public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Attracting Boys to Ballet - Houston Changes the Atmosphe
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 5:49 am 

It was hard to decide where to put this article, but I chose to put it here because it deals with a number of issues which seem to have affected why Houston Ballet Academy has been successful in recruiting and retaining boys from an early age (well, earlier than usual). <P>Some of them are surprising - housing - male teachers - a seemingly more boy friendly atmosphere. Things that have nothing to do with a popular movie.<P>From the Houston Chronicle:<P><B>Houston Ballet Academy draws more boys</B> <BR>By MOLLY GLENTZER <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This year, it looks like ballet is for boys.<P>The Houston Ballet Academy has enrolled a crop of 13 male students -- more than twice the number in some previous years. They are from all over the nation, and one is a native of Ukraine.<P>Does this mean that Americans are finally accepting that it's OK for boys to dance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/dance/1153579" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P>(If, however, someone feels that this belongs somewhere else - please feel free to move it.)<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Attracting Boys to Ballet - Houston Changes the Atmosphe
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 2:04 pm 
I think putting this article here is fitting Basheva.<BR> Its funny,this past week I was watching 20/20 and they had a segment on bullying.Last week ,an attempted school shooting was stopped in Bedford,Ma. The kids wanted to make it another Columbine. They said that around 90% of school shooters had been victims of bullying.<BR> Connie Chung interviewed 4 studentswho where victims of bullying;even though they never went as far as the Bedford kids,they emphasized w/ the feelings of those kids;one of the boys on the program was a ballet dancer at his school,but quit because of the ridicule he was getting,even from friends;he was jumped by a group of kids while these 'friends' cheered on; so he quit ballet and took up boxing.<BR> A LARGE part of the problem in these incidents are the authority figures in schools.They seem to, intentionally or not, set up a hierachy were atheletes are revered and the intellectuals and artist are of little or no value. <BR> I always think of Texas as a place were physical sports/activites(football,ranching,etc.)are more revered than the arts in many of their cities; and a place where gender lines seem strict esp. w/boys.I dont remember what city in Texas Patrick Swayze is from,but he had a rough time(If this is ONE BIG STEREOTYPE FOLKS ,LET ME KNOW).<BR> Its great to see the Houston Ballet making its academy more comfortable and accessible to boys--a wonderful move.<BR> <BR>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:40 am 

A small correction, on MA stuff: the school plot was in New Bedford MA, not Bedford MA. Bedford is a Boston suburb near Lexington. New Bedford is an old whaling city down "south", near Rhode Island. It's very confusing, I suppose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:14 am 

This article confused me. Do they ONLY have 13 boys? Or is that just this years crop. Theirteen boys in a professionally affiliated pre-pro school is NOT very many.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:09 am 
Thanks citibob!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:42 am 

Consern about boys already in ballet.

Quote:
Children 'too scared to dance'

By JOHN INNES
The Scotsman
July 5, 2004

A NEW generation of Billy Elliots are being hampered by Britain’s school bully-boy culture, the dancing star Wayne Sleep said yesterday.
more

Profile E-mail