public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are troupes tending to dance within the lines?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:36 am 

Quote:
Are troupes tending to dance within the lines?

Mary Ellen Hunt
Contra Costa Times

NOW THAT MOST companies are finishing up their spring runs, I think back on the all the dance I've seen since January, and find to my surprise that while no recent work stood out as appallingly bad, I can't recall anything overwhelmingly exciting, either.

Click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:24 pm 

Quote:
Non-U.S. companies have an inordinate number of hoops to jump through to get permission and visas, to expedite those visas, to ship the sets and costumes, etc. No wonder the fall schedule feels light in this department.

Yes, that does seem light, especially in the modern dance sector. To put it in context, in the 2-week festival I will attend in Bytom (20th largest city in Poland) there are six US companies taking part: Joe Alter, Reggie Wilson, Dance Advance, Doug Varone and dancers, Nai Ni Chen Dance Company and Green Chair Dance Group.

Overall, is the under-funded subsidy system in the US a primary reason why there is less dance and less exciting new work, especially from smaller, newer companies?

Quote:
A more calculated risk is the National Ballet of China's production of "Raise the Red Lantern," a balletic adaptation of Zhang Yimou's disturbing tale of the domestic struggle for precedence among the many wives of a Chinese noble.

Hope this is a big success - it was a sell-out in London. Maybe the choreography is not earth-shaking, but the designs of this ballet theatre work and the depth of talent in the company are astonishing. And if you want to see a male corps de ballet dance together, this is the place.

Profile E-mail