public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fair Reporting of Dance/Issues?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 8:07 pm 

"Today's $64,000 question: Why do Blacks and dancers only make the front page of The New York Times when they're in trouble? "<P>"I am not saying that the media should ignore negative stories, but just that when it only reports on the negative -- especially, ESPECIALLY on a field, dance, which has brought and can bring so much LIGHT into<BR>our lives -- it is NOT telling the whole story, it is ruining its credibility with<BR>the dance world, and it is, in fact, telling a lie to the rest of the world."<P>the rest of this piece of writing, by paul ben-itzhak, amplifies his concern about this issue. it's worth reading, and will no doubt be of interest to some of you who have contacted me in recent months about irresponsible dance reporting in your own city or state...<BR> Image <BR>for more, see Flash Commentary 2, 5-29 at <A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com/f530_2.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danceinsider.com/f530_2.html</A> <BR> <P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 30, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fair Reporting of Dance/Issues?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 8:41 am 

you've got a point there, dirk, in your last para...<P>except that i wonder why you wouldn't want ballet to have a large fan-base?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fair Reporting of Dance/Issues?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 3:32 pm 

oh, i see - good point. <P>but there definitely isn't quite enough of a fan base at present in australia. i feel we are very much at the critical juncture of possible company closures, without some major changes, somehow...

Profile E-mail