public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How is knowledge used within dance as performer/student
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 pm 

[color=darkred][/color]
Help!
Am writing essay on subject of knowledge within dance. Main question is whether knowledge within dance can be seen as a barrier, gut reaction or an informed decision. I am looking at the idea of a 'winning formulae' in regards to utilising knowledge within dance. Is there an ideal appproach which can have the most positive effect on either performance or training. Are there certian methods, or approaches, physcologocal or physical, which help to maximise success within dance?
Is this something which needs to be addressed within dance teaching?
I'd really appreicate it if someone has any information regarding any of this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:34 pm 

I don't understand the topic, it seems excessively broad. Every skilled activity we do as human beings involves knowledge. And yes, dance is full of methods and approaches, as well as people who swear by or against them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:11 am 

Interesting topic...Like citibob says everything involves some degree of knowledge and yes i believe although others may disagree that knowledge within dance helps rather than hinders. It helps when viewing dance-a knowledge about choreogrpahic practises, dance history, philosophy of art, semiotics etc can help you appreciate the piece more, thats not to say that you need that knowledge to be able to do so however. In performance, there are many areas that knowledge in can/could help...somatics, and phenomenology for example. These can help you as a dancer through expression and internalisation/externalisation/communicating through the body. Knowledge of dance history and development of dance can help place your existing practise in context and if anything help give authority to a performance. Knowledge of anatomy can help-an understanding of the way things work can give increased awareness during processes and performances which could perhaps enhance performance...the list is endless...whether there's a formulae is a difficult matter, i think it depends on what you want to achieve-dance as a subject is so broad and diverse knowledge can help but you may question whether it is neccessary...for example is it neccessary to educate a youth group experiencing dance for the first time on dance practises/history etc? I feel there are levels where perhaps its necessary and also not but dont agree that there is one formula neccessarily. Should it be addressed in dance teaching? Perhaps so if only for the sake of promoting artistic integrity within the field of dance...however these are just my opinions and not fact, please remember that. Good luck!

Profile E-mail