public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: The Keefer case's aftermath
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 7:09 pm 

Just a comment about the whole Keefer case: I think that it is ludicrous for Ms. Keefer to expect a ballet company to NOT judge by physical appearance. Unfortunately, dancers are always being judged superficially, and no matter what, that is how it's going to be. All companies want the very best dancers, and sometimes that means the best-looking or thinnest girls. I'm not saying that full-figured dancers have no future, but body type has always been a big issue in ballet, and cannot be dismissed and ignored. Ballet is not a free-for-all. I didn't get accepted into SAB, probably because I don't have the greatest feet to go along with my Balanchine body. I'm not making a law suit over it; PNB is great for me. <BR>-Sarah-

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 9:59 am 

We have to remember that although body types change with puberty, somethings never change. Turned in hips do not turn-out at puberty. Flexibility does not dramatically increase (especially in the back) at puberty; it usually decreases. A child with porportionately short legs at 8, will not have long ones at 12. Bowed legs won't go away when the hormones start raging. These unchangeables are what auditioners are looking at in an eight year old.<P>As for whether a trained eye can tell anything about technique from those news clips, a trained eye can.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:12 am 

Welcome to our board LMCTech - it's great to have you join us. <P>As you can see there has been quite a history of dicussion on this issue at this board.<P>I am wondering where the Keefer case is now - at what point in the complaint process it now rests?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 11:10 am 

Interesting... In "Dancing for the Gods," a documentary running on Ovation TV that travels to Cambodia to look at the renaissance of Khmer cultural dance, the director of the Cambodian school says of the audition process, "It helps if the child is beautiful, healthy and of good build."<P>It looks like this criteria for selecting future dancers for prestigious companies have been around for a very long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:57 am 

LMCTech, allow mw to add to Basheva's welcome. . .and thanks for your insights. Two other forums that may interest you are "Backstage" and "Managing Dance".<P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<P>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <BR>This Day in Arts History: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg/arthist.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg/arthist.htm</A><P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 5:28 pm 

I hear the case is coming back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:52 am 
Which ever way the case turns out this time,I hope the Ms Keefer's caughter isnt turned off by ballet permanently because of this;maybe it would be better to seek out schools that WOULD welcome her warmly.<BR> Beautiful looks may help get you through some doors,but it still doesnt say anything about GENUINE talent or potential;Gelsey Kirkland in her 1st book 'Dancing On My Grave' mentions how the ABT was trying to copy the 'Balanchine look'and style at that time ;they apparently wanted all the dancers to look alike and as a result,genuinely gifted dancers were being ignored and dismissed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6