public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: USA: NEA Funding 2000, 2001
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 1:34 am 

Well Stuart:<P>The "mixed" model just never will sit well with me.<P>I don't like funding the NEA as an entity "ITSELF".<P>THE FOLLOWING statement is very subjective. And depends on which side of the ocean your chair is planted when sit in it, and look out from the center of the universe. Image<P>"The most uniformly admired company worldwide for standard of dance".<P>The buzz "here" sounds entirely different you know. Image<P>

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 3:04 am 

JaneGrey I fully accept that I'm not going to convince you.<P>Re. my 'subjective statement'. I've changed my original slightly to clarify that it is standards of dance combined with exciting rep. However, I read lots of criticism (as well as praise) of the dancing in ABT, NYCB and RB, which I don't see in POB reviews. For pure dance quality there is alway the Kirov, but no one would claim that the Kirov has an exciting rep. POB are the only ballet company that Forsythe regularly makes new work for outside his own. Kylian will be there in a month to create a new work. <P>The POB really do enjoy an exceptional position with the world's critics. Perhaps it is a coincidence that they recieve a large public subsidy, but I don't think so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 5:55 am 

Well, see Stuart, life is just EASIER for me.<P> Image<P>I just count KIDS and TEACHERS. (A non dancing ballet mom has to do SOMETHING at these auditions.)<P>And I figure that there were roughly at LEAST four times the number of kids staring each other down at the SAB, PNB and ABT auditions and LOTS more teachers there with them, than there were kids and teachers at the Vail Auditions (to dance with the POB folks)these past few years.<P>And I remember their laments of "WHAT???? It's not the Bolshoi's program anymore???"<P>That's the "buzz" I'm referring to.<P>I don't BELIEVE it, but if it's TRUE that "gods are made by men" - - - - - - - well, it's that generation that is deifying 'em now.<P>Anyway, I guess you read the PROGRAMS. Too many European names in the US programs for EVERYBODY in Europe to be happy about staying there. I think the planes travel in both directions.<P><p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited January 23, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 7:59 am 

I've been reading this topic with interest. I think the question in America is not so much whether the arts are funded, but the far broader question of government's role in the lives of its citizens. Right now, America is deeply polarized between people who want as little government intervention as possible (especially at a national, centralized level) and those who would like to use government as an organizing force. It's not something you would see yet in Europe, but we've been having it since before de Tocqueville. The EU may find more of a problem with it as people are conflicted with the demands of national versus European interest.<P>Frankly, I'm firmly in the latter camp favoring stronger government but to discuss this takes the argument well out of its original realm, and alas, I'm despairing of any possible dialogue on the issue, at least anytime soon. Each side holds steadfastly to its beliefs and there's little actual discussion because the issue is deep-seated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 9:49 am 

Gee Lee.<P>I think there is a LOT of "discussion", but maybe very little agreement. Image<P>And yeah, the debate within the confines of the United States could make you really, really tired all by itself. <P>There is something to be said for "a private vote" Image Wish I could make myself remember that.<P>Right now I'm just tired because I realize that I forgot I need to buy a ticket to see my daughters dance performance at college this weekend. And I'm one of those people that writes "pretty dang close" to that 50.00 buffer that I keep in that checking account.<P>But I paid her TUITION on time. Image<P>Oh man. Seems like I've done nothing BUT support the arts for the last 24 years. The intel property lawyer that I raised that is graduating this year too. She is scoping the entertainment law area.<P>Personally, "I'm" all for trade mark instead of copyright. And patent just sounds so SECURE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 10:49 am 

I had a discussion last night about this whole topic with my hubby. He is a former dancer, currently a musician and medical provider. I asked him his take on this whole topic. He said the thinks that government should support the arts, but not THIS government. I said "huh"? He replied that the government reflects the political will of the people (debatable!)and this country does not have the political will to support the arts, at least in terms of at a national,very visible level. I was upset by this...but have been thinking about it ever since. I'm stumped. Twice in my career I was offered very attractive overseas dance jobs. Both times I turned it down. Call me naive, call me patriotic, call me "dense" in the career development area, but I felt a need and loyalty to my own country and wanted to contribute HERE. Not in Europe. Was I wrong?<BR>Anyway, I'm going to "check out" of this topic, because I'm stumped, as I said, and feel that I really have nothing more to contribute on the topic. I'm sure others do...over and out!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 11:14 am 

Trina - I think you are probably the wisest amongst us LOL !!<P>However, wherever the money comes from - private sources or government - it comes from the same pocket.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 1:53 pm 

There have been lots of good points made here. I, for one, am tired of artists being asked to produce work out of their own pocket, (or as it has been described, “to emanate from the people") although many of us do it, suckers that we are. <P>The concept of giving money to what is <I>good</I> vs. <I>fad</I> fails to take into account that often what history regards as <I>good</I> was seen as <B>crap</B> during its inception but the poverty stricken artist "emenated" it anyway. There is a long list of artists, Motzart, Van Gogh, etc., who only came into favour after their respective lifetimes. <P>I think some of us tend to forget how integral the arts are in our lives and how hard people work to produce art--and administrate it. Arts administrators work hard for very little, and why shouldn't we pay for that through our respective governments? I know it’s not an easy fit, (particularly in the U.S. where government seems hopelessly entwined with other agendas) and sometimes we don’t agree with the decisions that they make but since we hire “experts” in other areas of government, why not in respect to the arts? <P>I was shocked during the last Canadian election when someone I went to high school with, who's father is an international rock star (seriously), told the CBC that the government shouldn't give money to the arts, because <B>he</B> never asked them for any money and managed to start a recording career. It’s always easy as a “have” to say that the “have-nots” should do it on their own or just go beg from the local parish.<BR> <BR>In my fantasy world we would have a "No Arts Year" and no one would have access to any artistic product AT ALL. That would mean the museums would close, YOUR KIDS would not take dance classes, and neither would YOU. There would be nothing on the radio or television, except for maybe the news and forget going to the movies. And no recorded music or dvd rentals either. You would have to empty your houses of all of the art that you own, which, by the way, you purchased for a insignificant amount of its worth. Then artists would merge to become a powerful multi-national (probably headed by Virgin's Richard Branson) and only the rich and elite would have access to art, because the world would have wised up to the fact that the arts are worth something more than the average joe should be able to afford. Hey, what do you know, that's how the world was a couple of centuries ago!<P>Well, gotta go emenate.<P>P.S. Trina, did you point out to your husband that the current government actually reflects the will of "the electoral college". Image<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited January 23, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:46 am 

Okay, am I going to regret posting this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>New Panel Chairs Will Affect NEA</B><P>BackStage.com<P>On Capitol Hill, new chairmen for the House and Senate culture-funding committees are prepping budget bills for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). Also, federal arts funding advocates appear to support NEA Chairman Bill Ivey's staying on, an attitude which they'll communicate to the Bush administration.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bpibs/20010328/en/_b_h1_new_panel_chairs_will_affect_nea_h1_b__1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 10:29 am 

This looks to me like the perfect time to contact your individual Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives or Senator in the U.S. Senate, to make your views known, either in their local offices or in Washington, D.C. <P>Apparently, according to the article posted above, there is no "agenda" set in stone and the committees are now beginning funding decisions. Your representatives are easily reached online and by mail and 800 numbers.<P> So, excercise your rights as a citizen (if you are one in the United States) and communicate your views - don't just complain later - when it is too late.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 2:04 pm 

NEA Chairman's visit to Ohio generates news:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Arts grants for Ohio</B><P>Tony Brown, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>While he's in Cleveland, National Endowment for the Arts Chairman Bill Ivey is expected to announce that arts groups in Ohio will receive almost $1.1 million in the NEA's $54 million second major funding round of the year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/9876726091828661.xml" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>NEA chairman bringing boost for drama program</B><P>Tony Brown, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>When Cleveland Public Theatre asked kids in an after-school drama program at the Lakeview Terrace Estates public housing project to stage a show about where they live, they called it "Concrete Wonderland," a gritty, urban retelling of Lewis Carroll.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/9876726081828660.xml" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:40 pm 

<B>List of programs, cities to get national arts funding</B><P>BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The 20 cities and programs that will receive national funding from a three-year $4 million grant to support free arts classes for children living in public housing communities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.ohio.com:80/bj/news/ohio/docs/025204.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:25 am 

The big announcement:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>56 Bay Area groups awarded NEA grants <BR>They'll split a total of $1.2 million</B><P>Jesse Hamlin, SF Chronicle<P>The National Endowment for the Arts will give $53.9 million to arts groups around the country in the second and final installment of fiscal year 2001 grants.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/04/26/DD71155.DTL" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:26 am 

Another article on the SF Bay Area's portion of the grants:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>NEA grants flow to 58 area arts groups</B><P>LARGE AND SMALL ORGANIZATIONS SHARE IN $1.2 MILLION OF FEDERAL FUNDING<P>San Jose Mercury News<P>Fifty-eight area arts groups received more than $1.2 million in funding from the National Endowment of the Arts in grants announced last week.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/neagrants30.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail