public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is a beginning overweight adult student frowned upon?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:49 am 

No one is going to look down on you, they are to busy looking down on themselves! You can totally do it. I do know of a couple of girls who are at least 20 lbs overweight... who are on pointe, and they are strong dancers. They just have to try harder cause they have more to lug around up there you know? So it is possible, but do try hard to lose it and the efforts will be worth it I never look down on anyone, and anyone who does, whether it be because of their weight, age, sex or whatever, they have a problem...with themselves! So don't occupy your mind with people's supposive thoughts. You are there to enjoy yourself and reach a goal, and you need to concentrate to do that! Free your mind and put your best foot forward. Before you know it you'll be thinner and you'll dance better too! Just concentrate now and don't obbsess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:56 pm 
There maybe a reason why the Corvinos cant be located--arent they/werent they near the WTC(their building that is)?????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:18 pm 

Oh dear...I hoped nothing has happened to the Corvinos. They are very old, dear friends of mine. I will search for the address. It's on 19th street, I believe. Did you try calling NYC information?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:23 pm 

The address is 890 Broadway at 19th Street. But the website I checked might be outdated. If you're really intersted in finding out...call The Juilliard School Dance Divison. Andra Corvino teaches there. Ask the receptionist there for the studio address and phone number. I dont' think that studio address is that close to the World Trade Center; it's at least a mile away.<BR>Also, on a separate note, shouldn't this thread be moved to "Studio"?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:13 pm 
OOOPS--I done it again......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:14 pm 
OOOPS--I done it again......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:08 am 

Hi guys! Corvino isn't quite in the WTC area. I Know because I WORK at "groundzero" almost every day......<P>If the 19th Street adress is correct, that would put it in Chelsea whihc is close but not even walking distance really so they were safe - trust me. <P>I did call information, got some info that was a tad different from what angela (?) gave me and tried that too. No luck....like I said I called both places and left messages both places, but never got a call back and so assumed I had gotten the wrong number. I also thought that because neither answering machine message actually SAID Corvino.....so.....<P>But if someone finds them let me know. I'd love to try them out since they came so highly recommended.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:41 pm 
Well,I'm glad they are not near there(WTC).<BR>But getting back to Dani's subject,this seems like a great time for adults of any background.shape,size to take ballet classes and a time where there are compassionate teachers like Basheva and Jillana(BRAVA!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:53 pm 
Oh and babygurlesq,as far as what people consider healthy and/or curvy--if you compare someone like Emily Molnar to the traditional Balanchine ballerina(a look that alot of ADs still seem to favor),well.....need I say more???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 11:05 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Plus-Size Dancers Stomp Skinny Stereotypes<P>ABCNEWS.com on Yahoo!<P>An innovative modern dance troupe has encouraged a group of large women to follow their dance dreams.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20011129/en/gma011129big_dance_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 8:08 pm 
Thanks dude!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 11:27 pm 

There was a group on I belive it was Good Moring AMerica a couple weeks ago of plus sized dancers. These were older women who had always wanted to dance but never had time or felt out of place for not being the "typical ballet size" and they formed this group and they talked about how much they love dance and how glad they are they gave it a chance. I dont' know a lot of info or if it is strictly ballet or modern or what or how the group came about etc... cause I was getting ready for work and only watched a small bit, but I just thought what they had done was such a wonderful idea-and shows that everyone can enjoy and participate in dance

Joey: That's it, you hide my underwear i'm gonna do the exact opposite to you.<br><BR>Chandler: what, what are you going to show me my clothes?<br><BR>Joey: Hey, opposite is... opposite<br><BR>FRIENDS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:56 am 
In Nov/Dec issue of POINTE(w/beautiful Tamara Rojo on the cover)theres an article in the NUTRILINES section that will make folks on either side of the weight issue feel better!(page 106).