public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: One more view on l'affaire Glasco
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 9:30 am 

I've reduced the link to its bare URL:<P> <A HREF="http://archives.theglobeandmail.com/s97is.vts?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2Fhome6%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fgam%2Fsearch%2Fhtml%2F20000704%2FCOWENT04%2Ehtml" TARGET=_blank>The Globe and Mail Glasco link</A> <P>From the headlines, "The Glasco fiasco (Act XVII) In which the National Ballet's belligerent ballerina triumphs in court, but loses friends."<P>Thanks, dirk, for this one.<P><BR>Stuart has put the link into a more manageable form.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 05, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 4:59 pm 

interesting article, dirk, about an "overlawyered" situation. thanks very much for this link, which i enjoyed reading.<P>here's a bit of info that was new to me: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The ballet's insurance company got uneasy about liability and mounting costs. Over the board's objections, it<BR>offered Ms. Glasco a year's salary to dance at any company in the world that would have her, plus a $500,000<BR>settlement.<P>She turned it down.<P>To be sure, some of the dancers think Ms. Glasco has for quite a while held an exaggerated view of her own<BR>talents and entitlements. They agree with Mr. Kudelka that she is a dancer of limited gifts. She can do the<BR>classics beautifully, they say, but some of the current repertoire is beyond her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 5:39 pm 

Whoa! Those are pretty harsh comments about Glasco's perception of her own talents.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 6:16 am 

dirk, i agree that the personalities and the case can be thought of as two separate (but of course intertwined) things.<P>i think some of the 'allegations' in wente's article - ESPECIALLY the one you brought up about partners- need some context to be assessed. <P>principal dancers need partners they are comfortable with - that doesn't mean they always get what they want - but THIS 'allegation', in my view, is NOT an unreasonable - or even an unusual 'demand'.<P>i still find the most baffling thing of all is that they renewed kudelka's contract....even if they believed what he did was right, so much damage has been done. i'm the first person to stand up for a principle, but there are now other principles at stake, besides his right to direct as he saw fit.<P>one of the world's major companies has been monstrously damaged ....still, i suppose this IS how changes in attitudes and in policies and the law are forged - at considerable expense and with much controversy...we'll have to wait and see, on that one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 7:05 pm 

Dear Dirk:<P>I wish you would have taken the time to enjoy my prose which, by the way, can be found in abundance all over Criticaldance! If so, you would never in a zillion years write that Margaret Wente is objective and the Globe & Mail’s “sanest columnist.” She is neither.<P>After reading the below, I’m sure you’ll come to your senses and jump on the Kimberly Glasco bandwagon with me. Of course, you will be sitting in the back. I’m doing the driving here! <P>Margaret Wente conveniently left out some facts—proven in court—when she scribbled the following:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “The dancers are also dismayed by a letter written by Betty Oliphant that got big play in another newspaper a couple of weeks ago. In it, Ms. Oliphant, the legendary founder of the National Ballet School, claimed to know the true facts about Ms. Glasco's cruel dismissal for crossing Mr. Kudelka. And she wrote that Ms. Glasco deserves to dance for many more years.<P>The chairman of the ballet's board, Henry Pankratz, disputes Ms. Oliphant's version, which is identical to Ms. Glasco's. More he will not say, because matters are still in litigation.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Below is a passage from Betty Oliphant’s letter to the National Post:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “Here's what happened: Kim Glasco was one of two dancers on the National Ballet's board of directors. She suggested to the board that it might be wise to postpone the proposed new version of Swan Lake, a version that James Kudelka wished to choreograph at a cost of more than $1.5-million. Kim had valid reasons for suggesting this. She had witnessed dancers being laid off -- the company's roster of 73 dancers had by then been reduced to 45 -- and as well, the National Ballet was already facing a daunting deficit.<P>Immediately after the board's meeting, James took Kim to his office and told her abruptly that her contract would not be renewed. It took him less than 10 minutes. And this to a principal dancer with 20 years' service to the company. Here is where the confusion began. Realizing that Kudelka's action could not be justified, the board issued a statement claiming that Kim had not mentioned Swan Lake at the meeting. Their lawyers have since admitted in court that this was untrue.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Below is a passage from my posting to Criticaldance: “Martha Graham was oh so right! Movement never lies.”<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The National Ballet of Canada moves more truthfully than it speaks. I wish I could take credit for those words of wisdom but they belong to the late Antony Tudor—in the context of man of course. Below is a spoonful of truth for the NBoC. Open wide! Of course, that’s much easier written than done. You’d have better luck feeding a pill to a member of the feline race! Below is a passage from arbitrator Christopher Albertyn’s interim award to Kimberly Glasco lifted verbatim courtesy of <A HREF="http://www.kim-glasco.com." TARGET=_blank>www.kim-glasco.com.</A> <P>“When Ms. Glasco received notice of the non-renewal of her contract and her dispute was made public, Ballet spokespersons took the position that Ms. Glasco never raised financial concerns or the Swan Lake production with the board. For example, Ms. Wilder, the Ballet’s Executive Director, interviewed on January 5, 1999 on a radio program, ‘This Morning,’ broadcast by public radio throughout Canada by the CBC, said the following: ‘Ms. Glasco never did speak up at a board meeting, ever... The minutes will show it. Her claims are absolutely incorrect. In fact, they are baffling, quite honestly. She not only had never spoken up about our new production of Swan Lake, she never spoke up about fiscal responsibility or any such topic.’<P>The same position was advanced by the Ballet in an article in which Ms. Wilder was quoted in the Toronto Star, on January 7, 1999, and, on January 11, 1999, on the television program, ‘The National’, which is broadcast throughout Canada by the CBC. (This can be viewed in its entirety at <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca." TARGET=_blank>www.infoculture.cbc.ca.</A> Click on ‘Dance,’ ‘James Kudelka renews contract’ and then scroll down to ‘Brawl at the Ballet’ and click on it. During the interview Wilder said: ‘She (Glasco) never did speak out at a board meeting.’)<P>The position adopted by the Ballet was erroneous, and it appears that the Ballet has not publicly acknowledged the error. From a reading of the minutes it is clear that Ms. Glasco did raise these matters at two board meetings, as described.”<P>In a conversation with me (the author of the below ‘Dance Ballerina Dance,’) Allen Marple, former Chairman of the ballet’s Board of Directors, had the following to say about Glasco’s claims: “...she said she was fired because she spoke out at board meetings: well she did not! I can tell you precisely what she said in October which was: ‘Weren’t our reviews in New York marvelous!’ ...And then in December she said: ‘Didn’t we do La Bayadère beautifully!’ Which is, of course, patting herself on the back! She did do a good job. There’s no question about that.” <P>The above report from arbitrator Christopher Albertyn clearly confirms that Kim Glasco did indeed speak out at board meetings contrary to the above BS from the NBoC. This does not look good on the ballet. Their dishonesty strongly suggests Kudelka fired Glasco NOT for artistic reasons but because she spoke out at board meetings and didn’t support him when he ran for artistic director in 1995. For them to appeal a ruling that Glasco be temporarily reinstated while the arbitrator decides on the case is very cruel. This has dragged on far too long. Apparently the NBoC has bottomless pockets when it comes to destroying a living work of art. They certainly don’t pay to keep their talented dancers in Canada. If they did, Jaimie Tapper and Johan Persson would still be at the NBoC rather than the Royal Ballet. <P>The Ballet knows they are wrong. Kimberly Glasco is not artistically incompatible. James Kudelka is the only one at the Ballet who is artistically incompatible. The Doughboy of the Ballet world is on an out of control ego trip paid for by the National Ballet of Canada, taxpayers and every ballet-goer who gives to the Ballet. If you disagree, ask yourself why Kudelka is so obsessed with redoing Petipa’s classics? Why would he erase the “after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov” from the souvenir program for his version of Swan Lake? Why would he fire his best classical dancer and silent actress? A dancer who according to the NBoC’s 98/99 souvenir yearbook is “recognized as one of the world’s finest interpreters of Petipa.” <P>IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO REVIEW THE FACTS, THERE IS ONLY ONE SIDE TO TAKE IN THIS DISPUTE. The side of right will eventually prevail over the side of evil. <P>Below is another fudged version of the truth from Margaret Wente:<P>[quote] “In any event, Ms. Oliphant, like everyone else in this family feud, has a history. She hasn't been on speaking terms with Mr. Kudelka ever since they had a falling-out when he was a ballet school student.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They did have a falling out but they certainly have been on speaking terms since Kudelka’s days at the National Ballet School of Canada. I lifted the below passage from Miss O’s “My Life in Dance.”<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “When he (Kudelka) was twenty-one he told me a story that showed me how angry he had been with me some years earlier when he felt I was interfering with his life.<P>James was walking up the street near my Cabbagetown house. He was sticking a pin into a Plasticine figure which represented me. He turned the corner to see an ambulance outside my house, into which I was being carried. James explained that he was filled with guilt, although of course he was not responsible for what was in fact a minor health problem.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>By the way, I interviewed Betty Oliphant and she was quite protective of James Kudelka. She is not a vindictive woman. It is a shame the National Ballet of Canada doesn’t heed her words of wisdom. Here’s another FACT: James Kudelka never did find the time to graduate from high school. <P>Bottomline: The National Ballet of Canada has no leadership. <BR> <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 7:21 pm 

enjoyed this one, michael....especially the pin-sticking story! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 5:32 am 

Dear All<P>Just a brief word to say that I think it's time to drop the temperature of this debate rather than ratchet it up further.<P>The tradition here on criticaldance is for courteous discussion even on issues where passions run high.<P>So, deep breaths, count to ten, go for a walk round the block, leave replying to a post for a day or so or whatever. Let's carry on the debate, but in a cooler style.<P>Best regards<P>Stuart

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 4:24 pm 

Ouch! I have obviously ruffled the feathers of Dirk’s tutu! I don’t know where he’s coming from with all this talk about incoherent thoughts. I thought I made my points quite clear. As for me gushing over and worshipping Kimberly Glasco, I am happily guilty on BOTH counts! The world revolves around the ballerina! Hail the ballerina! <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 5:09 pm 

dirk, re THIS:<BR> <BR>"4. There's more to life than worship."<P>- but he does it so WELL!<P>michael: LOL!<P>i THINK you DID make your points QUITE clear!<P>dirk the second time:<P>i think Lawson's letter is a good one. thanks Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 4:12 am 

succinct analysis, dirk......<P>i guess some of us have a bit of affection for michael's passionate side! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 8:04 pm 

Image<P>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited July 07, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited July 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 8:12 pm 

The world revolves around Kimberly Glasco! Image<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited July 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 8:18 pm 

Hail Kimberly Glasco! Image<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited July 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 8:32 pm 

I'm Michael Goldbarth and I am the number one Kimberly Glasco fan on the planet! Kimberly Anne Glasco is all things wonderful and I don't care who knows it! She is the goddess of dance, a ballerina siren extraordinaire! From row double D in the front orchestra all the way to the starry heights of row double Z in the rear balcony—Kimberly Glasco shoots rays and rays and rays of stage charisma! This ballerina knows how to shine. Kimberly Glasco has the glowing face and beaming body of which National Ballet of Canada dreams are made on. No dancer— past, present, or future—could out flirt Glasco in Kenneth MacMillan’s Elite Syncopations! Woooooo! The world revolves around Kimberly Glasco! Hail Kimberly Glasco! Image<P>I am afraid of no one: Not Dirk, James Kudelka, his Nutcracker Bears, Allen Marple, Henry Pankratz, nor Valerie Wilder. Okay, I lied! I am afraid of Valerie Wilder! Yes readers of Criticaldance, they know who I am! Kudelka’s Nutcracker bears have been put on full alert. It’s their job to take care of anybody who upsets Valerie Wilder! Incidentally, it is very unwise to mock the size of their ears. Kudelka’s bears take great offense to being called “big ears.” Image<P>If only the above were true: I highly doubt Kudelka and company read Criticaldance despite Dirk’s belief that I am “playing right into their hands.” Believe you me, their egos are so immense in size, ballet fans like you and moi, do not exist in their world. This is about keeping the workers in their place. To them Kimberly Glasco is nothing more than a slave ballerina. They thought Kimberly was going to be a good little ballerina and sit out the rest of the 98/99 season without a peep! Surprise! Kim Glasco, former submissive ballerina, turned on her ballet masters! After years of complying to the every whim of Kudelka’s ballet mistresses, she demi-pliés no more. I always suspected the heart of a rebel beating beneath that exterior of mime and virtue! Dance ballerina dance! The world revolves around Kimberly Glasco! Hail Kimberly Glasco! Image<BR> <BR> When she debuts in the fall as my Dulcinea in Don Quixote, only fans who clap until their hands “bleed” will be allowed into the Hummingbird Centre! Before any fan even steps one foot into Kimberly Glasco’s musical water globe, a.k.a. the Hummingbird Centre, they will be required to shatter a champagne flute with their ‘bravos.’ We will shatter all records for curtain calls! We will shatter every light at the Hummingbird Centre with our bravos! We WILL blow off the roof with our cheers! Kimberly Glasco will be covered in a bed of white and red roses! The Dom Perignon will be flowing! I know what you’re thinking: “How will I be able to drink champagne with all those shattered flutes?” I’ll be toasting Kimberly “The Goddess of Dance” Glasco with my autographed Glasco pointe shoe! Yes, even Kimberly’s feet smell wonderful! The world revolves around Kimberly Glasco! Hail Kimberly Glasco! Image <BR>It is a shame that Dirk will be missing out on all of the above! Every word Dirk scribbled merely proved my pointe that Kimberly Glasco is a dance goddess! What other ballerina could inspire such prose? Thanks for proving my pointe Dirk. And a special thank you to the wonderful writers of Frasier. I liberated some of their hilarious writing for my opening salvo to Dirk! Those of you who are regular viewers will recognize it from the episode: “I Hate Frasier Crane.” Of course, I don’t hate Dirk. Cherrio! The world revolves around Kimberly Glasco! Hail Kimberly Glasco! Image<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 9:01 pm 

I have been offline for a while, but feel obligated to pipe up here.<P>For quite some time prior to the ramblings of Mr. Goldbarth being presented here on criticaldance, dirk and I had some very (I think) healthy discussions on the NBoC saga.<P> I would say that I am willingly in the minority on this issue and have stated so as clearly as possible. dirk, contrary to the insanity presented in this current thread, has been a steadfast supporter of Ms. Glasco, contrary to myself. <P>I would say that he and Mr. Goldbarth share the same view, but I think that would cheapen the depth of dirk's many posting.<P>While Grace and others may feel Mr. Goldbarth's posts are humerous, I disagree.<P> It's a free web, and I will not try to push my sensibilities on others, however name calling of participants (whom are obviously talented and have provided much to dance in Canada, whether you agree with the most recent happenings)ranting and pounding fists in the air and posting fan letters that have as much to do with the weighty issues being discussed as a 9 year old school girl's letter to Ricky Martin.<P>I disagree with dirk, but he has earned my respect and I have learned from the discussion. <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next