public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artists vs Dot-Coms
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 7:54 pm 

It's frightening, isn't it? In a way, California is a capitalistic model gone awry. The gap is widening ridiculously. I was appalled a few years ago to find out how low the median salary is. And now it's even worse.<P>Yes, the rich is getting richer. I have to agree with Bek in that there are opportunists who are taking advantage of the situation. It may not necessarily however be the fault of the landlords themselves; the situation is a little more complicated than that. Not being a financial analyst myself, I can't make an expert opinion but I do know there are individuals who are making investments that shall we say "push the envelope in credibility." The voracious appetite of these investors forces the investees to follow a course of irresponsible commercial behavior (for example, if you take a good hard look, there are many dot-com firms that are not worth the value of their stock). This kind of irresponsible behavior has a ripple effect through our economy.<P>San Franciscans will vote soon on two competitive measures; both of which are meant to slow growth in the City, thus keeping rents down. Frankly, I think both these measures are only temporary solutions. Investors with smarts will always find a loophole.<P>The solution has to come from some place deeper within the American psyche.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited September 28, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 8:47 am 

From an article by Jeanne Carstensen in SF Gate, in which she tries to get a grip on the situation and a resolution:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"All we need is a good floor." <P>Sounds reasonable, unless you happen to be a dancer in San Francisco, where the real-estate-market-on-steroids is driving rents into the stratosphere and nonprofits into the streets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/eguide/archive/2000/08/24/dance.dtl&type=performance" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:23 pm 

Hmm, an opinion from Bill Schwartz:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>SAN FRANCISCO IS in grave danger of losing its artistic community and along with it, its artistic edge, making life here pretty darn dull. The real estate market is squeezing out the artists, severely depleting the richness of our urban life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/11/ED109238.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:25 pm 

And here's a SF Chronicle report on a rally/conference held by artists this past weekend:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The political debate over the gentrification of San Francisco turned artsy this weekend as scores of artists staged a three-day ``displacement conference'' in a South of Market warehouse.<P>...<P>Davis pointed to one display where visitors were asked to critique candidates running for the Board of Supervisors. People wrote nasty comments next to some of the candidates' names, especially those seen as allies of Mayor Willie Brown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/11/DD30875.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 2:10 pm 

SF musicians are joining in the fray:<P>James Sullivan, SF Chronicle<BR><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/21/DD65878.DTL" TARGET=_blank>San Francisco Musicians Raising Their Voices to Protest Evictions</A></B><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2000 9:45 pm 

And here we have an interesting twist to the story, with dot-commers coming to the aid of Lines Contemporary Ballet's SF Dance Center:<P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/eguide/archive/2000/09/25/venturedance.dtl" TARGET=_blank>Shall We Dance?<BR>Dot-Com venture philanthropists leap in to save SF Dance Center</A></B><BR>by Jeanne Carstensen, SF Gate

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:41 pm 

From Dance Mission Theater:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>STATE OF EMERGENCY <BR>Artists Propose Solutions <BR> <BR>!!!!!!! Rally Demonstration !!!!!!!!! <P> City Hall, San Francisco <P> Wednesday, OCT 4, 10:00AM <P>!!!!!!!!!!!! BE THERE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <P>On October 4th, we the Artist Eviction Defense Coalition is calling a demonstration at City Hall to protest the evictions of major dance spaces and non-profit offices in San Francisco and to propose specific solutions to the Finance Committee of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. <P>This event was originally called as a response to the impending eviction of Dance Mission. Dance Mission has spearheaded a team of artists, and arts administrators including Jack Davis, (Somar) Debra Walker, (Visual Artist,) Krissy Keefer (Dance Mission/Dance Brigade), Andrew Wood, (ODC) Jeff Jones, (Queer Cultural Center) Jonathan Youtt (Cell Space) (members of Galeria de a Raza) and Keith Hennessy, (848 Community Space ) to create a multileveled economic plan in response to the STATE OF EMERGENCY the art’s community currently faces. <P>Before the Finance Committee meeting there will be a rally/demonstration with performances by Dance Brigade, Steamroller, Jose Navarette, 848 Community Space, Allan Frias HipHop Performance, John Leanos, Victoria McNichol Kelly and others. Everyone is coming in celebration and costume. <P>We really need YOU to come. I am making a personal appeal to please find a way to get off work, change appointments, get out of bed. If we do not slow down development in SF we will not have a city that we recognize as the one where we live, work, and visit and that we love. <P>This will be a peaceful and forceful and strong and beautiful presentation reflecting who and what we are passionate about. <BR> <P>Thanks so much. <P>Krissi Keefer <BR> <P>___________ <BR>Krissy Keefer, kkwickedwitch@yahoo.com <BR>415.826.4401<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:50 pm 

Meanwhile LINES Contemporary Ballet SF Dance Center is still trying to find solutions:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Our December 2001 deadline is looming large to vacate our San Francisco Dance Center building and rents are sky rocketing in the area. A team from new economy companies has announced a strategy designed to save SFDC.<BR>To learn more about our search for a solution, visit the latest media articles:<BR>SFGate <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/eguide/archive/2000/09/25/venturedance.dtl" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/eguide/archive/2000/09/25/venturedan ce.dtl</A> <BR>Business 2.0 <A HREF="http://www.business2.com/content/insights/dailyinsights/2000/09/14/18758" TARGET=_blank>http://www.business2.com/content/insights/dailyinsights/2000/09/14/18758</A> <BR>CoStar Group <A HREF="http://www.costargroup.com/news/story.asp?id=22067" TARGET=_blank>http://www.costargroup.com/news/story.asp?id=22067</A><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited September 30, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:01 pm 

I have been mulling this topic for over a week, trying to figure out exactly how to express my opinion—especially difficult since it is not cut and dry. And because I felt I was going to be fighting Righteous Indignation with Righteous Indignation. <P>Personal History – I spent all of my life, with the exception of three years of my middle youth, living on the San Francisco Peninsula. That is until two years ago when I moved to Sacramento. I was making good money, but not good enough, so I headed off to greener (read: cheaper) pastures. I fully empathize with the various personalities involved in this drama.<P>Economics 101 – To blame the “dot.com” companies and their windfall of the late 90’s for the rise in rents and mortgages is ridiculous. It was going to happen anyway. The city of San Francisco is less than 50 square miles…and it is all built up. There is nowhere to inexpensively build new buildings unless you consider expanding out into the Bay (and if you think about the Marina district during the earthquake of ’89 you would probably reconsider it). Where a commodity becomes scarce (in this case housing), it becomes more valuable. By natural population growth things were going to get more expensive.<P>Reality: Ground Zero – How about a little proportion here? I understand that most of the people who read this are either artists or appreciators of art. As a member of the latter, I truly sympathize with the cries that “art” is being pushed out of the City (maybe some of it could make its way over here). But there is a far more serious issue at hand that everyone seems to be ignoring. While this company may have lost a place to practice, there are people who are losing their homes. And I am not talking just about those folks like myself that have to relocate; I mean they are out on the streets.<P>Self-Check: I am all for political activism, and I don’t think this cause is without merit, but if you focus solely on the needs of the Art Community without considering how you might help others less fortunate, how are you any better than the dot.com employees you berate? I don’t think there are any easy answers, but I think that social/political/economic reform should be about more than just “me getting what I think I deserve.”<P>Umm… I know you wouldn’t think of it by reading this, but really I am a nice guy.<BR>Bob/"Red"<P>------------------<BR>"Learn from the Past.<BR> Prepare for the Future.<BR> Act in the Present."<BR> -the Rogue Wolf

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:45 pm 

Rogue Wolf, thanks for the thoughtful response and for the "bigger picture." I agree with you in that the real estate market is indeed so out of control in the Bay Area that it is forcing not just artists but even people with good salaries out of the region.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:39 pm 

News from City Hall:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>HEARINGS ON NON-PROFIT DISPLACEMENT AT CITY HALL, WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 4 <BR> <BR> <BR>11:30AM HEARINGS IN THE CHAMBERS OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS<P>The Finance Committee of the Board of Supervisors (Ammiano, Bierman & Yee), have set aside their meeting this Wednesday October 4 to hear the grievances of the arts community in regards to the San Francisco space crisis and the displacement of artists. In response, artists in solidarity with other non-profit community activists, have come up with a proposed solution to these problems. The proposal will help both arts organizations and a broad range of community serving non-profits stay in the City by getting the buildings that house their organizations off the open market and earmarked for non-profit uses. There is a brief description of this three part plan outlined below.<P>Many, many people have strong personal stories about their experiences with rent increases and evictions these past couple of years. All are encouraged to attend to tell their stories and to voice their concerns at the rate of displacement of artist and other non-profit spaces. veryone is encouraged to dress for the occasion and bring banners, signs and musical instruments. Class with Kim Epifano is optional but encouraged. <BR> <BR> <BR>Proposed Non-Profit Emergency Plan<P>Short-Term Plan. From the present through 2001.<BR>The Board of Supervisors to request that the City & County of San Francisco and private sector foundations identify and distribute $2,000,000 to arts production facilities and non-profit organizations that are available for multi-group use. These would be distributed in sums from $20,000 to $80,000 with the purpose of offsetting rent increases and keeping these facilities open in the short term.<P>Mid-Term Plan. From 2001-2002 By December 1 2000 the Board of Supervisors convene a community task force that will work with the Mayor's Office and the Board of Supervisors throughout 2001 to identify strategies, legislative remedies, ad valorum and special sources of funds to address the displacement of non-profit uses in San Francisco. The purpose would be the acquisition of existing shared facilities for a broad range of non-profit uses.<P>Long-Term Plan. 2001 and beyond. <BR>Working from the plan put forth by the Task Force, the Mayor's Office and the Board of Supervisors identify and support funding strategies targeted at state, federal and major private resources including low interest loans that can be used for the construction, rehabilitation and purchase of newmulti-use non-profit facilities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 6:50 pm 

A note from the Artists Eviction Defense Coalition:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Eviction-related (not just arts evictions, folks)<BR>events through 10/14<P><BR>* * * WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 11 * * *<P><BR>5:30pm @ Centro Del Pueblo (474 Valencia, 2nd Fl. in<BR>back):<BR>MAC Base-Building Committee meets to plan for a<BR>community forum on 10/26. Themes: election<BR>propositions, eviction defense organizing, and<BR>community planning process. The program, logistics<BR>and outreach sub-groups meet all at once then get<BR>together. Important time to plug in!<P><BR>6pm @ Centro Del Publo (474 Valencia, 2nd Fl. in back<BR>[yes, same spot-we’ll work it out]):<BR>Speakers’ Training for Proposition L. Learn about the<BR>history, the details, differences between L (yay!) and<BR>K (boo!), and specific strategies for different S.F.<BR>neighborhoods. Group training: 951-2426.<P><BR>6:30pm @ O.D.C. Theatre (3153 17th St. @ Shotwell):<BR>The Artists Eviction Defense Coalition (AEDC) holds<BR>their organizing/strategy/update session.<P><BR>6:30pm - 10… @ Redstone Building (16th/Capp):<BR>Processional art-building for the Chasky Celebration<BR>(10/14, see below). Corn, housing, snakes, etc. Look<BR>for sign on the Redstone’s front door pointing the way<BR>to Art and Revolution’s workshop.<P><BR>* * * THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12 * * *<P><BR>10am @ City Hall: Take On Abusive Power-Plays in City<BR>Government!<BR>Board of Supervisors’ Rules Committee. New<BR>appointements to the Planning Commission will be<BR>questioned (5th agenda item) in light of the crooked<BR>moves to oust Commissioner Antenore and install two<BR>real estate brokers. COME OUT TO DEFEND APPROPRIATE<BR>PROCEDURE IN CITY GOVERNMENT! <P><BR>12 Noon @ MHDC (474 Valencia, 2nd Floor all the way in<BR>back):<BR>MAC Structure Committee - help the idea-folks forge a<BR>smooth operating procedure for the group.<P><BR>6pm - 8pm @ Ark of Refuge (1025 Howard St.):<BR>District 6 Children and Youth Supervisors Candidate<BR>Forum. Youth make candidates answer questions and<BR>support Children and Youth Platform. Dist. 6<BR>youth/youth workers call Taj: 239-0161.<P><BR>6:30pm - 10… @ Redstone Building (16th/Capp):<BR>Processional art-building for the Chasky Celebration<BR>(10/14, see below). Corn, housing, snakes, etc. Look<BR>for sign on the Redstone’s front door pointing the way<BR>to Art and Revolution’s workshop.<P><BR>* * * FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13 * * * <P><BR>5:30pm @ La Raza Centro Legal (474 Valencia, #295):<BR>MAC Direct Action Committee meets. Preparing for<BR>actions to support the 17th/Folsom auto-body shop<BR>facing eviction, a "tour of shame" for election week,<BR>and more! Please come and help these efforts.<P><BR>* * * SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14 * * *<P><BR>10am-Noon @ 522 Valencia Street (near 16th St.), 3rd<BR>Floor OR 409 Clayton St.:<BR>"Yes on Proposition L" campaign literature drop<BR>mobilization. Pick up precinct maps and literature. <BR>It takes one person about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drop<BR>door-to-door. It's fun. It's good exercise..863-5498.<P><BR>11am @ 806 Haight St. (@ Divisadero):<BR>Neighborhood literature drop (Lower Haight, Hayes<BR>Valley, Western Addition) supporting Propositions H<BR>(rent increases/capital improvement projects) and N<BR>(TIC condo conversions). HRC: 703.8634.<P><BR>5pm @ Horace Mann Middle School (3351 23rd St. @<BR>Valencia): CHASKY CELEBRATION!<BR>"La Lucha Continua - The Struggle For Land" Join the<BR>celebration, arts, music and neighborhood procession. <BR>This displacement **** goes back a long, long way…<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 7:32 pm 

From the SF Chronicle:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>They sang, danced, banged on drums and performed skits. But this was no celebration. <P>On the steps of City Hall, hundreds of artists showcased their talents Wednesday as a way to demonstrate what could be lost in San Francisco if skyrocketing rents continue to squeeze them out of the market.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/2000/10/05/NEWS13582.dtl" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 7:38 pm 

Ken Garcia of the SF Chronicle makes his opinions quite clear:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Lucky for the mayor that he won't have to worry about another term, because at the rate people are being evicted from the city, he's running out of potential supporters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/05/MN52342.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 7:42 pm 

Ilene Lelchuk of the SF Examiner offers a different view:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Kearny Street Workshop isn't alone. A survey released Tuesday says San Francisco Dance Center, SF Cameraworks and about 50 other arts organizations - located mostly downtown and South of Market Street - have leases expiring by December 2001 and therefore could be at risk of losing out because of hiked rents or the sale of their building. <P>The good news, the artists say, is that City Hall is finally paying attention. <P>Mayor Willie Brown on Tuesday announced sweeping plans to build office space for performers, artists and nonprofits and offer them at least $7 million in grants.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/2000/10/04/NEWS6207.dtl" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next