CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parking and Traffic Problems at Theaters!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:42 am 

Which are the worst theaters when it comes to parking and traffic? Here's a report on the situation in Northeast Ohio:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Area audiences find parking a hindrance<P>Carolyn Jack, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>The way to an audience's heart in Northeast Ohio is apparently through its steering wheel. <P>...<P>But many of those surveyed said that they are discouraged from attending even more often by inconvenient parking, expensive parking and traffic jams.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/102275109319610.xml target=_blank>More</a>

Post subject: Re: Parking and Traffic Problems at Theaters!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:33 pm 

Well, let's see . . . my two Chicago picks would be the Athenaeum Theater and the Merle Reskin downtown. The Athenaeum has absolutely no parking to speak of. I remember doing an opera there a couple of years ago -- I was administrative so after the run started I only came to the theater to watch the show. I was running late one day and was driving around in circles trying to find a parking place within the theater's vicinity at about 15min. to curtain. Somewhere along the way I passed the opera's conductor driving on the opposite side of the street also looking for a spot. Reprehensible.<P>The Merle Reskin, like most theaters in the theater district of downtown Chicago, only has access to very expensive valet lots. After you've already spent a fortune on good seats, then you have to shell out another 35 dollars to park at the Hilton across the street.<P>Link's Hall, now that I think of it, often gets the short end of the stick as well. They are a small performing space right in the middle of Wrigleville. My condolences go out to the unhappy companies who try to start a show on time in the midst of a Cubs home game.<P>Cheers,<P>tura

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:15 pm 

On the Boards in Seattle has probably been my worst parking experience. It's the kind of place that's in an area difficult to get to with transit and since I was driving from Vancouver anyway, taking a cab wasn't an option. I actually ended up parking in a towing zone.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:44 pm 

Was that at the old (Central Area) or new (Queen Anne) facility, Marie? And did you get towed?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:36 pm 

It was the new Queen Anne building, and every time I've gone it has been the same hunt for parking. We did not get towed that time (thank goodness) but were willing to risk it since the tickets after exchange were already close to 40 CDN.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 3:21 am 

Worst in terms of parking and traffic? Lincoln Center would rank high, I'm sure.<BR>

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:27 am 

But easily accessible by cab or transit. Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:38 am 

Actually, I'd rate Lincoln Center as one the better places, parking and traffic wise. As Marie pointed out, it's very easy (and cheap)to get to via subway, taxi or bus. <BR>I've also driven to Lincoln Center a number of times-it's really not bad if you stay away from the Broadway side of the complexn and access the lots from 62nd or 65th(?). It may not be the cheapest place to park, but it's spacious, accessible and safe.<P>I also seem to remember the Wortham Center in Houston as being fairly easy parking-wise. Then again Houston has almost no public transportation, so parking lots are a must!<BR>Kate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:37 pm 

For Los Angelenos, "2 Left Feet" gave me a tip this weekend for the Kodak Theater. "2 Left" suggested the parking lot behind the Hamburger Hamlet.<P>However, I parked at Hollywood and Highland's parking but I took Fountain to the west end of Hollywood and Highland. If you get validation, its considerably cheaper. The Kodak Theater doesn't validate, but if you are like me and need the caffeination from Starbucks, you can get validation and then its only $2 for the first 4 hours and $1 for every 20 minutes thereafter. For tonite's "Don Quixote" I only paid $3.<P>For the Los Angeles Music Center, I try and use the parking across the street to the west from the Ahamanson at the DWP (Department of Water and Power). Its only $5 and the line of cars to get out is considerably shorter than if you park in the LA Music Center's own underground parking. Essentially, you make a left turn and you're on the 101 Southbound.<P>For events at the Alex Theater in Glendale, I had been parking behind Porto's Cuban Bakery (the sandwiches there are to die for). If you arrive about 7pm you can beat the Glendale Civic Theater patrons and secure a very convenient parking spot.<P>These are tips useful to a greater or lesser extent, but the real tip I want to pass are more practical things, like park rear first so you drive foreward to get out of your spot (much easier to cut into line that way).<P>Keep in mind that once the line of cars form it is much faster to walk than to sit in a line of cars. In other words, parking near the exit rather than the escalators will lesson the time it takes to depart.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:55 am 

The venues in Houston's theatre district are, indeed easily accessible; parking at Cullen Performance Hall. however, is impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:13 am 

For the San Diego Civic Theater in downtown there are both underground parking and street level parking lots - both are ample. I dislike the underground parking because I find the exit line seems to go on forever and it twists around in a tunnel thingie and makes me claustrophobic. The cost is around $5.00.<P>So, we usually chose a street parking lot ($5.00) of which there are many. If you get there early enough there is also plain old street parking, which after 6 p.m. is free.<P>For the Spreckles Theater or the Lyceum you can park in Horton Plaza Mall. (That means a short walk for the Spreckles) The first three hours are free with validation. Since the theaters don't validate, you can get the ticket stamped in two ways. Buy a candy bar from Long's Drug Store at the street level, or walk into Nordstrom's or Macy's and they will validate without asking you to buy something.<P>For Symphony Hall (which is also downtown and sometimes hosts dance) there is a shared parking garage with the Marriott Hotel and a large bank/office building. When you park ($5.00) you can go from the garage through the hotel and into the Symphony Hall without ever going outside. There is a complex change of elevators to get you through the hotel portion, but there are signs along the way as well as crowds of theater patrons. And, again both parking lots ($5.00) and free street parking. You can also have a pre-theater supper at the hotel.<P>At the California Center for the Arts in Escondido (about 25 miles north of San Diego) there is ample free parking in a lot owned by the theater complex.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:48 pm 

Basheva, thanks for the San Diego tips. I haven't lived there for so long that any tips I had are obsolete.<P>I thought of another tip. For UCLA's Royce Hall, I park in the structure right by there (also the lot for the Fowler Museum, etc). The trick is not to take the first spots you see but to drive all the way around almost to the exit. If you go for the pre-performance interview, getting a spot isn't a problem.<P>Does anybody have any suggestions about Zellerbach Hall at UC Berkeley in case I can make it to next year's Merce Cunningham Dance Company's annual performances? I used to park at the Methodist Church a few blocks to the south off College but the last time I was by (last year), there was no public parking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:45 am 

I have to agree that Lincoln Center isn't that bad. One of the great things about it also is that it is so close to the subway.<P>The DC public transportation system doesn't serve Kennedy Center as well but it's such a nice walk to the Center if you decide to take PT anyway. Parking is relatively easy if you drive.<P>In California, expect to pay a bundle for parking if you are in LA or SF. The garages also have a habit of filling up near curtain time, especially at SF's War Memorial House when the Symphony is also performing next door at Davis Hall. However, you might be able to find parking several blocks away if you are willing to walk.<P>And, oh, one word of caution about Cal Performances' Zellerbach Hall. If there is a game on in the same evening, all garages and lots nearby are reserved for game ticket holders. So you may want to call ahead, as parking can get very, very tight in downtown Berkeley. The other college venue, Stanford Lively Arts, will send you an email or letter warning of potential conflicts with games and advice you of a lot reserved for concert goers.<P>Further up the coast in Seattle, there is an ample parking garage right next to the Mercer Arts Arena. However, I simple love taking the monorail from downtown to Seattle Center.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited June 13, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:50 am 

As for Orange County Performance Arts Center in Costa Mesa, California - there is a parking garage at the theater. I, personally have never parked there so I can't say what the price is or how convenient it is. <P>I don't believe there is much in the way of public transportation, at least I don't remember seeing a bus. Don't count on street parking at all. There's a Red Lion Hotel a few blocks away (might have changed it's name recently) which has a shuttle bus to the theater.<P>However, when we go we always stay the night. Right behind the theater is a Marriott and a Wyndym Hotel. It's a very easy walk to the theater and the hotels have parking for their guests. The dancers usually stay at one of these hotels and its a lot of fun to talk to them at breakfast. <P> Also within a very easy walk are a couple of other large hotels. Even as a guest of any of these hotels you have to expect to pay for parking your car, but you have in-and-out privileges. <P>A bit further on - but within walking distance is a large shopping mall, in case you change your mind and don't like the dress/shoes/purse that you brought with you.<P>(don't laugh, I've done that!! Image ) <P>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:03 pm 

In San Francisco, if you happen to live near a BART station (our subway), it's very handy for the Opera House. But it's not like NY, where everyone lives near a subway station.