home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ART - DANCE - RELIGION
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:41 am 

Quote:
"Burqa Band": the Afghan girl band made in a day

AFP

BERLIN (AFP) - It began in Kabul as a joke, but with the help of a few German musicians Afghanistan (news - web sites)'s all-girl rock group "Burqa Band" was formed in the space of a day and has hit the airwaves and clubs in Germany. <a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030803/od_afp/lifestyle_germany_030803044519 target=_blank>more on Yahoo</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:38 pm 

Dance, wine, altar girls split Vatican
From The Toronto Star

VATICAN CITY—A proposed crackdown on some practices during mass including dancing, use of altar girls and serving wine at communion is said to have split top Vatican officials.....

.....the draft denounces applause or dance performances during mass.

But the Pope himself has presided over several ceremonies, during trips abroad and in St. Peter's Basilica that featured dancing and singing. And he has been applauded at formal ceremonies and during informal visits to Rome parishes.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:58 am 

Muslims dance with Hindus in Ahmedabad's Navratri
Indo-Asian News Service

The Navratri festival seems to have transcended religious barricades here, over a year after horrible sectarian violence, with Muslims matching footsteps with Hindus during the "Garba" dance.

So in a city infamous for its sectarian divides, don't be surprised to see a stage with an idol of goddess Amba set up in the heart of predominantly Muslim neighbourhoods like Behrampura.

"This is not a Hindu-Muslim issue. This is a matter of faith," Moyunnuddin Khan Pathan, a senior citizen of the neighbourhood, told IANS.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:16 am 

I once talked with a christian friend of mine who was agianst dancing. Being a christian myself, I have always prefered to worship God with dance. I have often found it the best way for me to express my deepest worship for God, provided I didn't get distracted. I just love to express the freedom, joy and adoration in movement.
In talking with my friend, I mostly understood, that she was afraid of dancing for God, because she would enjoy it too much. Enjoying it would meen giving in to the flesh, not fighting against it. She was afraid to loose control. She was afraid of what would be unloosed in her if she gave into the expression of her feelings. She was afraid, most importantly, that it would be fake. She was afraid of enjoying dancing for the sake of it, under the pretence of being done for God. She was afraid that she would get lost in the dance, get super emotional about God, when infact it would be empty emotion without action, without any cocrete realness to it. I can minourly understand her even though I strongly dissagree with her. I also don't think it's psychologicaly healthy to avoid any physical expression of religion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:45 am 

While I am a dancer myself, I don't find it easy to worship through dance. I acknowledge that my talent is a God-given gift, and in everything I do, especially my ballet, my aim is to bring glory to God, but when I am actually dancing I find it hard to use that as a medium for worship or prayer. Possibly because I feel that my dancing is so unworthy, or that I've disected it so much that it's no-longer spiritual for me. Many people at my church ask me to dance in services (*gasp*) but I always feel un-easy about it. I am not against dancing at all, but I, personally, can only at this stage use my dance to communicate to people, not God. Everyone worships differently, so if one can't worship through dance that doesn't make dance a bad thing, or mean that it can't bring glory to God. I don't know if it is appropriate to talk so openly about my spirituality on the critical dance forum, but I feel it's important to discuss these things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:17 pm 

I find it hard to worship God in dance when pride gets in the way. I can do the same movements but when pride is in my head, it's comunicating pride not adoration. So if I'm ever against dancing, it's when I'm struggling with pride.
You know though, kneeling when praying, or going down the isle to get communion are also a "body gesture" that are psychologically good for the observant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:43 am 

I completely aggree!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:08 am 

This case is drawing a lot of attention in the UK:

Foster call to stage Behzti play withdrawn after author’s plea
By Ruth Gillespie for The Stage

Foster decided to abandon his proposal after receiving a message asking him not to go ahead from writer Gurpreet Kaur Bhatti, who has gone into hiding following an increase in threats.

click for more

Theatres and religious leaders to hold summit
By Ruth Gillespie for The Stage

Meanwhile manager of the Birmingham Stage Company Neal Foster has challenged theatres throughout the UK and Ireland to stage simultaneous readings of Gurpreet Kaur Bhatt’s script to allow the controversial play to be viewed by as many people as possible around the country.

click for more

Profile E-mail