public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance and autism
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:26 pm 

Hi, I´m new here and found your site while looking up information about autism and dance. I have a god-daughter who is probably autistic. I say probably because she doesn´t have a definite diagnosis yet, but we´re assuming that she is autistic. She´s almost 4 years old.

I´ve been looking for information about how dance can be a release for autistic children, and wondered if anyone had any resources they could direct me to? I have a background in ballet, and so her parents and I always assumed I would arrange ballet classes for Charlotte when she was old enough. Ballet seems something she would take to very naturally since the routine and perfectionism and near obsessiveness of it would certainly appeal to her! But then I started thinking that perhaps if this is how she is, would it perhaps be better to introduce her to a type of dance that was less structured, in an attempt to get her used to less structured activities. Does anyone have any experience of how autistic children cope or even excel in different types of dance classes? Also, what age do people consider a good age to start classes?

Any advice would be very welcome, especially if anyone knows of any articles on the internet about this kind of thing.
Thanks,
Eli

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance and autism
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:39 pm 

Hi Eli and welcome to CriticalDance. I'm going to move your post to our "Studio" forum, where teachers may repond to your enquiry and I have prepared a short response which I hope you find useful.

Look to top left for the direct link to the new location of the topic.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]