public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kirov & Rev. Moon - 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:07 am 

TO BEK -<P>I am intrigued as to your lengthy opinion on the Kirov as seen from your student's eyes (it's on last year's posts regarding the topic). Could I get your email address and perhaps speak to you about posting this on a website? It would be most helpful!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:08 am 

His interest began when he picked a bride for his (deceased) son.<P>He picked Julia Moon.<P>She is the Principal Ballerina for Universal Ballet. And his daughter in law (after the fact).

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:16 am 

Here's the link to the previews and reviews for Universal Ballet's performances in London last year.

Overall opinions varied from seen worse to good. Julia Moon and Lali Kandalaki would not look out of place in more well known companies.

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000480

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 11:02: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:51 am 

Here is a good contact for anybody that is REALLy interested in getting the "latest scoop" on Moon.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.unification.net/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.unification.net/</A> <P>Note Damian Andersons contact info.<P>I first encountered his posts on the alt.arts.religion(s) newsgroups. This is back before there WAS a Danceart.com or a Criticaldance. My daughter was just a "kinderdancer" back then. I just hung out around the religious newsgroups. But I heard lots of buzz at the ballet school about Universal Ballet Academy. And I encountered lots of buzz about Moon and Julia Moon on the alt groups. So for FUTURE reference I contacted him. He'll answer you. <P>He'll tell you straight off that he is not a spokesperson for the Ballet or the School. Just the Church. But he'll give you any info you want on WHO to contact there.<P>Back THEN the questions that he fielded most OFTEN on the alts groups were "what was Julia's name when she was trained in Russia? (I forget the answer) and "is she free to marry a live guy, since Moon married her to a dead one?" (I forget the answer).<P>I know that Philip seemed to think she MUST have since when he encountered her she had a child. But I believe that child was brought to her posthumous marriage WITH her.<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 05, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:45 pm 

Bree-thanks for Joan Karlen e-mail...cool!<BR>This Moon thing gets funkier by the minute. What kind of tax status do they have...religious, non-profit, charitable, arts education...WHAT!??????? I only ask because I'm writing a grant now for an arts education/outreach grant, and one has to be very careful about allocation of funds, tax status--the IRS is not real "flexible" when it comes to these things.<BR>Also, yes..it IS weird that they just "bought" the company lock, stock and barrel. Where do they get their endless funds from-- a al Jimmy Swaggart, television evangelism type thing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:59 pm 

Trina he didn't buy the Kirov in RUSSIA or the Vaganova Choreographic Institute.<P>He just bought the rights to "trade as" the "Kirov Academy" in Washington, DC.<P>In the US you can be "Incorporated" as XYZ Enterprises, and "TRADE AS" Joe's Expert Upholstery Co."<P>There IS no Kirov Academy in Russia, I don't believe.<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 05, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:17 pm 

Bree -- I just wanted to say, off the thread so to speak, that I danced years ago with a beautiful girl who went to school at Stevens Point. Her name was Patti Jacobs, after marriage Patti Loftin. While she was a student there, she became Miss Wisconsin at the age of 18. I did not meet her until about 5 years later when we were both 23 and everyone thought "those two are as different as night and day -- they'll never get on together." Instead, we became roomies on the road and had a fantastic friendship, largely due to her great sense of humor about herself. She was so low key about her early pageant reign. At that point, she was just a struggling and somewhat lonely model in Chicago, where her husband worked. When she showed me her book of modeling and ballet shots, I literally drooled and made her show everyone else in the troupe (she had just returned after several years and these new people didn't know much about her). She was so appreciative of our collective drooling. It always happens that way -- some of the most gorgeous, talented people have the most modest perspectives of themselves. I wonder if people up at Stevens Point still remember this wonderful dancer and girl.