public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dance attitudes survey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 8:25 pm 

I am presently in the process of researching a comprehensive thesis on Dance and its affects on individuals and society. It would be great if members could reply their personal definitions of dance and how it affects them as an individual. And if possible, how one thinks it affects society. Below, is my own personal definition of Dance. I cant wait to hear yours!!<P>Dance is one of the most ancient activities in history, and it is no surprise to me. Dance may be primarily a physical action but in addition, it affects me in an emotional and spiritual way. My attitudes to dance are epitomised in a statement by Jaques D'Amboise:<P>"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It's the rhythm of your life. Its the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness and envy."<P>I believe there are 3 elements to dance: physical, emotional and spiritual and that the combination of these elements for me, is the most uplifting, enlightening and awesome experience of all. It is my consummate passion, and it will always be. Because, you can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart. <P><BR>I thank you kindly for your response. Also, if any would like to discuss this further, I have a questionnaire prepared if anyone is interested. Thankyou again. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance attitudes survey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 7:28 am 

First let me welcome you to the board, Scalette - it is a pleasure to have you join us. Here is my response as to how dance affects me personally.<P>I am an old lady with an addiction. When I first encountered the cause of my addiction I was not warned how all consuming it could become. I was not even told to be aware of allowing it to happen. As with most habits it started out innocently enough; once a week, for the fun of it. Then one day I experienced a high and I was hooked! No matter what other things were happening in my life I craved more and the more I gave in, the hungrier I got. As soon as circumstances would allow I indulged my habit several times a week until every day was occupied with this over riding thirst. In time my body let me know that it needed one day of release but I had trouble abstaining even for that short length of time. My consuming passion included all aspects of indulgence; watching others partake, analyzing many elements and modalities, reading the history of this particular human activity and collecting various related paraphernalia.<P>I have tried to cleanse myself but find this compulsion is a jealous mistress. There are many who instruct how to begin, but I can find no one to tell me how to stop. It is impossible to imbibe judiciously, one sip and the thirst grows. I have also tried other forms of release but none have adequately answered my need. My addiction affects how I think, how I look, how I perceive myself and alters my very chemistry. I have found no other substitution. There are a number of forms of this passion but I have very purposefully chosen to follow the oldest and most subtle form. I have consistently allowed the more modern nuances to overtake and pass me by. I am content with the most classical and romantic form of this activity and prefer to speak to the world in an old tongue. When I am thus engaged I think of all the others who came before me and laid down the parameters of the four hundred year old discipline I must follow. Though it is my joy it is also my grief because I know that ultimately my body will no longer to able to satisfy my appetite.<P>I am willing to subjugate myself to almost unspeakable toil and a great deal of pain. Hours, years, are spent on the tiniest detail, all for a fleeting moment of flight. Though the bonds are enduring, the accomplishment is totally ethereal and dissipates at the very moment of realization. It is my torment and my delight. I subject myself happily to its demands. I approach it with purpose and hopefully with grace.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:42 pm 

Dance is everywhere and everything. Dance is movement around me, in me, and on me. Dance is shape, but more than that, it is the space in between.<P>How has dance affected me? Apparently so much that I cannot remember a time when dance wasn't part of my daily existance. For me, dance is the way I live my life. Yes, of course dance is applause and bright lights blinding me from all angles, and sweaty costume changes, perfectly balanced arabesques, the strength of a difficult lift, hair pulled back so tight that my eyes hurt. Dance is three hours in a studio working on one turn, the first hip pop of the day, grande allegro in a gigantic studio where I have as much air space as I want, pointed feet, remembered combinations, intricate footing, whirlwind turns,and artistry, artistry, artistry. It is all of these things.<P>But beyond that . . . dance to me is everything else as well. It is that first full stretch of the day, under the covers and still groggy. It is the impeccable motor skills that it takes to brush my teeth and dry my hair at the same time. It is a sprint for the bus, and a momentum filled swing into the first available seat. It is also the fact that I stop at every mirror I encounter and enjoy a little time just staring at my hands as they work into some East Indian poses, look at the line from my neck to my shoulder, see the tilt of my head as opposed to the upswing of my arms, before moving back into the real world. It is my posture at all times, and the fact that it is not humanly possible for me to sit in an arm chair without putting my feet up in some contortionist position, and why -- when watching my rehearsals from the audience in a theater -- my legs are always in a huge straddle on the seats in front of me. Dance is thinking about exactly what my body consumes and how I am holding the glass when I consume it. Dance is not being able to sit still my whole life. It is a natural sensuousness I have exuded from a surprisingly young age. It is the fact that my feet are perpetually pointed when not on the ground. It is how I think, how I eat, how I love, how I work, and how I relate.<P>Dance is my breath.<P>tura

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:55 pm 

Dance was originally for religious purposes, but did you ever watch a toddler sway to music. Dance is inborn. Even people who say they do not dance will sway and move to music.<P>Dance is a part of our soul. I am sure dance is in Heaven -- why else would they need the harps and trumpets?<P>Janet<P>------------------<BR>Janet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:59 pm 

I am so inspired by these response, I am momentarily speechless. I have to catch my breath!! Will reply soon! Welcome scarlett, and thanks for your provocative question!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 8:15 pm 

Dance emerged from my heart as I emerged from the womb, it quickly spread everywhere else as dance began to take on the most important role in my life. Dance is my daily bread, so to speak..it engulfs all of my senses and remains my life long passion no matter what challenges I may face in the outside world. Dance warms the spirit for so many people, its power (like that of all the arts) is undescribable. Whatever form the dance takes on, whatever location, whoever dances, makes no matter only that dance is the daily walk of life for many, a survival tool. Just as it is for me and yet an inborn survival tool. Everyone is born with it, only a few are lucky enough to realize it in today's culture which has travelled far from earlier cultures which recognized the healing, powerful effects of dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:19 am 

I took ballet in 4th grade and thought I would be a professional but quit in 7th grade as I was very skinny and embarressed about how I looked. For years, I talked about restarting ballet. When my now 20 year old daughter started ballet I realized that I had quit for the wrong reason. At 38 I enrolled in beginning ballet. I am 54 (today) and still take class - it is my exercise, stress reduction and "centering activity". I live for my weekly classes. My personal quote "nursing is my profession - ballet is my obsession"<p>[This message has been edited by dancing_granny (edited April 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 2:09 pm 

And here is a very interesting quote by action movie director John Woo, of stunt doubles:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Their courage, determination, and the risks they take add to the beauty of their action. I think they have the same noble hearts and spirit of <B>ballet</B> dancers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010419/lath043.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 12:25 am 

Image <P>Carlos Acosta and Christopher Saunders in MacMillan’s 'Gloria' - the physical and emotional combined with social commentary to create art of the highest order. <P>Photo: Bill Cooper <P>A choreographer can find inspiration in a variety of ways. Although social issues do not figure as strongly in great dance as they do in great literature, there is a body of work addressing such themes, which I find has great resonance for me.<P>Here are a couple of extracts from an article I had published in the March 2000 'Dance Europe' magazine on the theme of 'Dance and Human Rights':<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dance is perhaps the most human of art forms, it needs nothing beyond the body to express profound emotion, and communicate directly. Choreographers create art with and through people, so it is unsurprising that some will find inhumanity and the indomitable human spirit a source of inspiration. In this article, I will give some examples from the significant body of work that demonstrates the common ground between human rights and dance and outline the thoughts of various choreographers on how this theme has influenced them and on the interaction of their work with audiences.....<P>War has always been one of the most horrific sources of human rights abuses. In 1932 the revolutionary German choreographer Kurt Jooss drew on his concerns about the consequences of the Versailles Treaty, and the work of the artist Kathe Kollwitz, to create 'The Green Table'. At the start of a series of tableaux, the comic posturing of politicians heralds the outbreak of war. In subsequent scenes we see the impact of war on soldiers, refugees and other victims and their exploiters. Over-seeing these scenes is the archetypal figure of Death. Finally, we return to the politicians reopening their talks - all the suffering was for nothing. As Joan Lawson writes, 'There is no doubt that Jooss's introduction to the stage of these more real characters…, showed many choreographers and dancers how it was possible to introduce contemporary topics, situations and characters…without losing sight of the fundamental theatrical principles and techniques'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:45 am 

Very good, Stuart!! Profound thoughts on a profound topic. I certainly never forgot "Green Table"....it's message was abundantly clear and piercingly made.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 1:21 am 

Dance is something that has always been a part of me, and always will be. It is all I have ever known, I am 16 years old and in June will be compleating my 14th year of dance. Emotionaly, dance has taken its toll on me due to changing studios sos many times and disappointments from auditions and such, however that is a part of the feild. mentally, dance is my everything......you could wake me up at 2 in the morning and say let's go practice....i am all game.<P><P>------------------<BR>DancingDreams13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:37 am 

Hello Dancing Dreams - welcome to our board - so glad to have you join us.<P>Want to go practice? LOL - let's go----->

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 3:19 pm 

Hey Thanks Basheva.....you'll never nkow how I found out about this website.....ah ham....let me say it feels good to be welcomed to the boards again....and you'll laugh if I told you why I got kicked out of somewhere else! lol....I just had to make this post to prove a point..hopefully these boards won't turn out to be so conterversial...thanks for welcoming me! Wanna practice....I feel in the mood for soem soild pointe work...I need all the help I can get!<P>DancingDreams13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 5:29 pm 

Dance is within each of us, one way or another. I have watched both of my daughters dance before they even walked. They might learn from the people around them. But each child on this earth, in my<BR>opinion, "wired to dance".

Profile E-mail