public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Art of Observation - as dancers - as audience ..
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:57 pm 

As dancers and dance teachers and lovers of dance one of the things we learn is to observe.<P>Part of the learning process for any dance student is to learn to observe quickly, thoroughly and to transmit that observation into reality within our own bodies. An experienced dancer can see a combination set in class once - and from that single observation, dance the combination full out - feet, arms, head, nuance. <P>This New York Times article speaks of how art can teach some of these powers of observation that are so crucial to the student medical doctor:<P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/02/science/02FRIC.html" TARGET=_blank>By Observing Art Medical Students Learn the Art of Observation</A><P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Art of Observation - as dancers - as audience ..
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 5:14 pm 

Thanks Basheva, I just brought this article to the attention of my friend who will be a doctor soon. Always neat to see when art is seen as really being p'art' of the world and applied in various ways.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Art of Observation - as dancers - as audience ..
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2001 6:16 am 

Another group that could use it - police. They are also trained to be quick observers and in my personal experience (I was hit by a car as a pedestrian) one of them at least could surely use it.<P>I was not hurt - but he got my age wrong (couldn't subtract the year from the date of my birth) my hair color wrong, and my eyes. I have very dark brown eyes, and he reported them as being blue.<P>Good thing there was no trial and he was not a witness.<P>I was on my way to ballet class (where else?) and when I told my classmates this, from then on whenever I walked into class everyone would start singing: You Turn My Brown Eyes Blue ...........

Profile E-mail