public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Healthy Dancers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:21 pm 

Hello everyone! Thought you might be interested in this: there's a very informative publication coming out next week called 'Your Body Your Risk' - the book is an excellent resource for any dancer going through intensive training, or for parents of young dancers who want to make sure their kids are taking care of themselves and even dance teachers who want to give nutritional advice to their students . You can check out the publishers at <A HREF="http://www.danceuk.org" TARGET=_blank>www.danceuk.org</A> and put in an order for one, i highly recommend it.<P>Eating disorders are that dark, horrible untalked about secret that still runs rampant in dance today - and in society at large - i think this book tackles disordered eating in a mature, informational and empowering way.<P>I wish i had access to this type of info when I was at the height of my training ...

Post subject: Re: Healthy Dancers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 2:05 pm 

Me too!

Stuart posted this info on 'Your Body Your Risk' in the Studio forum:
'Your Body Your Risk' from DanceUK

Have you read Diet for 'Dancers: A Complete Guide to Nutrition and Weight Control' by Robin D. Chemlar & Sally S. Fitt? It looks at the combined effect of diet, nutrition and exercise.

[This message has been edited by Marie (edited October 08, 2001).]

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 17:48: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Healthy Dancers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 2:15 pm 
Both books will DEFINITELY be in my collection. And buy the new Pointe Magazine(Sep/Oct issue).Theres a great article on the Australian Ballet School and their holistic approach to training.<BR> Also check out lovely Illiana Lopez on the cover- <A HREF="http://www.pointemagazine.com" TARGET=_blank>www.pointemagazine.com</A> <BR>Now thats a strong and healthy looking lady;Ballet Florida dancers are modeling also in this issue--they have the same healthy look.