public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: the us and its attorney general
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:27 pm 

i just completed an online petition asking that our president in the USA does not get his pick for attorney general into office.<BR>The last article said that due to his religious beliefs,John ashcroft, attorney genral nominee, refused to dance at his own inauguration (sp). His view is that dance is immoral, he opposes funding for the National endowment for the Arts, in addition to opposing other important issues that i don't think are appropriate to bring up on this board. I don't understand how he can claim to be educated and hold such a narrow view of the world.

Post subject: Re: the us and its attorney general
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 5:38 pm 

Our Constitution guarantees him the right to those views and our respect for his right. <P>The job of Attorney General is not about what he believes but how he enforces the laws that are on the books - that is all we have a right to ask of him. <P>There are many religions that feel that dancing - or theater in general is immoral - that is their right to do so. Shall we then keep other religions out of government too?<P>As long as he upholds the laws then he will have fulfilled his oath of office. There are a number of laws I don't agree with - but they are the laws of the land and I have to obey them. And, when he takes his oath of office he will be swearing that too. Only if he breaks that faith do we have a right to deny him the office, in my opinion.<P>------------------<BR>Approach life as a dancer approaches the barre, with grace and purpose.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 6:12 pm 

Basheva, I agree with you in principle but it may not bode well for dance when you have someone in influence in government who feels so strongly against it. The funding of dance or even its legislation is not in the Attorney General's realm of authority but as we know Attorney Generals past, up until Janet Reno (who has otherwise been political within her own jurisdictive powers according to some), have gone outside their authority to influence the policy of government. A US President will draw upon the collective "wisdom" of his cabinet regardless of cabinet position.<P>For Ashcroft to be so religiously faithful to a belief that makes him come into direct opposition to something that is the faith of other Americans may not be a good thing. As long as he can suspend his religious beliefs while he has the cabinet's ear, he will do no harm to dance. The question is can he put aside his beliefs everyday while he is Attorney General, especially for someone so rooted in his beliefs?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited January 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 7:33 pm 

That is part of his oath, Azlan - and so we shall see. I would never think to bar someone from office because of religious beliefs. I will judge them by how they carry out the office to which they are sworn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 4:49 am 

Basheva, your statement says it all.<P>An oath MEANS something. I'm supsect of folks THEMSELVES that believe one probably will be taken lightly.<P>I would imagine that an executive of Safeway might very well be capable of running that grocery enterprise profitably even though in fact he might be a confirmed vegetarian. ( I know nothing about Safeway personally. Other than that I shop there a few times a week. Just pulled their name out of the air.)<P>And I'm sure that SOMEWHERE in that huge grocery chain there is a religious checker that objects to alcohol consumption that can be trusted to ring beer up on the register at the counter without delivering a sermon to eveyone that purchases it.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 5:47 am 

i agree that someone's personal beliefs should be personal - just like their personal BEHAVIOUR (omigod, she's not going to bring <BIG>THAT</BIG> up, is she?.......!!!)<P>hmm... Image ...getting back on topic here.....i would, however be concerned about the influence of someone in such a position who is avowedly against dance and/or the arts - IF that is what is being said - but i'm in a rush - i probably got it wrong! - maybe he's just against that particular method of arts funding? (NEA) and is the arts a big part of the attorney-general's portfolio, anyway.....i dunno - i suppose i should leave this to you americans...after all, you did such a good job with bill clinton's private pursuits...<BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG>HAHA!</BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG> .....<P><I>sorry...</I> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 6:37 am 

Actually as I understand it, the role of the Attorney General is not that of setting policy - but of enforcing the laws already on the books. He doesn't make law - Congress does that - he enforces law. <P>And I agree with Jane - the oath of office does, should, and must mean something. The oath that is sworn whether as an officer or as a witness is the underpinning to jurisprudence. It is a very old concept. That is why perjury is not a misdemeanor - but a felony. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:42 am 

We will have to wait and see what Ashcroft's confirmation hearings bring, which start on Tues. , I believe. I may oppose his nomination, but not for the "dance" reasons. We will have to see what his past record on race and other issues are...I believe there are some questions about him on those scores. I don't believe we can discount him due to his religious views, any more than we could have discounted Joseph Lieberman, (conservative Jewish) who was the vice-presidential candidate for Mr. Gore. <p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited January 15, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:47 am 

Well, it HAS to "mean something".<P>Some folks were concerned with Lieberman. As an Orthox Jew, he had always strictly observed his Sabbath. But he PROMISED the American people that if the National Interest required it, he would WORK on his Sabbath.<P>Now no matter WHAT other issues I had with his platform, I really believe the man MEANT that when he said it.<P>I believe Ashcroft too.<P>In the course of his personal LIFE if he serves as inspiration to someone and influences them, well, I guess that is a compliment.<P>

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 11:56 am 

Lieberman is not a conservative Jew he is orthodox. But all Jews believe in the Sabbath and only differ in the degree to which it is observed. In the case of orthodox Judiasm if life is at stake then that takes precedence over observing the Sabbath.<P><BR>In either case a person should be believed until proven otherwise. Innocent until proven guilty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:26 pm 

Good luck to all of you in the US over the next 4 years with "W" and company. I mean that in all sincerity. Thank god the Separatists in Quebec don't have any bones to pick with art.<BR>Did anyone else catch the Saturday Night Live opening sketch this week? I thought it was very funny, but then again, I have a lowbrow sense of humour.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:45 pm 

Yes, I know. I stated that he is Orthodox.<P>And PERSONALLY, I wouldn't CARE if he decided to ditch a meeting with the Queen of England because she happened to be in town on the Sabbath.<P>But I'd expect him to respond if Tony Blair insisted HE had something important to talk to him about.<P>I trust that he would have done it. I accepted it at face value because the man said he would. But lots of folks won't give Ashcroft the same vote of confidence in that area.<P>As far as I know, he has always tried to do EXACTLY what he promised the folks that voted for him that he would do.<P>As long as he keeps his promises, he's ok in my book. And in this instance he has promised to enforce the existing laws.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 4:26 pm 

i see this topic is far too serious for my humour... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 4:36 pm 

Grace---maybe you can only have a sense of humor about all this becasue you live in Australia!! (heeheehee)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 4:42 pm 

you're probably right, trina.... Image

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next