public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The War for Education Dollars - Academics vs Phys Ed/Dan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:53 am 

Christina:<P>To me, it is just amazing to look at the 18 year old dancers that I know now, and compare them to the dancers they were at 13 years old.<P>Back THEN, they compared leotards, "warmies", hair accessories, "100 different things you can do with a ballet bun" and even the "latest" street clothes that they wore "into" and "out of" the studio.<P>As they got older - - - - - -- - -- - -- <P>Well, let's just say that "pretty" is sometimes reserved for opening night Image<P>But ALL of them STILL stay in the shower until the last drop of hot water is drained from that big old tank. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.<P>What they don't spend on "work clothes" when they get older, they DO spend on electricity.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 1:23 pm 

What about the concept of school getting one ready for the real world? The real world can be quite competitive, can it not?<P>I think that competition and attainment of standards can still be done in a thoughtful manner. Like most things it is how it is presented and who presents it that makes a great difference.<P>It is up to the teacher to make each student's contribution of value...but that doesn't mean getting rid of standards.<P>The only thing I disliked about PE was if it was boring...I liked learning something - rather than just "jumping jacks". Gosh I hated them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:40 pm 

Oh, well. I usually just delete the "humorous" and inspiratonal chain letters I get everyday.<P>But I have an email buddy in Louisiana that sends them only EVERY ONCE in a while. So I read his. And these seem so PERTINENT to this thread.<P>I love these two "Southern Observations" (just lifted them from a long list):<P>"I'm in shape. Round is a shape."<P>"I'm not into working out. My philosophy is "no pain, no pain".<P>I love that man.<P>

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 10:52 am 

An interesting twist:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Health and Fitness Advocates Including the American Heart Association Asking Legislature to Deny School Requests for Waivers From State PE Requirements</B><P>SPRINGFIELD, Ill., May 15 /PRNewswire/ -- It's that time of year again and a number of Illinois schools are making excuses to the Illinois Senate so they don't have to require daily physical education for K-12 students. But at a hearing of the Senate Education Committee, scheduled for 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 16, the American Heart Association and the Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (IAHPERD), will urge senators to deny 18 physical education waiver requests from Illinois school districts or at least reduce them from five years to two, in accordance with recommendations from the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010515/cgtu074_2.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 5:57 am 

I enjoyed PE, because as a dancer, I like beig physical, but some things were containdicated for dance.<P>I found running took away some of my leg flexibility, so I had to limit that.<P>Also, I found the teachers to favor the more physical ones, therefore making the less physical ones feel "less than good".<P>They do tend to favor the more sports oriented kids.<P>I was not great at certain sports, but adequate. I wish they would have had dance in PE other than square dancing.<P>I feel it is a shame that outside dance (yes a minimum amount of hours would be required) could not be considered equal to taking PE.<P>In performing arts schools, there is none, it is dance.<P>Sigh.<P>Janet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 8:18 am 

JLL - When I was teaching in the San Diego area, it was possible for my ballet students to get credit for taking my ballet classes.<P>I had to keep track of their hours and then grade them on progress, attendance, and attitude. I do know, however, that this is not allowed in many areas.<P>I think it should be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 8:32 am 

I guess the situation in Canada is not all that different:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Combining arts with the three 'r's</B><P>MICHAEL TUTTON, The Canadian Press<P>...<P>Nick Webb, an arts professor at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, estimates that half the children in the province don't have access to arts programs in schools. <P>Elsewhere in Canada, the arts are often regarded as being "decorative icing", rather than a key to learning. That doesn't just hurt the soul, it harms the brain, he says.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.canoe.com/CNEWSFeatures0106/14_r-cp.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 10:34 pm 

Hang on to your hats, this is long Image<P><BR>PE in middle school was mostly a social time for us dancers. We thought nothing of the 2 mile run to start off the class and took turns leading the "stretch" exercises before and after. Part of the year was co-ed and part was not. We revolted when it was not, because the guys got to lift weights while the girls played field hockey, then the guys wrestled while we "danced" to a small-screen video of Richard Simmons.<P>I remember my PE teacher commenting to me one day that I followed the video very well and should stand in front of the class next day so they could follow me. Um, yeah. I asked her if I could BE the video and just teach the class myself. She didn't care, she just sat and read magazines and drank her coffee anyway. So I taught the rest of the dance portion of PE for that year. I was also excused from band class once a day to teach dance PE for an 8th grade class. (I was in 7th)<P>Back to the weights and wrestling... female PE teacher had a nervous breakdown towards the end of field hockey section, so the girls were thrown in with the guys in the weight room. What fun! At first they only let us spot the guys, we weren't allowed to touch anything but hand-held 1-3lb weights. But when we had memorized the posters on the walls and were lifting the 80lb bench press off the guys' chests when they overestimated themselves, they let us take our turn. <P>PE was on our terms for the rest of middle school, (grade 8 and 9) because we told them what we wanted and proved that we could do it. In Canada we didn't have Presidential exams obviously, but we did have a yearly fitness test that included running, jumping, push ups, sit ups, as well as volleyball, badminton, basketball and floor hockey written and skill tests. Yes, we had written tests in PE. Anything from rules to history was fair game and we had no material to study from. Anyone who didn't score at least 95% was ridiculed because we LIKED this stuff and we should have known it.<P>PE was a mixed experience for me in middle school I guess. The guys enjoyed it, but they were really catered to. Us girls had to fight for what we wanted, but once we proved ourselves, we enjoyed it too.<P>High school was a different experience. Everything was co-ed and tournament style. We started the year with running, 2 min the first day, then 4, then 6, up to 36 minutes. Laps were counted by partners, we ran in two shifts. Since it was a fairly gradual increase in time, 2 min per day, mostly everyone was able to keep up. You had the option of walking, but you had to do both shifts and count your own laps. You were expected to average the same number of laps if not more than the runners in the double time. We had loud music playing the whole time, helps to motivate. For the first week or so when the run was still fairly short, we had free gym to play basketball or whatever in the remaining time. At the end of the running section, we were all fit enough that we were capable of handling the other sports. It was also a great accomplishment for many people to be able to say they ran for 36 minutes, made them feel better about themselves and made them want to get the most out of the rest of the class as well. It was only required for one year in high school, whichever year you wanted to put it in, but the other two years you were required to participate in at least 2 varsity or intramural sports through the year.<P>On top of the daily PE classes, I spent 25 min in the weight room after school before heading off to either a dance team practice in the school theater or one of many classes at my studio. We couldn't use dance as an alternative to PE, except for those precious weeks when I had torn ligaments so badly dancing that the PE teachers caved and let me sit out. They didn't know I was still going to dance classes 4 days/week.<P>In university, there is no required physical activity of any sort. Campus is built on a hill though Image I find many people are purchasing memberships to the gym and fitness centers on campus, people I wouldn't have expected to see working out before. I still hang out mostly at the dance studio, and we are located in a YMCA so I have all the fitness equipment and swimming pools I need right there.<P>My sister is 3 years younger and she has had a totally different PE experience. They are forced to participate in such nonsense as soccer baseball and touch football 5 days/week. They learn nothing, have no written tests, don't play any real sports that you could maybe compete in. If they want organized volleyball or basketball or soccer, they have to be good enough to make the varsity team. But how do they get good enough if they've never played it and don't know the rules?? She decided on field hockey and excells at it, just luck and natural talent I guess because she was never taught in class.<P>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:37 am 

PE was the most miserable, traumatising experience in school. I excelled academically, and was a model student, but I dreaded PE so much I had a stomachache just thinking about it.<P>There are many potentially positive things about PE: it introduces students to sports that they may not otherwise consider or have access to, and it should introduce them to the importance of fitness.<P>In my school, there was nothing positive at all. I was perfectly at home with a tennis racket, in a swimming pool, or on a dance floor. What was the point of getting picked last in netball or hockey, getting bonked with a volleyball, tripping over hurdles or dying in the 1500m year in and year out? I knew I hated all of the above from year 1, they will never play a part in my future.<P>I read an article on cnn.com recently that some schools are incorporating things like training in the gym, making PE a base for long-term health and fitness. I think for the average student, this is far more valuable. <P>Students should have a choice of sports in PE from an earlier age. By all means, introduce them to a variety of sports/martial arts/dance while they are young, but schools shouldn't humiliate the weaker kids in sports they obviously hate. Rather they should let them concentrate on the ones they enjoy or excel at.<P>All very idealistic I know - who's gonna pay for it all?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 8:12 pm 

Down here in the good old land of Oz, things sure are different!!!<BR>PE?? hmmmm, oh i remember what that is now, back in primary school, it was pretty pointless, but it was fun, and hey we still had our 20 minute recess and half hour lunch to do what we liked. PE consisted mainly of t-ball, tennis, hockey and then later in the year training for the athletics carnnival. we also had a sports shed where all the equipment was stored and at recess you were allowed to borrow whatever you liked (all names and classrooms were recorded!!) and play with it. Pretty cool huh!<BR>There were no fitness tests or written tests, it was all based on participation, and as kids who doesn't love getting to run aroung outdoors acting all crazy like, oh wait, i still like to do that...<BR>Then came high school, and i decided to pursue my dancing at a performing arts school, and as dance students we didn't have to do PE, he he he, YES!!! Because from all acounts the rest of the school hated it and envied us.But we couldn't run the risk of injuring ourselves with those rough and tough boys!! instead we got an extra 3 periods of dance.<BR>But there still wasn't tests to speak of, participation was the main thing, and there was definetly no early morning starts for the PE kids, that was left to us dance kids, but we donn't mind,8 o'clocks not that early.<BR>Then in yr11 they decided we had to do sport as well, but it wasn't PE, it was more like phys rec. We got to chose what we wanted to do, bowling, the beach, pot black, we did yoga for awhile - that was cool! Then we hit on a great idea, you see we just wrote our name on the roll of whichever sport we wanted to do that term, so if we didn't put our name on a roll, we didn't have to go!! Tuesday periods 5&6 where then spent in town eating pasta and drinking coffee, better than bowling in any case!<BR>Then this year we don't have time for PE, its not a choice, its just not there for yr 12 students, we still have dance, and there outdoor ed as an elective - but who has time for an elective!!!<P>And whats this i hear about lockers!!! u guys get lockers!!! and showers!! wow this is just too much, u mean i don't have to lugg all my books to every class if i come to america, wicked!! We did have lockers once, in yr8, but anything left was gone when u came back,even maths books! much safer in your backpack. And u mean we don't have to walk around all smelly and sweaty after dance class!! But i'm not sure about the whole no curtin thing, plus it would cut into dance time, i guess at a performing arts school ppl don't notice those kind of things after awhile. And who was bagging out home lunches!!! i always bring my lunch from home, its got to be better than lining up for that canteen food, plus we don't have a caferteria, and we all eat at the same time, and we still have a 20min recess and half hour lunch, plus i'm not the only one to bring lunch from home, its the done thing!<P>So i'm not sure if PE is really good or bad, i definently think there needs to be a class where we don't have to sit in a chair. I'm thinking the yoga and meditation class was good - we got to sleep in the middle of the day Image<P>Just a thought, does anyone else find it amusing that for all the arguments in favour of PE and activity, they are being argued by people sitting down, in front of a computer screen, where the only activity happening is that of the fingers and brain. I can see the weights just dropping of my fingers! i'm a lean, mean, finger machine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 5:09 am 

A report says it all:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>US Schools Skimp on Physical Education: Survey<P>Suzanne Rostler, Reuters on Yahoo! News<P>NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - States and local school districts could play a more active role in promoting physical fitness and curbing obesity among the nation's youth, a new survey concludes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011010/hl/education_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:52 am 

From the Contra Costa Times,

Quote:
Music programs improve learning
FOR 10-YEAR-OLD Caroline Umali, learning how to play the piano at age 4, and more recently the clarinet, helped her in classes such as English at Kensington Elementary School.
Click for more

Profile E-mail