public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's Eating the Dance World? Esp. New York
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:45 pm 

An interesting article on choreographers looking beyond NY in a panel discussion on The State of the Art of Dance:

Quote:
Choreographers make a case for spreading their wings

Wilma Salisbury, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dance companies and choreographers across America yearn to show their work in New York City, the dance capital of the world. Hundreds of New York dance artists share the same goal. But they also long for bookings outside the Big Apple.
<a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1044095808166250.xml target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:05 pm 

Keefe - "It's not the responsibility of dance companies to be accessible".

Hmm - that seems like a pretty hazardous statement. I understand that the audience has a responsibility to try to engage a work, but I think that a dance COMPANY has a responsibility to be accessible, at least if survival is a goal.
Also, part of 6this article shifts toe burden on to the PRESENTER as opposed to the dancer for this accessibility. :confused:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:38 am 

And there's this:

"In Peterson's view, it is the presenter's responsibility to build bridges between dance artists and audiences. "The artist follows her vision," she said. "The presenter acts as intervener and provides linkages."

That lays the entire *artistic* responsibility for reaching people (if indeed that's what someone wants to do) on the organization presenting the dance. Does that mean this person believes that the artist has no responsibility to reach the audience but simply should do what they do and let someone else worry about it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:36 am 

librarian,

One could argue that Diaghilev's Ballets Russe worked exactly like that at its peak.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:51 am 

Does that mean that an artist has no task or responsibility to making his/her work reachable or understandable? Or even accessible, though I'm not crazy about the work? That's really more what I meant, though I think the article was saying (at least to me) more something like that it was the artist who just did his/her thing and the presenter had to find a way to make it reachable if it wasn't. I have to confess that this sort of thing gives me a headache. (I mean the semantics of it, not deep thoughts on profound work or anything else).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:28 am 

An interesting piece with an experienced choreographer about the acute problems facing dance makers in a number of countries

Interview with Rosie Kay
From Article 19

Rosie Kay is a professional choreographer living and working in the Midlands. She has won numerous awards for choreography and performance. Rosie is currently creating a new duet for performance later this year.

How does the work you have done overseas compare to your experiences in the UK?

In Poland a huge difference for me was in the status of the artist in society.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:07 am 

Quote:
How New York Lost Its Modern Dance Reign
by GIA KOURLAS for the New York Times

The point is not to declare a new capital - there isn't one - but to recognize that there has been a shift in the power base since the formation of the European Union, where the creative landscapes in Amsterdam and Bucharest are just as vital as those brewing in Berlin, Brussels, Paris and Vienna. If nothing else, the European Union has cultivated a network of artists with no perceptible center of bureaucratic power.

published: September 6, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail