public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Seating
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 2:27 pm 

Some may consider this kind of petty but the National Ballet of Canada rescinded its subscriber standby seating policy for weekend performances (Feb 24-25) of Swan Lake. Ticket sales were more brisk than usual hence they wanted to make more tickets available to the public. Not surprising considering there was one less performance for Swan Lake compared to its debut 2 years ago. <P>Subscribers are already limited to sitting in the wings for leftover tickets. No mention is made of this in their advertising for the Standby Seating. It used to be "best available." For the weekend in question, subscribers who waited in the cold for tickets were informed at the box office of the change. The only tickets available for $25 were back row seats. One would think they could have posted a notice at the box office instead of surprising loyal subscribers with the news. <P>The ticket policy is kind of a joke because many fans move into empty seats for the 2nd act of a ballet. There is virtually no policing of seats at the Hummingbird Centre. Volunteers, students of the National Ballet School and employees of the NBoC often occupy empty seats. I would hope they take care to ensure these seats will be unoccupied. What if a fan turns up for the 2nd act or arrives late?<BR><P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet Seating
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 10:06 pm 

Petipa, I'm surprised you need seats, watching from heaven.<P>It is common policy in most theaters in North America I believe to offer standing room tickets. Just before curtain time, the ushers will allow standing room ticket holders to take any available seats in the house, with the understanding of course that the seats will have to be given up if the rightful owners show up.<P>This sometimes actually happens to me. I am notorious for sometimes skipping a bad first piece in a mixed bill, showing up only after the first intermission and having to ask the person to vacate my seat after thanking them for warming it up for me. It just happened to me and my significant other at SFB Saturday night actually. Thankfully, the usher did the pleasantries for us this time.

Profile E-mail