public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi-Media and the Arts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 8:34 pm 
Now that we have single-handedly solved every imagineable problem facing the dance biz, I would like to address the usually abominable fashion in which music and dance are treated in the movies and the fashion press. Everything from Turning Point to Dancers to Center Stage - awful. Reinforces all the old negative stereotypes and puts lines in dancers mouths that no self-respecting dancer in their right mind would say. Don’t these actors have any script control? Had certain hopes for Center Stage because Sascha Radetzky is a dear old friend. But the Red Shoes - now a cult film made some 50-odd years ago - well, it’s just unrealistic. And we have to wonder why Mr. Public (and even some posters on this very site) has/have this skewed opinion of the dance world...? (Surprisingly, the ballet videos are not bad). However, same applies to novels which address the ballet world. Are there any good ones? Ditto the music films: Mahler, Lisztomania, Immor(t)al Beloved, The Music Lovers, Song to Remember, Song of Love, Song without End - good grief--pure, ridiculous fiction. Saving grace: the music was usually good. The Italians, the Irish, the Afro-Americans and our Jewish friends have an anti-defamation league - I think we need one for the arts...<P><BR>[This message has been edited by Auntie (edited July 08, 2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by Auntie (edited July 08, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by Auntie (edited July 08, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Multi-Media and the Arts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 10:09 pm 

Good topic, Auntie.<P>I think this is a pretty broad-based issue that goes beyond the arts. Hollywood is infamous for distorting facts to fit a script. I recall a friend having trouble following a movie... even though it was based on her life!!! In Vertigo, Hitchcock rearranged the geography of the SF Bay Area. And since when do vice cops have enough money to buy expensive sports cars?<P>Also, movies for the most part represent escapism for many, with its fantastical tales and make-believe reality. This is fine. The problem however is that movies aren't honest about what's real and what's not. It's scary when you have presidents quoting characters from movies as if they were real people. I love those ads that say, "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV." They're required by law to be honest.<P>What do our members think? Does Auntie have something here? Is it possible for the dance community to have a media watchdog to protect itself?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 09, 2001).]

Profile E-mail