public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Graham Company: Changing Steps
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 12:23 pm 

There has been a recess until Monday the 16th, to allow for discovery.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 12:41 pm 

I agree with Trina's point of view about being respectful to the individuals who post here. Who is TMDELL and what ax to grind does she/hehave about all of this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 2:46 am 

Hi TimothyC! To be fair, tmdell has been up front about who he is and his perspective on this issue from his first post in June 2000. It is deep in another topic so it's unlikely that you will have come across it. I reproduce it here:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Having served as the Graham Company and School's Managing/Executive Director for over three years until my eventual departure February 25, I have a comprehensive, albeit tragic, overview of the myriad struggles which have faced and continue to face the Graham legacy. Having worked closely with Ron Protas on what seemed to have been a committed, major step forward toward a new, viable institution, it is very clear where the "ground zero" issues lay. Indeed, as some have pointed out, the latest actions were long in coming. What I had once hoped had been a heroic and determined effort - on the part of all of us who struggled through the last three years (and,of course much earlier for others) - toward what we all hoped and knew could be if certain elements would only truly change - only proved to be another casualty on the tragic battlefield of the Graham legacy. Would that there were enough individuals and enough money and power out there to wage the battle that truly must be fought if the Graham legacy is to have any hope of eventually being free to thrive as it should. My heart and soul goes out to the dancers, the students and the staff who truly were valiant. And, most certainly, to Terese Capucilli and Christine Dakin and other devotees who, out of their passion, their "blood memory", were the true carriers of the artistic torch - the ones who were really responsible for keeping the integrity of the company high. There must be no doubt. And now, to anyone resolute enough, join in the fight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 10:05 am 

Yes, there was another thread on this issue where several "introductions" and initial points were made:

MARTHA GRAHAM COMPANY THREAD

"TMDell" is quoted in both the NY Times as well as Joan Acocella's article in The New Yorker.

[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited April 14, 2001).]

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 09:26: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 8:23 am 

The Gunfight at the OK Corral (otherwise known as the Graham hearing) resumed on Monday. Paul Ben-Itzak Editor of Dance Insider continues his excellent work on reporting the confrontation and believes he sees some signs of the way the trial is going.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"It strikes me," pointed out the judge, with a sidelong glance at Protas, "(that) we've had a great deal of hearsay in this trial, especially as to the statements of Martha Graham."....<P>As to whether the Graham School will lose its right to use the name Martha Graham and the term Martha Graham technique, the judge seemed to offer some hope in yesterday's concluding remarks.<P>"Plaintiff wants to show infringement that warrants an injunction," she observed, and "that I should direct the school and center to stop using the name -- a very extreme remedy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com/f2001/f417.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 12:08 pm 

Paul Ben-Itzak continues his excellent coverage with a review of Tuesday's proceedings. Some critical material has been put to the court which seems to throw great doubt on what exactly Ron Protas has in fact inherited and the suggestion of whether he had ever done enough to identify the extent of the legacy. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"The new corporation purchased on 12/1/56 the existing school of dance which Martha Graham had been carrying on. The corporation agreed to pay Ms. Graham $50,000, and Ms. Graham agreed not to permit the use of her name...in connection with any other school or company."<P>--Louis Goodkind, attorney for the Martha Graham Foundation, in a 1957 letter to the Internal Revenue Service<P>"This is a tremendous New York City-based institution [the Graham Center and School] that we believe is the true owner of the rights."<P>--Marla Simpson, assistant attorney general, the State of New York<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Judge continues to appear receptive to the arguments for the Center and to give the lawyers representing Protas a hard time. Some key unsigned documents were deemed admissable against the arguments of the Protas team. The Judge pointed out that they may not be perfect, but they were the best evidence available.<P><A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com/f2001/f418.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:29 pm 

Back from India, already looking into going back soon, probably teaching.<BR>I just came across this link: <A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com/f2001/f424_1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danceinsider.com/f2001/f424_1.html</A> <P>Good writting for sure!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:34 pm 

Glad to hear from you Tadej! Make sure to post in Other Dance about any hot Bharatanatyam or anything you see in India. I couldn't have spelled that right, could I?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:44 am 

Hooray for Graham... read the wonderful review of the anniversary performance at <A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com" TARGET=_blank>www.danceinsider.com</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com/f2001/f601_1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danceinsider.com/f2001/f601_1.html</A> <P>this made me absolutely elated - especially reading about our beautiful Jennifer Conley's 'Harmonica Breakdown' performance - and lovely remarks about Yuko Suzuki - Stuart Hodes coparing her to a young Yuriko<P>how absolutely brilliant - i wish i could have been there, but i will continue to root them on from the mountains of Frostburg, Maryland

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:17 pm 

Thanks mrs M for the link to Paul's fine review. It certainly is cheering to read about the Graham Company dancers performimg high quality work from the back catalogue, even if it is sans Graham.<P>I am priviled to have seen 'Harmonica Breakdown' performed by a charismatic UK dancer Sheron Wray. Jane Dudley was in the audience to see her performance in 2000 and I'm sure she was as delighted as we were. It stands the test of time wonderfully well. <P>Jane Dudley, who danced with the Graham Company in the early days and became an important teacher of the technique in the US and then in the UK is a signatory of the petition in support of the Company dancers in their campaign to preserve the Graham heritage. Fingers and everything else crossed as we await the court decision. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 6:21 pm 

Hi all. <BR>It was truly amazing, seeing young (next) generation of Graham dancers as well as many Graham former stars all dancing together.<BR>The junior company (Martha Graham Ensamble) danced extremely well. They gave a staged "act of light" like technique demonstration, which reaffirmed my believe that Graham technique is transferred beautifully to the new generation and is here to stay!<BR>Really inspiring,.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:24 pm 

Anyway have an update on this situation?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 10:56 pm 

As far as I know we are still in the phase where the two sides had to provide written submissions to the Judge fo her to review. It has been quiet for longer than I anticipated though.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7