public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Impact of AIDS on the Arts
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:41 am 

Are we any better twenty years hence?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>AIDS AT 20 <BR>Crisis has sapped artists of energy <BR>For some, passion has given way to caution</B><P>Edward Guthmann, SF Chronicle<P>In the mid-1980s, when it became clear what a huge impact AIDS was having on the nation's arts communities, a number of publications illustrated the devastation with rows of photographs of felled artists.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/06/03/PK35104.DTL" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Impact of AIDS on the Arts
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:43 am 

Other AIDS related threads on Critical-Dance:

"Dances From the Heart," a Dance Benefit for Aids

Montreal Aids Benefit

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 09:35: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:53 am 

An excerpt from a Knight Ridder article on AIDS in the arts:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Still/Here" (1994): After discovering that he was HIV-positive, Bill T. Jones traveled around the country meeting with others who faced life-threatening illnesses. "What do you know that I don't know?" he asked, and then crafted their feelings and experiences into this multimedia dance -- which was not only a landmark piece about death and dying, but also sparked a cultural war.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/perform/stories/x10aids_20010610.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:09 am 

In my life experience, AIDS has had a catastrophic effect. I can name about 10 world class dancers, off the top of my head, who have died of AIDS. A friend here in Seattle, who danced in Ailey co, said when he left NYC to move back here, he threw out his address book--most of the people in it were dead...unbelievable. There is an excellent movie (there are others, I'm sure) you can rent on video called "Longtime Companion". It came out in early 90's, I think. About a group of friends in NYC who lived (and died) during the early days of the AIDS crisis. A good book also, "And the Band Played On". I can remember back when the NY Times (before we knew about AIDS) called it the "gay cancer". This is when kaposi sarcoma (skin lesions) were the only visible, common symptoms that folks had...hence the name "gay cancer".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 9:09 am 

Yes, Trina, Randy Shilts's "And the Band Played On" is incredible for its in-depth research but -- dare I say this -- Dominique Lapierre's "Beyond Love," also well-researched, is a much better written book that goes beyond the facts into the hearts and minds of the individuals involved and exposes some of the controversies surrounding the discovery of the virus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 9:31 am 

Every male partner I ever had, except one, has died. And this one is HIV positive.<P>The first one died well back in the early 80's - we really didn't even know what it was at that time. And he was such a lovable guy - witty, a great teacher. It was a horror to watch him very quickly go from dancing to barely being able to crawl.<P>Rest in peace, Jamie McArdle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:27 pm 

As a reminder that AIDS does not discriminate, the dancer in my company we lost to AIDS was female.<P>And not to deliver a sermon, but a reminder in the midst of tremendous optimism about AIDS that we do not yet have a vaccine or a cure and protease inhibitors are not a cure. Don't abandon safer sex. <P>Sorry for being off-topic, it's on my mind. I'm making the food for a memorial ceremony on Tuesday. A young man and a dancer, he died in uncertain cirucmstances, though AIDS was ruled out. First it was pneumonia, then Legionnaire's disease, then the doctors just didn't know and it was over in two weeks. It's like going back in time to 1980 when people were dying of a disease that did not even have a name. We know so much and we still know so little.

Profile E-mail