public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is a beginning overweight adult student frowned upon?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 6:05 am 

While in high school I had studied ballet for several years. Unfortunately, I stopped in college and put on a lot of weight. I am thinking about taking up ballet again a few times a week but am truly self-conscious because I no longer have my dancer body. Are the classes nowadays generally encouraging to those who want to participate regardless of a less than perfect physique or are those overweight people frowned upon. Please let me know. Also, any info on a good adult (beginner for now) class in NYC would be greatly appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is a beginning overweight adult student frowned upon?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:54 am 

You will find that the attitude and focus in an adlut recreation class to be completely different than that in a class geared towards advanced level teens. The body type issue is hardly mentioned at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:08 pm 

I teach a lot of adult classes. As long as the student works hard and has a good attitude, I don't care if they look like string beans or butter balls!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:34 pm 

Lol, Jillana! Image <P>Dani, did you read this thread:<BR><a href=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000929.html><B>Dancing in New York</B></a><P>Size in relation to technique can be a state of mind. You can let your interpretation of what the "right size" is take away from your experience, or you can just let it go and enjoy dancing. Image<P><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited October 23, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 3:04 pm 

As an overweight student and also having the same aprehensions, maby this will help. Search as many schools as you can. If you feel uncomfortable at one school, find another. You are paying good money to learn something you will love. It will make you want to eat healthy and exercise more. It took me a while to find a place where I felt comfortable. I even had one teacher tell me that no matter how much weight I lost, she would never put me on pointe. Well that made me feel like eating a doughnut! I found that when I was straight forward with a teacher and let them know what I expected of class and what I expected to bring to the class, they were more were responsive and interested in teaching me. Sure, im in a class with three 45 year olds and the rest 15 year olds, but now if I miss a class I am greeted by a bunch of 6th graders who want to teach me what I missed. And when your bum hurts from your first class youll wonder why you ever messed with trying to suffer through step aerobics. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:26 am 
I'm curious happymagill,if this is not TOO personal will you be aiming toward pointe and are you in a place where you are encouraged to as far as you want to???<BR> Also in the book Ballet Fit and in Linda Hamiltons advice column,they both advise an overweight student to take 3 aerobic classes along w/one ballet class. And there have been testimonies where ballet has help people LOSE weight(in Ballet Fit I think a woman lost like 50 pounds while taking classes);also its good for weight control also!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:14 am 

Yes Angela, I am aiming to work on pointe, but with realistic goals. I do not have the body of one who has been taking classes since they were three. If I had been I would not be a Massage therapist. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week when possible and ballet three times a week. I also have the book ballet fit and find it a great tool to communicate with teachers. Many of the ballet teachers that I went to were discouraging. For an adult you need to know how much hard work it will take to dance on pointe and your determination needs to match that times ten. If I only get to do work at the barre that will be enough for me. Anything after that will be more than a blessing for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:42 pm 
Thanks for answering Happy.Its funny;if you look at the Ballet section and go to the BC ballet thread,look at that picture of Emily Molnar-very curvaceous,solidly built;check out the dancers of Diablo,DTH,SJB too.None of them look like they have the bodies I know you are talking about;the old concept is SLOWLY changing in some circles.<BR> I other words YOU GO GIRL!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:48 pm 
To be more specific Happymagill,its the Ballet British Columbia thread to see the picture of Emily;beautiful looking dancer,w/great ability from what I read.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 5:08 pm 

Hey! Just wanted to thank you all for the good words and encouragement! I just got home from my first class and remembered how much I love ballet! I've got a lot of brushing up to do after not having taken a class in 10 years (high school!!) but am looking forward to and welcoming the challenge!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:57 pm 

Thanks Angela. It is nice to see feminine looking ballerinas. Also I did not ansure your question before but I have been VERY encouraged to work twards pointe. I did have to search for an understanding teacher.<p>[This message has been edited by happymagill (edited November 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:38 am 

I can't find the Ballet British COlumbia Thread.....<P>Can someone help?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:36 am 

It's in the ballet forum:

Ballet British Columbia

<center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center>

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 15:18: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:41 am 

Dani - <BR>I recommend Eva Evdokimova at Ballet Arts and Dena Moss at the Joffrey. I never was able to find the Corvino school. They're voicemail (if it was them) didn't say Corvino and they never called me back. I used the number given me on the thread that was linked AND my own info from information. But good luck finding them! If you can let me know....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:52 am 

Oh and Marie thanks for the link. I am always intersted to see what other people think qualifies as "healthy" or "curvy".<P>And my take on the wieght issue? I think you'll have more resistance to being "too old" in the NYC dance world than being overweight. They just don't really care about adults beyond more than providing a fitness focus with ballet as the "exercise of choice". I'm realizing that the MOST I can hope for is a teacher who might even briefly CONSIDER putting me on pointe. Anything else will be a miracle and a blessing. I treat the experience as such to minimize my disappointment. Trust me, if I didn't lower the bar some as far as what to expect, I'd have run screaming from the studio long ago. <P>Don't even consider your weight or your age though. Just dance and see what happens. Let them feel how they feel about whether or not you should "be there" and ignore, ignore. Taking in too much of that negativity is no good. Take it from a pro. Image Good luck.

Profile E-mail