public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shelly Washington
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 9:59 pm 

Can anyone tell me anything about Shelly Washington? I know she teaches Twyla Tharp's works to dance companies, but that's about it. If anyone has information about her professional career maybe you could share it with me.<P>Thanks, I'd appreciate the help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shelly Washington
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2000 5:46 am 

she's the one who's shown in various videos teaching tharp's works, isn't she? rehearsal mistress or something like that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2000 3:16 pm 

Can't add too much, but she is still active as she was across in the UK last year staging Tharp's 'The Golden Section' by Rambert - a very snappy, euphoric work taken from the longer 'Catherine Wheel', with music by Tharp's sometime partner David Byrne. I liked it, but some find it too slight to be of interest.<P>She's down in the programme as Shelley Washington Whitman, by the way. In an earlier Rambert programme they might have had a biog for her. If I find it, I'll let you know. As far as I can tell there isn't a website for the Twyla Tharp Company.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 03-31-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 7:56 pm 

Shelley Washington was trained at Juilliard, danced briefly in the Graham Company (was married to Peter Sparling, former Graham dancer)and has danced with and has staged TT's work all over the world. She danced briefly with ABT; when twyla was resident choreographer (under Baryshnikov's reign at ABT), Twyla brought several of her own dancers folded into ABT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 2:06 am 

Shelley Washington..(not sure about the extension on her name) is in Melbourne (Australia) teaching the Aussie Ballet a Tharp ballet at present so I wanted to become familiar with who she is. I couldn't ask for much more information from you Trina, thanks for your wealth of knowledge. Thanks Grace and Stuart as well, I don't know where you find the time to be so astute with the web. I find it eats away at my time. I guess I have yet to master the art of fast-surfing Image

Profile E-mail