public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is the Audience Fracturing......?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 9:37 pm 

Cathy, I have to say that was not my impression when POB came to Manchester. When I went, I met people who had travelled from many places in Britain to see them, and everybody I spoke to was very thrilled and impressed. I certainly was! But I do think there is a slight tendency in Britain to think that only Europeans really understand ballet. (That includes Russians, of course.) <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 1:03 am 

I saw especially criticism on ballet.co website and they were not all positive. Against after for Kirov all was beautiful. They seem to not love also NYCB. And I really didn't understand why. <P>I'm glad you say, you encounter people who love POB, because I didn't have this feeling especially when I saw in the Year poll on ballet.co. Worst production : Bayadère and always best production Jewels or Sleeping Beauty by Kirov, I was a few surprised. It's sure that this both productions are interesting and I don't want to say that POB must be better than Kirov, but I was sad to see that POB was not better loved.<P>Personnally, I saw just Royal Ballet when he came in France, eight years ago and I found it very interesting, I love really english repertory. I found that russian style is lost as french style begins to be lost too. <P>It's not the subject of this topic but do you think that english style risk to be lost with Ross Stretton programmation who seems to forget Ashton (just a Month in a country and Marguerite and Armand) and MacMillan just Romeo and Juliet. It's sure that Forsythe In the middle or Vertiginous are great piece but I have the feeling that english will lose his soul. What is sad to my eyes !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 5:11 am 

Can we say that we are seeing a fracturing of the audience? <P>and a globalization of the dancers?<P>what a strange combination, if so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 7:29 am 

I think we should acknowledge that we (moderators, members, etc) go see dance becasue it's our love, passion, hobby, profession, livelihood and many other reasons, not EVERYONE goes for those reasons. Socializing, meeting friends, supporting a troupe from your home country, are other perfectly valid, legitamite reasons. Quite frankly, I encourage folks to go/suppport live dance, theatre and performance art for WHATEVER reason they can come up with. It's important to get folks in the theatre and fill the seats. I think in the long run there' s a better chance of "recruiting" or "wooing" them for other events, piquing (no pun intended!!) their curiosity/interest with posters and adverts for other dance events (may take some time!!lolol), rather than NOT getting them in the theatre to begin with. Maybe only 1 in 10 will "cross over" to another company, but it's better than 0 in 10.<P><p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited June 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail