public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's Eating the Dance World? Esp. New York
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 5:41 am 

Azlan will correct me if I'm wrong, but in the SF area there are very few modern dance companies that are not supported by those involved having day jobs to finance their art, rather as our Marie does.<P>While it is common for European dancers to do some casual work in the evenings. The day is usually available to focus their energy and creativity on dance.<P>I think life for modern dancers is tough everywhere, but tougher in the US. With the rising costs of property in many areas and the halving of the NEA budget a few years ago it has got tougher. In the UK it's generally getting easier with increased grants and subsidised rehearsal spaces.<P>I suspect that these problems are exacerbated in New York. I remain unsurprised by the thrust of the articles.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 6:08 am 

Stuart, when I lived in NY (for 8 yrs), dancers/choreographers financed their work one of several ways: trust fund or family money, public funding (very paltry even then in the 80's, and not enough to do much with), or had a rich spouse who was willing to fund them. Scraping enough money together to do one show and hope somebody will notice, is the modus operandi of many choreographers. I have a friend from the old days who STILL lives in NY (over 20 years!!) and she says that it's mostly folks who have trust funds who are able to produce dance work there now. She is no longer in the field of dance, by the way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 6:52 am 

As for women in modern dance choreographing, we have several here in San Diego who have been creating and dancing for many, many years:<P>Pat Sandback<BR>Betzi Roe<BR>Jean Isaacs<BR>Nancy McCaleb<BR>Ellen Segal (former Martha Graham dancer)<P>I have been in class with all of the above. They are all hard working, dedicated artists any city would be proud to have.<P>and I know there are more .......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 10:43 am 

It's happening in Boston too:

Quote:
An exodus of artists: Hub's creative commmunity can no longer afford to live in neighborhoods they built

Mary Jo Palumbo, Boston Herald

On April 16, as runners in the Boston Marathon lumbered by a few feet from her doorstep, choreographer Adrienne Hawkins closed her Massachusetts Avenue dance studio after nine years.
This link is now broken

<small>[ 02 February 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:29 pm 

This is very scary....and depressing. Adrienne Hawkins is an "institution" in the Boston dance community. In fact, I just saw her featured in some magazine article--Dance Magazine, something or other. When I went to Harvard Summer Dance School a zillion years ago, I was aware of her even then. Artists are finding in nigh impossible to survive in a cuthroat real estate climate. Example: I remember when Soho (New York, not London, smile) was a off-the-beaten track neighborhood, with warehouses and a few renegade artists living illegally in lofts...now it's designer restaurants, stores that sell leather pants and belts and a place where only the wealthy can afford to live.....sighhhhhhhh!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited April 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 5:41 pm 

Could it be said that what we are seeing in the dance world vis a vis high real estate/rental prices affecting others too, not just dance? Could be.<P>What is happening in the cities that real estate prices seem to be going so high? Is it the cycle of people coming back to the cities - the cores of the cities - that were once abandoned? That is certainly what has happened in San Diego. The Gas Lamp District is a good example. <P>One of the things that I know has affected some studios in the downtown area here is the lack of parking. If one comes downtown to shop or eat, parking can be validated by the merchant. But this is not true for the dance spaces. And, dancers need to park for several hours at a time. Yes, I know we can take public transit - but this is Southern California - and for most people it's not an option. It should be, but it's not.<P>So while we might celebrate the rebirth of the city cores, we are displacing the low (relatively) cost space artists use.<P>But, not all artists have suffered because of this. We have some very nice pottery and sculpture galleries that have blossomed, because they really just need a storefront. They profit from the increased pedestrian traffic, tourism. Dancers and musicians have profitted from some performing opportunities downtown in the restaurants, cabarets, flamenco, jazz, etc.<P>Some dance spaces that were downtown have moved to other places in the city - mostly to their benefit. <P>Maybe we are seeing a shift in housing/use patterns in the cities and this is reflected in the prices.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 6:29 pm 

Oh - I should clarify that I don't dispute the facts of reduced dance funding and the rest of the bag of malaise which is in discussion here. In reading back over this thread a bit it occurred to me I had only stated how these articles didn't hit home for me, without adequately acknowledging the truth in them too. Dance has just been so exciting for me and my friends lately it's hard to see past the blinding light... <P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 9:13 pm 

Priscilla, I hope we're not totally bumming you out! lol!! I remember when I was fresh out of undergrad school (a few centuries ago ...lol), a mentor and idol of mine in dance referred once to this "crazy field" of dance; I was so "shocked" and told him how cynical I thought he was....hahha!! Now I;m on the other side of the fence; looking back "through the looking glass" so to speak. I have to say, after all is said and done, I can't imagine having done anything different..I wouldn't have have REALLY wanted to do anything else. But dance, I mean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 4:38 am 

<B>DCA Diced 62%: Mayor Again Slashes Arts Program Grants</B> <P>By Roger Armbrust in Backstage<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has continued his financial assault on not-for-profit arts programs, proposing that grants be slashed by nearly 62% overall, with theatre and dance companies suffering higher cuts. The mayor's 2002 executive budget calls for chopping funding for 214 nonprofit arts programs from $24 million, approved last year by the City Council, to $9.2 million. The city Independent Budget Office (IBO) provided Back Stage with a proposed budget list for individual programs and cultural facilities. It showed most theatre and dance groups receiving funding drops of 72%.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.backstage.com/backstage/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=856232" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 03, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 1:38 am 

An additional quote from Mayor Guiliani:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"The reductions to cultural institutions and program groups will require these organizations to diversify and strengthen their funding streams. In the process of raising additional private funds, these organizations will become stronger by becoming more self-reliant."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I'd like to hear from those who have a better understanding than me of the NY dance scene on the likely effect of these changes. My guess would be:<P>- a number of companies will disappear<BR>- those that survive will have reduced circumstances and be forced to pay their dancers less<BR>- cost-cutting will impact on conditions for dancers eg rehearsal on unsuitable floors in buildings with minimal facilities; reduction in whatever medical care might have been provided<BR>- smaller venues closing through lack of suitable product<P>I find his words above to be cynical in the extreme for two reasons:<P>- If you wanted to strengthen organisations and encourage private sponsorship then a tapered grant reduction programme, perhaps with training grants in marketing, would be one way to do it. 72% grant reductions in 1 year is not the way.<BR>- Some of the large arts organisations in NY are actually seing an increase in their grants. These are exactly the 'big arts' who can attract the 'society kudos' money. <BR>- Frankly, killing off a series of small arts organisations is never going to lose a politician many votes. Cuts that would close major institutions, who have powerful friends and media contacts, could be damaging.<P>This seems like a key event and potential catastrophe for the Arts in NY and could have repercussions further afield. It may be impossible to keep political policies out of any discussions, but where it is introduced it would be beneficial if it was done in a focussed rather than a scattergun way.<P>Can anyone provide Mayor Guiliani's e-mail address? I would like to send him a protest e-mail on this issue.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 2:54 am 

There's an online form to email Mayor Giuliani <A HREF="http://www.ny.com/nyc-cgi-bin/frame?url=http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/om/home.html&frame=/frame/history.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.<P>It also has his postal address and phone numbers for voice and fax messages.<P>Be sure to compliment him for making the trains run on time.<P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 10:26 am 

Oyyyyy! The sad thing is , apparently Mayor Guiliani is a rabid opera fan. You would think he would have more empathy in this situation!!! New York City is booming financially, at least it has been in recent years. When I was back there a couple of years ago, tourist dollars were flowing freely. Don't they realize that an investment in artists/non-profits are an investment in the total economy? Duh..this is a no-brainer. I am definelty going to send this form in to Giuliani!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:01 am 

From the New York Times:<P><B>Benefit for Homer Avila: Daredevil Moves in a Plea for Health Coverage</B><P>By JENNIFER DUNNING <BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Life is not about how you go down but about how you get up, Twyla Tharp said in a brief speech on Sunday afternoon at the Danspace Project at St. Mark's Church. Then she strode over to embrace Homer Avila, who sat in the front row, his purple plastic crutches propped jauntily beside him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/06/arts/06AVIL.html?searchpv=nytToday" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 08, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 6:00 am 

This is an important and worthwhile cause. Good to see that the dance community is drawing together to highlight this issue of health care for dancers. And so glad that Twyla is participating!!! Stories like this, although so sad, also are inspiring, in some ways!!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited June 08, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:10 am 

<B>DCA Budget Cut $20M</B><BR>By Roger Armbrust from Backstage.com<P> <BR>Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's $766 million in cuts to city agencies includes a $20.8 million slash to the Department of Cultural Affairs. A part of the DCA paring includes a 25% gash in program monies and a 14-19% hacking of cultural institutions funding for FY02, i.e., the current fiscal year.<P>Giuliani announced last week a total $1.3 billion modification to the city's budget, calling for a 15% cut for almost all agencies except police, fire, and the Board of Education.<P><A HREF="http://www.backstage.com/backstage/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1194861" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail