CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exploitation of Pygmies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:36 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dancing pygmies spark protest<P>BRUSSELS (Reuters) - An exhibit featuring singing and dancing pygmies in a small Belgian town has enraged African immigrants and sparked a protest involving some 100 people, local media has reported.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020727/od_uk_nm/oukoe_belgium_pygmies_1 target=_blank>More</a> on Yahoo! News

Post subject: Re: Exploitation of Pygmies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:00 am 

I wonder what they would have to say about this:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000410 target=_blank>Alonzo King's Lines Ballet & the Central African BaAka</a>

(Edited to fix link)

<small>[ 08-09-2002, 01:28: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:10 pm 

Although I haven't read ALL the reviews, the whisper of 'exploitation' was heard roundabout here in Seattle when they were here, apparently in the question/answer period following the show. I frankly don't get it. If the African dancers came freely, and collaborated in the process, what's the deal? Why is that exploitation? Aren't we wanting to engage in cross-cultural artistic collaboration? If everyone just stays in their own little artistic cubbyhole, how can that happen? Sometimes, it seems like people get damned if they do, and damned if they don't, so to speak.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited July 31, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:25 pm 

Quote:
Pygmies' Exhibition Causes Uproar

By CONSTANT BRAND, Associated Press Writer

YVOIR, Belgium (AP) - Marie Alem and nine other Pygmies came to Belgium two months ago and built a traditional village, complete with huts and life-size figures at a private nature park. more

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:05 pm 

Would people have been so upset had Belgium not had an unsavory colonial past? Perhaps it was naivete on the part of Louis Raets, but from what I've read, I don't understand why it would be offensive. But maybe the way it was presented made it so.

What does seem a bit odd to me is the terminology used in the article:

Quote:
Raets, who said he paid the air fares for the five female and five male Pygmies...
It makes it sound as if they're a different species. If they were Italian, for instance, wouldn't they have been referred to as five Italian women and five Italian men?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:23 pm 

Oh, dear, lord, you are right, djb. That is bizarre. It's like counting cattle! Urgh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:20 am 

Here's an observation made purely on what I've gleaned from articles read. Reading words like "exhibition" and "nature park" bring thoughts of the "zoo" order.

I also think it does a disservice to Alonzo King and company to bring a past work of collaboration into this discussion, like comparing apples to oranges really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:59 am 

Yes, but having seen that piece, there wasn't that much collaboration. They did their thing, the ballerinas did the Alonzo thing with very little overlap. I will mention that those pygmies were professional performers. They had performed internationally, according to the program notes. That took away any feeling of exploitation fears I might of had otherwise.

When I read these articles, my first thought was, "Were these the same pygmies I saw, the professional performers?"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:09 am 

Sorry for being misinterpreted. As indicated in my comments leading to the LINES link, I am wondering if the protesters would protest any performance, no matter how legitimate, that featured pygmies as part of its marketing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:34 am 

Azlan, thank you for clarification on that point. Sensitivity should be a key component in collaborations of cross-cultures.