public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thin dancers?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:00 pm 

Do you think that very thin dancers get the better roles/promotions/more attention in class etc. because of how thin they are?

I remember in the documentary, Dying To Be Thin, the dancer Eleena Melhameed from ABT said that when she was heavier the teachers ignored her and that when she was really really thin the teachers loved her and she was getting all the good parts in the school shows etc.

I also remember reading that the dancer who died from the Boston Ballet, Heidi Guenther, that her mother or someone else said that the thinner Heidi got, the more sucessful she was becoming in her career.

Do you find that this is normally the case in your experience?

Post subject: Re: thin dancers?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:35 pm 

I think that GOOD dancers get more attention/roles/promotions etc. I know that when I was in my personal best shape, I danced my best and had the most confidence.

When I was a student in the RWB professional program there was a dancer that got so thin that she was sent home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:32 pm 

As a cautionary tale, the great PNB ballerina, Deborary Hadley, told my students of an apprentice that the ADs had hired who was "30 pounds overweight" when hired but who arrived in Seattle "30 pounds underweight" (which means she lost 60 lbs.!) and was sent home, as she could not be used. The moral of the story is to be healthy! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:53 am 

i think thin dancers can look too pointy, its better to have smoother lines. But really if your healthy and fit you cant be to massive or too thin.

just another point, do some places prefer petite dancers and some prefer taller ones? coz im quite tall and i always thought dancers were prefered smaller, but reading some of thease posts it appears to be different...