home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: State of the Arts in the Aftermath of the US Elections
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:19 am 

Quote:
Post-election, Bay Area artists raise the distress flag

SF Chronicle

The outcome of the presidential election may have been bad news for many in the Bay Area, but for much of the region's arts community, it was a call to action. <a href=http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/11/08/DDG2R9N2UD1.DTL target=_blank>more</a>
&nbsp

artists reflect on next four years

Quote:
SAM GREEN, filmmaker
"I've always felt that government support for the arts was going to dwindle, and it was important to find ways to work without it. Bush's re- election accelerates the timetable," he said.
A frightening, yet realistic statement. No discussion on this subject CD.com'rs????

<small>[ 10 November 2004, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: State of the Arts in the Aftermath of the US Elections
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:40 am 

That is a reasonable fear. But even if the amount spent on the arts doesn't decrease, a possibility that is scarier to me is that there could be a change in the type of art that is funded. From the same article:

Quote:
JOSE CUELLAR, musician
"I am so depressed." he said. "I think it's going to have a chilling effect on certain art projects that depend on federal funds. Things may now be reviewed with a more ideological framework that represents the new values orientation."
I'm afraid we'll see support for faith-based organizations and not for artists and organizations of diversity."

<small>[ 09 November 2004, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:32 pm 

There's a certain sad irony here. For years, conservative critics of government arts funding have bemoaned "government bureaucrats' deciding which programs will be funded" -- and, if you know anything about the review process at almost any level of government, you know that that isn't happening...and never really has.

Until now. The Bush administration has actually proposed an increase in the NEA budget, with the extra money earmarked for classical arts programs. In other words, government bureaucrats are to decide which programs are to be funded.

<small>[ 10 November 2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:19 am 

Just to place NEA expenditure in some context, here is a comparison between the situation in the UK and the US from an essay I wrote on arts funding. It's also worth bearing in mind that government Arts spend in the UK is generally less that seen in Continental Europe.

It is also useful to compare Arts Council England's (ACE) budget with its sister organisation in the USA, the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA):

ACE total grants (2003/4) = £335m
(source: ACE, 2004)

NEA total grants (2004) = $121m (£67m)
(NEA, 2004)

Populations (2004), England: 49.1m, USA: 293.0m (CIA Yearbook, 2004). Thus per capita grant aid from the two organisations are:
ACE: £335m / 49.1m = £6.81
NEA: = £67m / 293 m = £0.23

ie per capita government spend in the UK is 30 times higher than in the US. This is against a background that per capita Gross Domestic Product in the US is about 35% higher than the UK.

I am aware that:

- Personal and corporate donations to arts organisations are much higher in the USA, due to the tax advantages available for charitable donations. However, this does leave smaller and new organisations without social clout at a severe disadvantage.

- NEA grants can open the way for grants from other organisations.

Nevertheless, it seems irrefutable that US Government spend on the Arts is peanuts compared with European countries. While I can understand that government spending on the Arts should be less, given the different political philosophies, let's hypothesise a situation where the USA spent the same as the UK in absolute terms and we ignore the fact that the US has six times the population of England. That implies an NEA budget of $600m, which could still be seen as frugal in many quarters.

<small>[ 12 November 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:30 am 

There's a similar fear (already partially realized) in science funding:
1. Funding for basic research has been declining for many years.
2. Increasingly, funding is being decided not by a rigorous peer review process, but rather by the "values" ideology of beaurocrats.

Time and time again over the last four years, we have seen a chilling effect on science that does not fit the ruling ideology. This includes global warming, AIDS research, and now stem cell research as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:31 am 

Another comparison:

The Arts Council of Ireland (Eire) has just announced an increase of its annual funding to $81m.

NEA budget - $121m

Population of Eire - 4m

Population of the US - 293m

per person spend US - $0.41
per person spend Eire - $20.25

A ratio of 50 to 1.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:34 am 

'We have to protect people'

President Bush wants 'pro-homosexual' drama banned. In The Guardian, Gary Taylor meets the politician in charge of making it happen.

What should we do with US classics like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or The Color Purple? "Dig a hole," Gerald Allen recommends, "and dump them in it." Don't laugh. Gerald Allen's book-burying opinions are not a joke.

Earlier this week, Allen got a call from Washington. He will be meeting with President Bush on Monday. I asked him if this was his first invitation to the White House. "Oh no," he laughs. "It's my fifth meeting with Mr Bush."

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:36 am 

Tha above article is from a UK newspaper. Have I missed discussions about this aspect of arts policy in the US press?

<small>[ 10 December 2004, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:47 am 

<sniff> I smell burning paper....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:34 pm 

One of the tactics I've seen again and again in this administration is to introduce bills like this is a way so quiet the American press does not notice. Time and time again, I'm learning these things from the British press. At least the British journalistic community is still doing its job.

In the meantime.... GET ME MY PASSPORT!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:51 am 

Burning paper! :(

That is right; these bills and such are introduced very quietly, so that no one notices what is going on. Perhaps just before the holidays? -sigh-

We, too, hear about things mostly from the British press, or of course Alternet and MoveOn and such.

To those Americans in the States: is there discussion of this in the companies/schools?

-d-