CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rolex Mentor and Protege Arts Initiative
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:52 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Today's Master Artists Guide Tomorrow's, Through the Rolex Mentor and Protege Arts Initiative<BR>International Philanthropic Program - the First of Its Kind - Brings Together Greatly Talented Younger Artists with Leading Figures in Their Fields<P>NEW YORK, June 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Writers Toni Morrison and Ariel Dorfman, soprano Jessye Norman, directors Robert Wilson and Sir Peter Hall, choreographer William Forsythe, artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude, joined with other renowned figures at The Frick Collection today to welcome five younger artists into their rank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020613/nyth009_2.html target=_blank>More</a>, in Yahoo! News

Post subject: Re: Rolex Mentor and Protege Arts Initiative
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:38 pm 

That's very cool. I'm big on the idea of mentor/mentee relationships - there's so much to learn from someone who's been there already. Often our relationships with teachers or significant (in our individual lives) choreographers have elements of mentorship, but it's not institutionalized or formalized in any way. <P>Are there any similar programs for people who are further down the food chain?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:47 am 

Good question, Priscilla. I would think this sort of thing happens on an informal, on-going basis, does it not? Or am I being naive here?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:15 pm 

Hi Azlan. Yes, I agree it does happen in an informal way, but I wonder what a more organized or planned approach to mentorship would be like. For my job I've recently been doing some interviews with new K-12 teachers and administrators who were involved with a mentorship program. Hearing about how differently structured participation (more planned out, less planned out, types of correspondence and contact, etc.) affected the success of the mentorship was really interesting, so I've been thinking a little bit about situations where it's a formalized agreement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:00 pm 

Ther are some examples in the UK. The Resolution! season in London for new and developing choreographers has tried a mentor scheme and David Bintley (AD of Birmingham Royal Ballet) mentored a piece by Akram Khan and Mavin Khoo a couple of years ago.<P>I don't have any info. on the success or otherwise of these schemes.