public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: the us and its attorney general
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 5:34 pm 

Well, it seems that the country manages to survive no matter who is in power. It was foretold that the NEA would cease to exist some time ago. But the Republicans have controlled Congress for the past 6 years, and the NEA is still around. And it is in Congress where the money bills originate. <P>Things have a way of averaging out, I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 11:32 am 

As an avid partisan and lawyer, I have attempted to keep out of this discussion as I shudder to think of a Justice Department headed by Ashcroft. I cannot, however, let Basheva's comments pass without comment.<P>The NEA is in SERIOUS trouble with this administration, from Lynn Ceney all the way through the Gingrich holdover Contract on America. The MAIN reason that the NEA was off the republican radar screen for so long is that any curtailing of funding by legislation would not be veto proof. No so any longer. Furthermore, the NEA made an astute political move in hiring the former head of the Grand Ole Opry as their congressional frontman. What might they be forced to do to keep the rabid right placated now that they have a clear path to withdraw funding?<P>The issue of funding will continue to worsen if the Republican 's get their way and make donations to faith based organisations have better tax consequences than the arts together with the economic downturn already in progress.<P>I urge everyone who reads this to pull out their chequebooks and write what you can (10 bucks, whatever!) to you favourite arts organisation today.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 11:36 am 

I have written a fair number of checks to arts organizations, and I am part of the "rabid right". But I don't bite. <P>I would never label anyone "rabid" for their political beliefs. It is part of the greatness of this country that we don't do that. Other political beliefs are accorded respect. And I respect yours, Shag.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:17 pm 

This is tricky, but i think we have strayed too far out of bounds here. So I'm closing this topic.<P>The question of the NEA will come up again and rightly so, but for the time being I think we'd better let this one rest. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2