public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Media and Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:53 am 

I used to be a figure skater and I had endless amounts of info available on skating in the form of books and tv coverage, etc. I was able to watch skating at its best just by tuning into the competitions on tv. I am trying to find books, videos, any type of media-related stuff on ballet, but it has been a lot harder and seems less accessible. Are the competitions televised? I have been wanting to see ballet ~at its most difficult~, but I don't know where to turn. Would I have to go buy a bunch of dvds of performances?? Help, help, how do I encapsulate myself deeper in ballet??

Post subject: Re: Media and Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:22 am 

the online shop www.dancebooks.co.uk has a lot of videos and DVDs of performances avaliable to buy. failing that try searching 'dance' or 'ballet' on Amazon and see what that brings up. over here in the UK there is not much ballet on TV but if you go on a ballet company's website chances are you will find some tour dates and so you will know where and when you can see them live.
hope that helps!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Media and Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:34 am 

You can order the 2004 Prix de Lausanne competition on video. Check out the Prix de Lausanne's website.

Amazon.com also offers a lot of ballet videos and dvd's.

You might also want to try the library at your local university. Many have decent dance collections, and some even have extensive ones!

Lastly, there are several older ballet and dance video threads here on CD. Try this link or perform a search using keywords "ballet videos".

<small>[ 09 August 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: RaHir ]</small>