assuming that the absence of the screens was due to the theatre itself not having enough stage rigging to support them. Now I don't know much about how these things work, I don't know if the theatre approaches the company and offers a place to perform or if it's the company that approaches the theatre and offers a performance, but at some point during this the company must surely say to the theatre something along the lines of: "these are the technical requirements for the piece......"
In this case it seems as if the theatre has said that they cannot provide all the requirements for 'Ataxia', but will put the show on anyway.
Does this seem right to anyone? or does this kind of thing happen often? while the absence of screens didn't ruin the show, it still meant its impact was weakened slightly in my opinion. It's like reading a book with some of the middle pages missing.
Sorry to ramble on!

PS as i'm rambling i'll also say that it's quite wrong that my ticket was a top price one yet my seat had a restricted view!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:01 am 

It's the company's responsibility to maintain the artistic integrity of the piece.

Did the theatre book the company, or did the company hire the theatre? If it's the former, it was the theatre's responsibility to cover the technical needs of the production, as outlined in the company's contract rider. If the latter, the company was remiss in not ascertaining that the theatre was inadequate technically (I'll going with your assumption that this was the reason).

Profile E-mail